Backing up saves

This is a discussion on Backing up saves within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; If I copy all my save files to a USB is it safe to delete the files off of the ...

Bob 'n' Becca

Backing up saves

If I copy all my save files to a USB is it safe to delete the files off of the ps3? If I do that can I easily put them back on my system using the USB? I'm asking because in trying to clear up some space on my hard drive. And before anyone suggests it I already have ps+ and I used that backup method but that seems to be getting clogged lately.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Change is mediocre

Yeah I'm sure you can as long as the save isn't protected. I transferred important saves from my YLOD ps3 (but sadly missed a few ) and I'm quite sure I could just go back and delete them if I wanted to.

PRO Member

Yea,it should be fine.

Just double check it's on the USB before you delete it from PS3 to be safe.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

PRO Member

I think it's about time I backed up my saves I've got every save file since I 1st got a PS3 back in 2009? Any suggestions to what I should back up my save files to? This is how much Free space I have: 82GB / 298GB

Sig by Smashguy

Bob 'n' Becca

I'm going to experiment with a file that I don't think I'll need to be on the safe side. And thanks everyone. This site always gives me prompt answers.

Negator

You're fine to back up your saves to a USB thumbdrive, but keep in mind that save files take up practically no space at all. It's the GAME INSTALL DATA that takes up most of the space, so if I were you, I'd delete the game data for things you don't play any more.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA View Post
    I think it's about time I backed up my saves I've got every save file since I 1st got a PS3 back in 2009? Any suggestions to what I should back up my save files to? This is how much Free space I have: 82GB / 298GB
    A USB flash stick for unprotected saves, PS+ for protected saves. That's practically your only two options and the best way to use the limited PS+ storage until the 1GB limit kicks in.

As Helyx said, saves use very little storage (except Afrika @ 320MB...wtf?), Game Data is the killer. Back up your saves for data redundancy in case of hardware failure, not to free up space.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    You're fine to back up your saves to a USB thumbdrive, but keep in mind that save files take up practically no space at all. It's the GAME INSTALL DATA that takes up most of the space, so if I were you, I'd delete the game data for things you don't play any more.
    Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    A USB flash stick for unprotected saves, PS+ for protected saves. That's practically your only two options and the best way to use the limited PS+ storage until the 1GB limit kicks in.

As Helyx said, saves use very little storage (except Afrika @ 320MB...wtf?), Game Data is the killer. Back up your saves for data redundancy in case of hardware failure, not to free up space.
    ok cool, thanks for the advice.

Sig by Smashguy

Angel of Death

I think the file's are just locked to the PSN account, so I think you should be all set.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    I think the file's are just locked to the PSN account, so I think you should be all set.
    Many saves are locked to prevent copying to USB as an anti-hacking measure. The only way to back them up is PS+.

Locked saves (copy-prohibited) can be transferred to another PS3, but they're removed from the original PS3 in the process. They can only exist on one PS3 at a time, unless you use PS+ as middleware.

\(^o^)/ (・。・)

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Yes, that is right. To the OP, only delete your game data that you no longer need (i.e., for games that you have completed or stopped playing). All my save data take up only less than 100 MB of data, whereas game data can go up into the GB's. So only delete your game data, and even if you have backed up your unprotected game saves into a thumbdrive or external storage, do not delete them from your PS3 as well! This is just a safeguard against your PS3 sometimes not recognizing restored game saves from the same thumbdrive, etc; yes, this happens to some unlucky users through a game save ID malformation, like the PS3 not recognizing the ID anymore. The game saves have their own ID associated with the user account ID (yours), and if modified even a bit in the computer, even just transferring, that ID can get malformed.

You can still delete really, really old game saves that you do not truly need anymore, in either case. Just back them up first, and keep only the newer game saves in your PS3 for now.
    | Avatar by In2 | | Sig by Athena |

Bob 'n' Becca

I realised a while back that the majority of space is eaten by the game data and downloaded titles and not actual save files but I was still trying to create some space. But now that I know that the ps3 will sometimes not read my backups I'll refrain from outright deleting anything I think I may need.