R18+ For Australia

This is a discussion on R18+ For Australia within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; ACT is the first state/territory to pass the R18+ Law for games in Australia. All states and territories have agreed ...

Crocodile Hunter

R18+ For Australia

ACT is the first state/territory to pass the R18+ Law for games in Australia. All states and territories have agreed to a bill to allow R18+ games after a nation wide campaign from fellow gamers. However despite the bill being passed by federal government, each state and territory must pass the law under its own jurisdiction.

I live pretty close to ACT so ill just make a trip down there to get some games until NSW passes the bill

Source: Joystiq

Sig by Apokolypz

Resident PHD

Soon you will be able to experience this legally

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Change is mediocre

What games (other than Mortal Kombat) classify as R18+? Since most 18+ games are rated 16+ or something there.

Kiwi Defender

And it only took them over a decade. Good to know they're actually using their brains for once.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    And it only took them over a decade. Good to know they're actually using their brains for once.
    lol @ their brains

Ac3 this is cool... if only MK wasn't region locked I'd be able to kick some Aussie ass

Sig by Smashguy

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    What games (other than Mortal Kombat) classify as R18+? Since most 18+ games are rated 16+ or something there.
    Its not so much as letting R18+ here, its about it making a new classification group. which is half the reason why it took so long, they have to redo the whole outdated system to add a new category in. no longer will all the games that might be R18+ be pushed into MA15+ and you will see significant differences from the 2, it will also hopefully stop all the 13 year olds from being able to buy the more graphic games

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

How long this stupid debate took almost made you feel like you wish you weren't an Australian gamer at times.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    I am bumping this question because i also want to know. I am sure there are R18+ game titles out there, but i am not familiar with any. Do you know of any other titles?

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    I am bumping this question because i also want to know. I am sure there are R18+ game titles out there, but i am not familiar with any. Do you know of any other titles?
    Im sure you can google it man, i cant think of any off the top of my head

Sig by Apokolypz

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Crealkllr View Post
    Australia does not yet have any R18+ titles. Most R-rated titles overseas get a more lenient MA15+ in Oz, like God of War III, Killzone 3, Dragon Age, Bioshock, Call of Duty etc.

On rare occassions, games are refused classification (RC) which means they can go back to the publisher for amendment, like Left 4 Dead 2 (gory violence), Fallout 3 (drug use) & GTA IV (prostitution). RC games are prevented from sale in Australia until amended and in each of these cases, minor changes got them across the line.

Some game like Postal 2, Manhunt and Blitz: The League never bother to resubmit to the classification board and are therefore ruled to be unavailable for purchase within Australia. They're not outright banned, they simply remain unclassified until resubmitted to the board. If media is unclassified, it cannot be sold.

More info - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s_in_Australia

The important thing to realise here is this is not legislation to support the freedom of adult gamers to choose what they want to play. The intention is to get adult-themed games out of the hands of kids. Hundreds of games will be bumped to R18+ and a few games previously refused classification will now be passed as R18+, Mortal Kombat being the prime example.
    Last edited by ant1th3s1s; 08-25-2012 at 04:13 AM.

Ghost Assassin

Congrats guys! Now you'll have the full gaming experience that you deserve!

Lvl 6 - Silver

About bloody time! Im gonna be getting me some R18+ too Ac3, road trip to ACT!!!

Uncharted | Ratchet & Clank: aCiT | Uncharted 2 | Heavy Rain | CoD:WaW | Prince of Persia | Resident Evil 5 | Darksiders | Prince of Persia: tFS Assassins Creed 2 | LittleBigPlanet | Modern Warfare 2 | Uncharted 3 | Enslaved: OttW | Battlefield: BC2 | God of War I & II | Mafia II
    NFS: Hot Pursuit | Resistance 2 | Tekken 6 | Bioshock | Star Wars: tFU | Mass Effect | Portal 2 | God of War: CoO & GoS | Tomb Raider

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post

Soon you will be able to experience this legally

awesome that fatality looked sick but i'm going to have have to pop some bubbles for my fellow Aussies, the R18+ rating is coming but the older games will not be re-classified so no MK but what will happen is from the 1st January 2013 all future games will have the new rating system applied when released.

the reason for not re-classifying the current games is that we would have to close our doors (Electronics Boutique & the other shops that sells games as well but they won't have to close their doors) pull every game off the shelf send them back than wait until we get the games back with the new ratings system while in the process losing around $19,230,769 in profits

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON1NINJA View Post
    lol @ their brains

Ac3 this is cool... if only MK wasn't region locked I'd be able to kick some Aussie ass
    we can always buy other regions games & ship them out here that's not hard at all.
    That is the only way we are going to get it out here or so I have been informed by HQ about the situation but they are trying to change that out-come as we know how popular it will be here

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    awesome that fatality looked sick but i'm going to have have to pop some bubbles for my fellow Aussies, the R18+ rating is coming but the older games will not be re-classified so no MK but what will happen is from the 1st January 2013 all future games will have the new rating system applied when released.

the reason for not re-classifying the current games is that we would have to close our doors (Electronics Boutique & the other shops that sells games as well but they won't have to close their doors) pull every game off the shelf send them back than wait until we get the games back with the new ratings system while in the process losing around $19,230,769 in profits
    Fuck a duck. That makes sense and won't damage the industry until the R18+ class rolls out. Thank God there are some sensible heads in government...it was going to be a debacle!

I'd still expect to see Mortal Kombat resubmitted and passed by the classification board, so don't give up on it yet.

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by black__bunny View Post
    About bloody time! Im gonna be getting me some R18+ too Ac3, road trip to ACT!!!
    fuck yeah man

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post

we can always buy other regions games & ship them out here that's not hard at all.
    That is the only way we are going to get it out here or so I have been informed by HQ about the situation but they are trying to change that out-come as we know how popular it will be here
    I know they wont get re classified already but i dnt care much for MK anyway so its no loss, my friend has it anyway so if i ever wanna play it i can borrow it off him. Im happy because now we will get any game that is made in the future

Sig by Apokolypz

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    I know they wont get re classified already but i dnt care much for MK anyway so its no loss, my friend has it anyway so if i ever wanna play it i can borrow it off him. Im happy because now we will get any game that is made in the future
    i'm with you on that 1 mate I have never cared for MK either, but there is a high demand for it & that can't be denied but there is one game I was highly disappointed about being banned here & that was Syndicate, I loved playing Deus Ex Human Revolution & was looking forward to playing it but NOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!! thanx for nothing to our wonderful government

it doesn't matter who runs our country they give themselves payrises for doing nothing but run their mouths all the while denying us our games but more importantly telling the Nurses & Cops & Firefighters that work hard & actually do something for us that they are going to cut their pays wtf cut your government pays & pay our hospitals & community workers more they deserve it their our hero's but I could rant about the government for hours & still not scrape the surface of their problems

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Nope, nothing

Awesome news for you guys

By the way, this is pretty important, something that the members on Facebook etc. might like to know

Lvl 9 - Gold

Took them long enough to do it i think alot more parents will stop buying games for their kids that they really shouldnt be playing now lol seeing a game thats rated M15+ they barely think anything of it.

Crocodile Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by Chambers35 View Post
    Awesome news for you guys

By the way, this is pretty important, something that the members on Facebook etc. might like to know
    cheers man will add it now
    Last edited by Ac3dUd3-; 08-25-2012 at 07:44 AM.

Sig by Apokolypz