What makes you interested in a game

This is a discussion on What makes you interested in a game within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; It could be a game that's been out for years that you've always wanted to try or it could be ...

Bob 'n' Becca

What makes you interested in a game

It could be a game that's been out for years that you've always wanted to try or it could be a new game just over the horizon. It could be te next installments in yer favourite series or a brand new ip. But what makes you interested in the games you decide to play? Obviously if you play a game and you decide to go through with it and beat it (or get platinum?) you liked it but what originally captured yer interest?

I remember at the height of my ps2/GameCube fanatism I was buying games left and right. I would read game informer and look at previews and say wow that looks good. Actual reviews very rarely shaped my opinion. That's still the case today. I remember looking at screenshots for fable and marrowind and wanting to play the games so badly but I lacked the appropriate hardware. Sometimes I would judge a book by its cover and the experience could go either way. There was a cel shaded racing game for GameCube that I bought from circuit city for five bucks. The game looked good but I couldn't get the hang of it. I just sucked at racing games.

A recent example is the isometric Lara croft game. I saw it and just wanted to play it even after never having really liked the series. I know it plays differently from the rest but usually I let a stigma like that carry over to other games. I had never paid the fallout series any mind. I saw the ads for brotherhood of steel in game informer but mostly didn't notice fallout 3. Then there was new Vegas and for some reason I just wanted to play it.

Im beginning to go on and on but what I'm basically asking is exactly what the title says: why do you play the games you play, or more specifically what makes you want to play them?

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Local Drunk

Looks cool (as in gameplay not graphics) and the story sounds interesting, if it's a sequel or new installment of a series I like then I'll play it.
    Last edited by Feral; 08-31-2012 at 08:44 PM.

Awesomely awesome sig by Beam & social group bar by DaRe
    The Local Drunk's Experience With Trophies

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by Feral View Post
    Looks cool and the story sounds interesting, if it's a sequel or new installment of a series I like then I'll play it.
    thats basically my criteria, sometimes when a new game gets announced and its a year away i get kinda obsessed over it and search the internets for any little bit of information about it

Lvl 7 - Gold

The gameplay is usually what interests me in a game, especially the combat/battle system. Back when I had cable, G4 used to have this show called Cinematech. All it was was little snippets of gameplay from random games. Best show they had. If it wasn't for cinematech, I wouldn't have known of games like the Tales of series and Ico and other games I can't think of right now.
    Avy created by Beam and kid420247

Saints Row IV

Gameplay,music and enviroment.Basically,everything
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Rangers F.C

For me the first thing that draws me to a game is got to be the graphics , then the story and gameplay , I know this is wrong but as far as games go I always want to see some kind of improvement or something new , if I don't then I put it down to the game developers being lazy and wanting a quick buck .

PRO Member

Fighting games, I'll give them all a try. I do check out a games on Youtube and if I like the look of it I'll buy/rent it.

Sig by Smashguy

Forget I Was Ever Here

Playing a game in the series if it is a series i will normally buy them all. anything with zombies interests me. also games that people say are hard i enjoy playing to see what people believe is hard. if i says Naughty Dog I'm interested

It is time for me to go underground

Lvl 4 - Silver

If the game is exciting good looking and mostly everything but if it´s a know developer that is really good at making video games then that counts as interest, like Last Of Us when i heard Naughty Dog was making an apocalypse game i just wanted the game right away, because Naughty Dog is one of the best developers out there.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

A good concept has lured me in many times over, if it plays well, graphics are null.

Closing this account

I miss reading Game Informer. Being able to read a great review about games, never was bias tolds any genre and there was no criticism of anything. I think because of that magazine, when I chose a RPG to play and spend money on then there has to be a good story to follow. I will buy the first game to follow the storyline so I will not miss anything. With the exception on FF series, I need to know how it begins. If I don't want to know any spoilers about certain games then I will try to find a small description about it if I can't find the basic plot of the story.
    Then there's Sports games....As long as the graphics and animation aren't buggy or glitchy then I will mostly likely get it if I am in the mode for it. Like in 2010 I bought NBA 2K10 over NBA Live 10 due to the animation was better IMO. The color temperature made it feel like it was better balanced with the flow of the environment.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Characters, story, and gameplay. These criteria basically make up a good game. Games like vanquish doesn't interest me because it's only strength is gameplay. Games like GTA, RDR, LA Noire, Bioshock and batman really interests me.

BRÜTAL Avy & Sig by dsluckay!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Design, graphics and music.

Please, join the Korra club! http://sot.ag/4Lp2/

дурак

I check mostly for gameplay and atmosphere.

I tend to drift towards games that are darker and somewhat gritty (Demon's Souls), but I also enjoy games that are goody and doesn't take itself too seriously (Borderlands)

And no, Graphics are irrelevant.
    Blank Friend Requests will be ignored and/or blocked
    My Checklist | My Trading Thread | My Youtube Channel
    "The oldest and strongest of emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown"

Bob 'n' Becca

I also think that graphics are irrelevant though some games do look breathtaking. Part of the reason why I dont necessarily gravitate towards stellar graphics or shy away from horrendous ones is because my eyes are bad. I wear glasses but most games look the same to me unless the art style is vastly different. But I am thankful for hd!

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!