Wont read ps3 games or BllueRay movies

This is a discussion on Wont read ps3 games or BllueRay movies within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Well this totally sucks. Went to play a game tonight and my PS3 wont even read that there is a ...

Lvl 9 - Gold

Wont read ps3 games or BllueRay movies

Well this totally sucks. Went to play a game tonight and my PS3 wont even read that there is a disk in there. It did when I put in Skyrim and downloaded the update but when it went to reload it after the install its not even showing there is a disc in the drive. It pulls the disc in and sits there for a little bit then makes a noise. Nothing after that. I can play regular DVDs and any of my digital games. Is there a chance that its the lens for reading BlueRays? If it is would that be something that I could fix myself instead of having to send it into Sony to fix for who knows how much. My system is a little over 2 yrs old.

Any help or advice would be very appreciated.

Threat

Since it can detect normal discs I think your suspicion on it being the Blueray lens is correct.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Kiwi Defender

I recall my PS3 suffering from something similar (although it didn't read any kind of CD), and after letting someone have a look at it, I had to buy and have installed a new blu-ray driver because the original one had malfunctioned (turns out it was a very common issue with 1st and 2nd generaiton fat PS3s, from 20 to 80GBs). Might want to take it somewhere so they can check it and tell you what's wrong and if it can be fixed, or if you'll need to have the lens replaced like I had to.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Negator

You've got 3 plausible options.

1 - Buy a new PS3

2 - Send it to Sony for repairs

3 - Purchase a replacement lens and do it yourself (PSXBOY.COM -wholesale and retail welcome)

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay