Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Why does my PS3 causes problems like game freezing and getting hot while I play?

This is a discussion on Why does my PS3 causes problems like game freezing and getting hot while I play? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Cooling systems are fine, as long as they have their own power source...you don't want to draw the power from ...

Negator

Cooling systems are fine, as long as they have their own power source...you don't want to draw the power from the PS3 itself.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    Cooling systems are fine, as long as they have their own power source...you don't want to draw the power from the PS3 itself.
    You will have to educate me on this one mate as im not really clued up on this sort of thing. So, at the risk of sounding silly, why cant/shouldnt it draw power from the Ps3 itself ? Does it put a little more strain on the system itself or something ?

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    Does it put a little more strain on the system itself or something ?
    Basically.

You never want to draw power from the PS3 for external devices, unless it's something simple like charging a controller/headset or perhaps using a USB camera/keyboard.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Starkiller supreme

I had a cooling system on my slim and it worked like shit. The ps3 stayed cooler without it.

Toggle Spoiler

platcard by wadefan1

Sig by the one and only LEE200

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Basically.

You never want to draw power from the PS3 for external devices, unless it's something simple like charging a controller/headset or perhaps using a USB camera/keyboard.
    So i take it that watching movies off of an external hard drive is a big no no then ? Becasue i have done that a fair bit in the past but since ive purchased my new telly, that has a usb port in that so i just put the hard drive into the tv now.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

PRO Member

Basically.

Interesting

Maybe that's what killed mine...i used to use all of the 4 usb ports for things (controllers, headsets, phone)

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Negator

So i take it that watching movies off of an external hard drive is a big no no then ? Becasue i have done that a fair bit in the past.
    I definitely wouldn't power an external HDD with the PS3's USB ports. It's better to find any alternative power source.

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Interesting

Maybe that's what killed mine...i used to use all of the 4 usb ports for things (controllers, headsets, phone)
    Those should have been fine, though I'm not familiar with cellular phone power consumption while charging.

PRO Member

Those should have been fine, though I'm not familiar with cellular phone power consumption while charging.
    Ah, well it was just due to old age I spose! Looking into fixing it soon though.

Good luck Mellerker!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Banned

Now I'm getting less game freeze when playing a PS3 game like Saints row The third was doing a mission but now I have beaten the game.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Learned some helpful tips thanks for making this thread i have the same problems with my system freezing i always blew my vents out with a air can but never thought to use a damn vacuum --__--

~~Krauser~~
    Jack-_-Krauser_

The Deathly Rhythm

its happening to me right now man, is your room hot?? if yes the vent in the back for your PS3 is trying to put out the hot air but its circulating back into your PS3 and its overheating
    Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Jack-_-Krauser__ View Post
    Learned some helpful tips thanks for making this thread i have the same problems with my system freezing i always blew my vents out with a air can but never thought to use a damn vacuum
    I recommend a vacuum made specifically for electronics, since standard vacuums harbor loads of static electricity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos06 View Post
    its happening to me right now man, is your room hot?? if yes the vent in the back for your PS3 is trying to put out the hot air but its circulating back into your PS3 and its overheating
    I was expecting everyone to know to keep the rear vent of the unit in an open area. As long as the rear of the unit isn't directly against a wall or closed away in an entertainment center with poor air circulation, it should be fine. Elevating the console is still key, however.

Banned

I recommend a vacuum made specifically for electronics, since standard vacuums harbor loads of static electricity.

I was expecting everyone to know to keep the rear vent of the unit in an open area. As long as the rear of the unit isn't directly against a wall or closed away in an entertainment center with poor air circulation, it should be fine. Elevating the console is still key, however.
    Is it a good thing I made this topic and I still don't have problem playing my games but not sure my PS3 still get hot when using it.I have my PS3 raise by it sitting on top of my PS2 console which doesn't heat at all.

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by Mellerker View Post
    Is it a good thing I made this topic and I still don't have problem playing my games but not sure my PS3 still get hot when using it.I have my PS3 raise by it sitting on top of my PS2 console which doesn't heat at all.
    If your PS3 is laying flat on top of your PS2, then you're not addressing the heating issue.

The point of elevating the console is so air can flow freely beneath your PS3.

Banned

If your PS3 is laying flat on top of your PS2, then you're not addressing the heating issue.

The point of elevating the console is so air can flow freely beneath your PS3.
    Yes I did have my PS3 on top the PS2.Will it cut down game freeze for all games I play or will I need to clean the lens of my PS3.

Negator

Yes I did have my PS3 on top the PS2.Will it cut down game freeze for all games I play or will I need to clean the lens of my PS3.
    As stated above, laying your PS3 on a flat surface will NOT help it maintain an optimal temperature. Whether it's a table or a PS2, you'll have the same outcome. You need to elevate the console so air can flow freely beneath the unit.

This should cut down on the core temperature, and most likely lead to fewer freezes due to over heating. The lens, however, will probably never need cleaning

Banned

As stated above, laying your PS3 on a flat surface will NOT help it maintain an optimal temperature. Whether it's a table or a PS2, you'll have the same outcome. You need to elevate the console so air can flow freely beneath the unit.

This should cut down on the core temperature, and most likely lead to fewer freezes due to over heating. The lens, however, will probably never need cleaning

Not sure what else I can put under my PS3 to raise it besides my PS2 console.

Negator

Not sure what else I can put under my PS3 to raise it.
    There's been several suggestions from other members already...

Quote Originally Posted by Javro_07 View Post
    Get creative. Anything that is poor heat conductor will work.

I got mine sitting on 20 of those long pink erasers. Stack of 5 under each corner.
    Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I've been using bottlecaps. Gotta raise it up
    Try stacking 3 PS3 game cases on each lip of the console (left and right) while leaving the middle of the console clear for air flow.
    Since i have the old fatty Ps3, i try my best to keep it as cool as possible. I have it elevated (not by much) by sitting it on one of these HERE.

Banned

There's been several suggestions from other members already...
    My game freeze has gone down for a day because I play tales of Graces for 10 hours without a game freeze.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12