Hard drive failure :'(

This is a discussion on Hard drive failure :'( within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; That's it, HARD DRIVE FAILURE. Without even backing up my game saves. Guess that I need to buy a new ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Hard drive failure :'(

That's it, HARD DRIVE FAILURE. Without even backing up my game saves. Guess that I need to buy a new hard drive, and repeat all of my currenly working on games. :|

BRÜTAL Avy & Sig by dsluckay!

Lord of all Goat-Men

BL for not having PS+

Look for fixes online?

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    BL for not having PS+

Look for fixes online?
    I don't think there's a fix?

BRÜTAL Avy & Sig by dsluckay!

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    BL for not having PS+

Look for fixes online?
    Sorry, gonna have to totally disagree here. PS+ is a waste and I won't purchase it out of principle. The only thing it is good for is backing up save data and I do manually anyway. Worthless otherwise.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by UKobra View Post
    Sorry, gonna have to totally disagree here. PS+ is a waste and I won't purchase it out of principle. The only thing it is good for is backing up save data and I do manually anyway. Worthless otherwise.
    Except when you can't backup your game saves any other way because they're copy-prohibited. That's a fair whack of games these days.

PS+ is totally worth it for the Cloud Saves alone. Get the YLoD or a HDD failure, lose hundreds of hours worth of game saves and you'd be singing a different tune.

Change is mediocre

I don't know, I wouldn't call saving over $200 on free games (after paying even $20) a waste. That's actually a pretty good deal, and even for non-free games you get deals up the wazoo. With all of this in addition to Cloud saves, it's hard to call it worthless.

Crocodile Hunter

lol at the guy who has never had PS+ before

Sig by Apokolypz

Gorilla see, Gorilla do

Wounded. My HDD went tits up the other month too. So many saves gone and as a result I have about 10 games I can't bring myself to play now as a result

Xbox One GT: I Asari Milk I Steam: AsariMilk

Lvl 9 - Gold

I back up all my important saves to a USB + PS plus cloud now (apparently going to 1gb soon)

Im wondering if sony will be using SSD for the next gen console since they are so cheap now to improve load times and so on.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Lol almost everyone who has had Ps Plus totally loves it, i have saved over 400 pounds because of PS plus so i have money to pay for 10 more years of Ps plus if i wanted.... Yeah your right it´s a waste of money

Angel of Death

I guess free games is a useless feature.

And the same happened to my Xbox... Twice. So I feel your pain.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I have had PS+ and discovered that I never get anything worth playing for free and even after the price cuts Playstation Network is more pricey than stores. Backed up save data is the only thing that really stands out with the deal, but I won't sign up out of principle. Granted, if you do play through all the games they throw at you it may be worth it.

Remember that you're dealing with a business designed to get money out of you any which way they can. If it's too good to be true, it usually is.

Anyway, this is all getting a little

As it happens, my PS3 has also just died. Waiting for the replacement now. Same boat, buddy.

Crocodile Hunter

PS+ has had 12 full ps3 games for the last few months. thats paid for itself 12x over right there

Sig by Apokolypz

Cipher sent us to hell

PS+ is awesome, also I can relate to OP because I feel my HDD is starting to give away. I like to try to fool myself and think Bioware just can't work with PS3s, but both ME2 and ME3 have horrible problems running and I just get the feeling that my system is bottlenecking just playing those games. I have had plenty of data verification checks occur.
    PS3/Vita/PS4: x13ucketHeaDx | X360: x13ucketHeaDx | Steam: x13ucketHeaDx

"Kaz... I'm already a demon."

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by x13ucketHeaDx View Post
    PS+ is awesome, also I can relate to OP because I feel my HDD is starting to give away. I like to try to fool myself and think Bioware just can't work with PS3s, but both ME2 and ME3 have horrible problems running and I just get the feeling that my system is bottlenecking just playing those games. I have had plenty of data verification checks occur.
    Go to the Recovery Menu and run the Database Rebuild option. That should sort out your problem. There's a guide in the Help section on this site.

Cipher sent us to hell

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Go to the Recovery Menu and run the Database Rebuild option. That should sort out your problem. There's a guide in the Help section on this site.
    I've ran it several times, but thanks for the suggestion!

The Site Mascot

Ya my $300+ worth of games, DLC, Avatars, and Themes I have received over the past few months would like to have a word with you.

------------

Bro that sucks about your hard drive man, I have lost saved data before and it was not pleasant.

------------

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post
    I back up all my important saves to a USB + PS plus cloud now (apparently going to 1gb soon)

Im wondering if sony will be using SSD for the next gen console since they are so cheap now to improve load times and so on.
    While a brilliant idea I shudder at how much a PS4 would cost if they used SSD.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

Cipher sent us to hell

Quote Originally Posted by Waystedyou View Post

Wonder if they have the same longetivity as a current HDD? SSD is a fairly foreign concept to me. I get the basic idea, but I would hope it lasts at least as long under that usage.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by x13ucketHeaDx View Post
    Wonder if they have the same longetivity as a current HDD? SSD is a fairly foreign concept to me. I get the basic idea, but I would hope it lasts at least as long under that usage.
    Solid state drives have no moving parts HDD has moving parts so its more likely to break theyre harder to damage by shock they make a lot less noise load times are markedly higher as well a high quality SSD should last quite a lot longer, the only limiting factor of SSD compared to HDD is prices but they're dropping quite dramatically since last year.
    Also with the floods that slowed production of HDD a while back it gave SSD a sales boost since people would rather buy those instead of paying much inflated prices for HDD.

Im pretty sure it would be brand suicide to not use a SSD for next gen consoles now i think about it unless there is any issues they find with it because load times for everythnig would be so highly improved.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2404258,00.asp
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive if you want to read up on them at all.

'
    Quote Originally Posted by ATHF89 View Post
    While a brilliant idea I shudder at how much a PS4 would cost if they used SSD.

As to the cost 250GB Solid state are around $200 it seems in the US 120GB for $90 or so this will probably be reduced quite a bit more before the PS4 gets released.

The supposed specs for the GPU and processor and so on aren't as revolutionary as they were for the PS3 at the time so i dont think there will be as much cost involved when they mass produce the PS4 and they could just put the expenses into the Solid state drives and release the consoles at a similar price to the PS3 on release.

I'm pretty sure Sony and Microsoft would be willing to take a loss at the start of sales to run their consoles on SSDs though.

Just look how much the cost of SSD has dropped since this time last year its basically halved for the data amount, meanwhile they've had increases in data they can handle, pretty sure HDD will become almost non-existent in the next few years.