Updates issues

This is a discussion on Updates issues within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have a brand new console like couple weeks old,and updating any game for me is pain in the ass, ...

PRO Member

Updates issues

I have a brand new console like couple weeks old,and updating any game for me is pain in the ass, like right now I'm trying to update max Payne for like 15 th time, after couple % it's just stops and just time keeps getting longer, had it with black ops and RDR also. So what is the problem? Cause it's so frustrating and screwed up, that I'm thinking about returning this piece of crap, am I the only one? Ps my connection is great by the way

People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer

Fight the Future

Have you tried restarting your router? Generally when I have an issue like that, restarting the router and PS3 solves the problem.

Lord of all Goat-Men

^^^ this

Also, are you on a wired or wireless connection?

PRO Member

I was forced to restart my router for some reason my ps3 scenes up the router so I don't have connection on any devices, which is my second issue, getting randomly signed out out of PSN

PRO Member

I'm wired...

Negator

I don't really understand all of the issue (sorry), so I'll ask a few questions and such to narrow down the possibilities.

This issue only happens while trying to 'update' (download/install game patches), or does it persist during any online gameplay?

Is your PS3 the only device on your network? What other devices were connected at one point?

I'm assuming you have your Cable/DSL running into a modem, then into a router, then into your PS3?

Have you adjusted your router to open additional ports for use by the PS3?

Have you tried using a 3rd party DNS like Google Public DNS. (completely optional, but can help in some cases)

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

Add your PS3 to the router's DMZ. If you don't know what that means, don't blame Sony for your problems.

Find your router's admin console and read the user manual or help files. Your connection will be right as rain as soon as the ports are configured correctly to allow unfiltered traffic to and from the PS3. The DMZ is the easiest way to do that.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Add your PS3 to the router's DMZ. If you don't know what that means, don't blame Sony for your problems.

Find your router's admin console and read the user manual or help files. Your connection will be right as rain as soon as the ports are configured correctly to allow unfiltered traffic to and from the PS3. The DMZ is the easiest way to do that.
    I have to blame someone, I have 2 friends who have same router model, same modem and internet provider, but they have older consoles, I believe they bought them when they were released, thats why I blame Sony

PRO Member

hmm, maybe there is some odd setting on your router that is not good for the ps3 to work with that you did not know was set like that, maybe if a factory reset to restore all settings to default incase of some dodgy setting...., but you'll lose all your settings(obviously). including wireless network name etc..., seems like the last shot, hmm you could try port forwarding though or DMZ either one, though port forwarding is slightly harder.

Youtube.Com/Kc1597
    Signature By Djunglist (Sigs and Beyond)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

This problem is 99.99% an issue with your connection and not your PS3 console. I suggest you follow the advice of the kind people that have already posted here and see how you get on. Setting up a DMZ is definitely the way forward for gaming anyway, so you should make that happen. In addition, make your console's IP address static so you don't have to keep adjusting the DMZ every time you switch your console on.

The only other thing that comes to mind is your location and ISP. An unstable connection will result in it dropping out randomly. The only way to really fix that is upgrading your Internet provider situation. As Helyx asked you, are there any other devices connected to the same router? If so, they are quite possibly effecting your connection.

Good luck.

PRO Member

I'd suggest putting the ps3 into DMZ mode as well.

It's simpler than opening individual ports and relatively safe for ps3, although I wouldn't recommend it for your PC. This may help If you need it. How to put Ps3 into DMZ

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by UnbreakabuII View Post
    I have to blame someone, I have 2 friends who have same router model, same modem and internet provider, but they have older consoles, I believe they bought them when they were released, thats why I blame Sony
    The model number makes no difference at all. I have 3 PS3s - a launch Fat 60, a Fat 80 and a Slim 120. They all have the same network performance and the network chips in all three models is more than likely exactly the same.

Another couple of suggestions -

Try a different network cable, it could have a dodgy connector.
    Rebuild your Database via the Recovery Menu. I had download issues recently on one of the PS3's and it was a corrupt file that crippled my speed.

By the way, the irony of your sig is palpable. Understand the problem and conquer it instead of apportioning blame and tossing in the towel. The most likely cause is packet filtering in the firewall on your router. Bypass the firewall in the DMZ...problem solved.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    By the way, the irony of your sig is palpable. Understand the problem and conquer it instead of apportioning blame and tossing in the towel.
    And, on that day, +rep was given.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

PRO Member

Well, I got it fixed apparently there was an issue with the console, thanks to my buddy Marek