Lasombra Files Episode 18: The Unknown Hourglass

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files Episode 18: The Unknown Hourglass within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Thanks to having to fly to the UK every other week, I’m now on a first name basis with the ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files Episode 18: The Unknown Hourglass

Thanks to having to fly to the UK every other week, I’m now on a first name basis with the flight staff, V. Okay, we have all the supplies so let’s just go through this portal...what are you waiting for? Me? I’m the boss, besides, ladies first...okay, fine, but we’re paying our own dry cleaning bill this time. Ready...set...JUMP! Why are we surrounded by the Japanese? Am I still on that cocaine bender or is this an acid flashback? Okay, okay, okay, just calm down V, CALM DOWN, everything will be okay. We just need to...who are you? Uh, yeah, thanks for the hourglass? There is no sand in it. Did we just step into a Japanese role-playing game? Find out in Episode 18: The Unknown Hourglass. Spiky Hair? Check! Colourful attire? Check! City-sized creature of intergalactic or mythic proportions? Looks around I said city-sized creature of intergalactic or mythic proportions? There it is. These things look a lot bigger up close.

Name:
    Patrick

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. Picture copyright of its artist/photographer.

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

Patrick: I started gaming when I was around 5 when my dad bought me a Sega Genesis. I used to love playing all of the Sonic the Hedgehog's and Toe Jam and Earl.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

Patrick: At the time (February 2010) I just wanted to play online and didn't really care about my PSN name. I just choose my name and random letters. If I had the chance I would change my ID to something more creative, but I have invested far too much time and effort to getting my platinums. I wouldn't want to start trophy hunting all over again.

Lasombra: What motivated you to become a trophy hunter? What was your initial spark?
    Patrick: I first started becoming interested in trophies when I started playing Fallout 3. I started to love to hear the ping sound when a trophy would pop up and I have been trophy hunting ever since. I also like to test my skills and patience trying to collect platinum trophies against other gamers across the world.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

Patrick: I'd say all 3 of the above. I try to complete my games 100%, and I like to try to obtain a challenging plat. I have a few series I still need to finish (Infamous, Mass Effect, Uncharted, Yakuza), etc

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

Patrick: At least 20 hours a week, but it depends how busy I am. Right now I have been outside a lot more during the summer enjoying the beautiful weather.

Lasombra: What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

Patrick: I like a challenge and it depends how much I enjoy the game. MAG took me over 250+ to platinum, but I really enjoyed the game so I didn't mind the grind trying to get the platinum. GTA IV on the other hand was a boring grind which was hard to keep playing Hangman's Noose for at least 60+ hours doing the same boring repetitive thing over and over again. When I got the plat though I was very proud of myself to acquire such a rare platinum.

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

Patrick: I go through burnouts all of the time. Sometimes I get tired of trying to get time consuming/challenging trophies and just play games for fun like MAG. Gaming is supposed to be fun not tedious.

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum? Why? Was it your hardest?

Patrick: MAG and Yakuza 3. MAG for all of the time and effort because it took 250+ hours and even longer to get the 100% especially considering how challenging it is to get a few of those trophies. Yakuza 3 for the minigames which was the hardest trophy I have ever attempted so far. Other honorable mentions so far include Blur, Demon's Souls, GTA IV, and Killzone 2.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

Patrick: I want to get at least 30 platinums by the end of the year, but it's something I don't really worry about. I prefer quality over quantity, and I only platinum games I enjoy.

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

Patrick: I don't think they should, but then again that's just my opinion. How could you look at your trophy list knowing you didn't earn the trophy or platinum by yourself?

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info for all to see? Why or why not?

Patrick: I don't think they should. It would take too much time and effort for them to do so.

Lasombra: What tips do you have for someone trying to reach the next level and going after a difficult platinum?

Patrick: Don't worry about your trophy level and just play and platinum games you enjoy. A collection filled with games such as Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Hannah Montana, Terminator Salvation, NCIS, Megamind is not impressive at all imo. If the game is really difficult keep trying and you'll probably achieve the platinum eventually. Look at a youtube video for a guide on how to help you with a certain trophy.

Lasombra: Regardless of the system, what pre-trophy game would you auto-buy if it was released on the PS3 with trophy support?

Patrick: Mass Effect, Oblivion.

Lasombra: You are the Yakuza series master on the site. How excited are you for the HD remake collection of 1 and 2 getting localized in English? Would you go back and play them in HD if there are no trophies?

Patrick: I would play them, because I love the series. Gaming is not all about trophies. I would like to learn more about the story leading up to 3 & 4.

Lasombra: The Dragon of Dojima or Bruce Lee?

Patrick: I’m going to go with Kazuma Kiryu, although it's close.

Lasombra: Looking over your profile you have platinumed almost every game you play. Is it a coincidence that those are games you like or do you pick some games based on the trophy list?

Patrick: I almost always buy my games based on reviews, and if I think I will enjoy my time with it.

Lasombra: In your own words you don't think plats for games like Hannah Montana are very impressive. What makes you crave the harder plats? The challenge? The glory? The women?

Patrick: The challenge. Imo there is nothing impressive about a 3-6 hour easy platinum.

Lasombra: Being in the cashier business has anyone decided to pull a Yakuza and have a gang fight in the middle of your store?

Patrick: No although people have gotten into arguments and the police have gotten involved.

Lasombra: What one character would you want added to the roster of All-Stars Battle Royale?
    Patrick: Kazuma Kiryu, because of his fighting experience, and he is a Playstation exclusive character similar to most other characters in the game.

One inter-galactic mythical creature of city-sized proportions bites the dust! But why did we get this hour glass thingy, V? RPGs never tell us anything, or what to do next. When in Rome do as the Romans. Excuse me, sir, where are we? Uh, I can’t read kanji, can you V? If we didn’t just kill a city-sized creature after popping through a portal, I’d be surprised that I’m reading what he is saying. But I’m not. Nothing surprises me in this business anymore, except for that. I did not need to see that. I just cut my fingernails. V, let me use yours so I can rake my eyes out. Hey, where are you going? Join us next time in Episode 19: The Name’s Bayonetta, just Bayonetta. So your whole plan is to just walk around talking to random people in the hopes that one of them triggers a cut-scene? Makes sense to me. But please, let me use your fingernails.

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:15 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Buy my book, Alteration

Another great interview. I never met Patrick, so getting to know a bit more about him was kinda cool.

Bayonetta?? Sounds like john3007...

Sig by DaRe
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!
    Author of Alteration, now available!

Crocodile Hunter

might be just me but i still dnt know who was interviewed o.O

Sig by Apokolypz

Local Drunk

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    You need a drink mate

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Game on....

Nice interview Lasombra

Beast Incarnate

Another cool interview. Didn't know anything about Patrick so it was cool to find out about someone new. Great job guys.

As for next week, I'm not sure. But as Digitalman said, it could be John.

Plats-O'-War!!

Good interview guys!!!

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Great interview yet again and a great read about one of our fellow gamers. I too have never spoke to Patrick and it was good to get to know a little more and congrats on the GTA IV plat aswell man,well done . Next week, ive no idea. It could be this chap above me

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Saints Row IV

Awesome interview! I love the Yakuza series too.
    Kazuma Kiryu is the best character ever, i want him on Battle Royale too!
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Winter Is Coming

Another great interview, it's nice getting to read about people i've never spoken to. Nice meeting you Patrick
    I have no idea who next week will be seeing as i haven't got one right since the very first interview

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

PRO Member

Another fantastic interview Las! Nice to know a bit more about Patrick and his awesome collection!

I too think next week will be john3007...you a Bayonetta fiend!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Galaxy beauty pirate

I don't know Patrick, but nice interview.

I also think John will be next, because of his Bayonetta avy and sig in the past. Have no clue who else it could be..
    Sig by Ramon

All out of bubblegum.....

great interview as always Lasombra! great reading these and getting to know the familar faces on the site!
    Trade your Games HERE!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter

Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Ze Paradox Ninja Assassin

Another good interview, never met Patrick before, but it's always nice to learn of new people here The next one could be a toss-up, john and kidson both have had Bayonetta sigs in the last while. Though john's lasted a lot longer.

95.37% Completion

Currently Playing

Sonic Unleashed
    Payday 2

Recently Finished

Call of Duty: Classic
    Crysis 3

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I was interviewed. Thanks for the feedback guys, it's nice to meet you all. I've been on the site for a long time since before the crash last year. Surprised no one has ever seen me around before lol... Nice to get some exposure I guess. Thanks for the interview Lasombra

That Southern B****

More Epic work from Lasombra. I also don't know Patrick. What is doing, hiding under a rock? xD
    Hitmon133: "Today's passage is taken from the Book of Coug. Chapter 56, Verse 46. >.>"

Epic Banner by Fawst <3

Toggle Spoiler

Legend...Nuff Said

That is the joy sometimes. You never know who the next person will be, and an unknown gets their time in the spotlight.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My novels can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence and
    Til Death Do Us Part
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!