What motivates people to be...

This is a discussion on What motivates people to be... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; ...gigantic doucebags. Just curious because I'm minding my own business trying to help one of my friends get some trophies ...

Lvl 10 - Platinum

What motivates people to be...

...gigantic doucebags. Just curious because I'm minding my own business trying to help one of my friends get some trophies and some idiot shoots me in the head. Not a big deal since I don't really care about dying since I do it all the time and there really isn't a penalty for dying. So i respawn and some guy kills me again and again and again for no apparent reason other than I'm there. We eventually switch lobbies and there just happens to be some asses in that lobby that kill me and my friend for no reason. This goes on and on for about an hour until I realize I can't really help him get some trophies if we just keep dying over and over so I stop playing. I'm not saying that I've never been a dick and shot someone just for fun, but why is it that people will continue shooting someone who is not even moving or paying attention for no reason? It's not like they were getting anything out of it because they were fully leveled and prestiged several times over. Anybody got any thoughts about this?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ferretbusiness View Post
    ...gigantic doucebags. Just curious because I'm minding my own business trying to help one of my friends get some trophies and some idiot shoots me in the head. Not a big deal since I don't really care about dying since I do it all the time and there really isn't a penalty for dying. So i respawn and some guy kills me again and again and again for no apparent reason other than I'm there. We eventually switch lobbies and there just happens to be some asses in that lobby that kill me and my friend for no reason. This goes on and on for about an hour until I realize I can't really help him get some trophies if we just keep dying over and over so I stop playing. I'm not saying that I've never been a dick and shot someone just for fun, but why is it that people will continue shooting someone who is not even moving or paying attention for no reason? It's not like they were getting anything out of it because they were fully leveled and prestiged several times over. Anybody got any thoughts about this?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well it sounds like some pieces of the story are missing (game, trophy, etc) but I'll throw my 2 cents in. If I were coming home from a hard days work and wanted to throw down some Modern Warefare 3 or Uncharted 3 Multiplayer I would be at least mildly irritated (Again, I feel the full story isnt included so....) I go through spending the time to log in, wait for the load screens, etc, etc just to be thrown into a game with a couple guys with their own agenda and basically dont play the game...............yeah, I might not be thrilled. Now, if you sent me a message and said "heh, looking for the Plat, can you do this or that?...............I would be totally cool with helping a fellow gamer.

Point is this: If you dont at least have the courtesy to message me so I know what the objective is then I might be mildly irritated.................dont think I would shoot you in the head for an hour since now your wasting my time their as well but.........

PRO Member

What is the point of this thread?

Sig by Smashguy

Lvl 7 - Gold

How about setup a private lobby.

If I were the douchebag, I would still be the douchebag. The point is to kill you in that gamemode, I am accomplishing that goal. Trophy boosters accept their random deaths.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Lvl 8 - Gold

Wow... what a big baby

Like a user said before me, you didnt post the game or trophies you was going for. If your playing a game online that requires the other team to kill you, then you cant really blame them for doing their objective. Now if you messaged them with a "i am boosting with a friend, can you stop" then i could see it as being a douce since they ignored your plea for peace.

As another user said, boosters need to accept their random deaths or get out of public and go private lobby. Although boosting isnt frowned upon, its not really an excuse to call others doucebags. ALso, if your playing MW3 and see someone not paying attention, you kill them for the easy kill. I dont understand what you mean as "they keep killing me for no apparent reason".

Sounds like your oblivious to the reason, although if the game allows others to kill you, sounds like thats what your supposed to do.

Resident PHD

You could always try and earn the trophies legit? I don't know what game you are playing but it sounds like a very active online so you should have no problem getting the trophies the proper way.

Boosting should only be done when the online is virtually dead and there is no other way of getting it.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post

If I were the douchebag, I would still be the douchebag. The point is to kill you in that gamemode, I am accomplishing that goal. Trophy boosters accept their random deaths.
    Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    You could always try and earn the trophies legit? I don't know what game you are playing but it sounds like a very active online so you should have no problem getting the trophies the proper way.

Boosting should only be done when the online is virtually dead and there is no other way of getting it.
    I believe one of these is the answer you're looking for.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

i can sum it up to one word....ego
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

Saints Row IV

People hate boosters.....in every game you will boost, someone WILL shoot you,even if you are standing still.You must get used to it or play legit
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

PRO Member

If your gonna boost get fellow boosters to join the lobby your in so people who hate boosting cant join ...other then that your just gonna have to with it.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Whatever happened to trying to earn trophies yourself? These days you have a boosting thread even before the game's released...

Anyway, the OP mentioned prestige so I assume he's talking about MW3. The reason you got killed is because you were boosting. People don't know if you were boosting trophies or stats, so they killed you. I don't have MW3 so I don't know what trophies for it are like, but your friend should try earning them himself.

I don't see the point in boosting but I'd never mess with other people like that. They bought the game so they can do whatever they want with it.

PS

Secret, that's an interesting sig you have there.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Trains View Post
    shocked that trains has nothing to contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Gusto View Post
    Well it sounds like some pieces of the story are missing (game, trophy, etc) but I'll throw my 2 cents in. If I were coming home from a hard days work and wanted to throw down some Modern Warefare 3 or Uncharted 3 Multiplayer I would be at least mildly irritated (Again, I feel the full story isnt included so....) I go through spending the time to log in, wait for the load screens, etc, etc just to be thrown into a game with a couple guys with their own agenda and basically dont play the game...............yeah, I might not be thrilled. Now, if you sent me a message and said "heh, looking for the Plat, can you do this or that?...............I would be totally cool with helping a fellow gamer.

Point is this: If you dont at least have the courtesy to message me so I know what the objective is then I might be mildly irritated.................dont think I would shoot you in the head for an hour since now your wasting my time their as well but.........
    its not like it was just one group of guys doing this since we changed lobbies several times, and each time my friend was sending messages to people to recruit more people to help him so i figure everyone knew what we were doing and just killed us repeatedly anyways, for fun apparently

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post

playing free roam in red dead redemption, the point is not to kill everyone, you can but it is not the point, couldnt get the trophies in private only in public

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    Wow... what a big baby

Like a user said before me, you didnt post the game or trophies you was going for. If your playing a game online that requires the other team to kill you, then you cant really blame them for doing their objective. Now if you messaged them with a "i am boosting with a friend, can you stop" then i could see it as being a douce since they ignored your plea for peace.

As another user said, boosters need to accept their random deaths or get out of public and go private lobby. Although boosting isnt frowned upon, its not really an excuse to call others doucebags. ALso, if your playing MW3 and see someone not paying attention, you kill them for the easy kill. I dont understand what you mean as "they keep killing me for no apparent reason".

Sounds like your oblivious to the reason, although if the game allows others to kill you, sounds like thats what your supposed to do.
    ill agree that if the point was to kill and the game kept track of kills then i would be fine with getting killed, i really doubt any of the people killing us would stop because i asked them to, judging by their voices they were very young and i probably would have been called a fag multiple times since that is what online multiplayer has become to some people

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post

yeah i dont really boost that much, was just trying to help a friend get some tricky online tropies, i have them myself, the online for red dead seems to be either people trying to get online trophies or people just running around killing everyone

Rainbow in the dark

That is just easy pickings with you standing still, if i encounter someone like that online i start to smile and think of different ways to kill you.
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

Rangers F.C

I would recommend shooting back

Banned

If I wasn't playing for trophies I would probably do the same as those guys... I used to pound on the domination boosters in COD... I played the game to compete against people and to win... that's the risk you take when boosting...

... I know the frustration as i've been at both ends... trying to boost K&L2... which I ended up doing most of it legit and somewhat cheating by putting my other ps3 player on the other team... and Medal of Honor... some people just want to play the game and don't give a crap about trophies... so you can't expect people to have it your way.

... just keep at it and try again at different times.

Lvl 8 - Gold

ill agree that if the point was to kill and the game kept track of kills then i would be fine with getting killed, i really doubt any of the people killing us would stop because i asked them to, judging by their voices they were very young and i probably would have been called a fag multiple times since that is what online multiplayer has become to some people
    first off, we still dont know what game you was helping your friend with.

Second, you assume they wouldnt stop just because of their voice? I admit its unlikely, but you could take the time to try. ALso, if there is audio, then you should also be able to mute them.

Lastly, maybe you and your friend are boosting in the wrong area. Obviously you want to find a place to meet that you can get there with out being detected, or slightly difficult to get there. Covered buildings or secret hidden areas are both good examples of where you should meet.

We still dont know what game you was playing, but from the sound of it, its COD

Resident PHD

Second, you assume they wouldnt stop just because of their voice? I admit its unlikely, but you could take the time to try. ALso, if there is audio, then you should also be able to mute them.

Lastly, maybe you and your friend are boosting in the wrong area. Obviously you want to find a place to meet that you can get there with out being detected, or slightly difficult to get there. Covered buildings or secret hidden areas are both good examples of where you should meet.

He mentioned it was Red Dead Redemption.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Banned

... and COD doesn't have MP trophies...

Lvl 10 - Platinum

yeah they got muted after a little while and there isnt a place to hide since red dead has a map that shows where everyone is and fast travel to transport pretty much anywhere its impossible to hide, im not looking for sympathy or tips on how to not get shot, like i said in the original post i dont really care about getting killed since i have the platinum and wasnt looking for trophies myself, im just wondering about the motivations of people to just shoot others that arent bothering them, everyone was already level 50 and killing other players isnt going to get them anything, ive killed people before without provocation but not repeatedly and not without them at least fighting back, whats fun about killing someone whos just standing there for fifteen minutes? just looking to understand the psyche of people that act like that