View Poll Results: Do you play TBS games on PS3?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Absolutely! I love TBS on PS3

25 71.43%
  • I am not playing turn-based strategy games, but I'll make an exception for XCOM

2 5.71%
  • No, I never play turn-based strategy games, I am twitching faster than you!

7 20.00%
  • What are stategee ggames?

1 2.86%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Would you play a turn-based strategy game on PS3

This is a discussion on Would you play a turn-based strategy game on PS3 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Hi guys! Common "knowledge" is that console players have twitchy trigger fingers, but no brains (members of this forum obviously ...

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Would you play a turn-based strategy game on PS3

Hi guys!

Common "knowledge" is that console players have twitchy trigger fingers, but no brains (members of this forum obviously have a bit more to offer, otherwise you wouldn't participate in this thread ;-)).

With Firaxis (the makers of Civilization) leaning far out of the window and bringing the 15-year old franchise XCOM: Enemy Unknown back to colorful life I am wondering: Are console players religiously opposed to turn-based game play, or hasn't there just been not enough games that work on console (I totally agree that RTS games don't work well on console).

Up to this point only a few good TBS games have made their way to our console:

• Valkyria Chronicles (excellent, but no trophies )
    • Civlization Revolution (no trophies )
    • Disgaea 4 (very deep, but also extremely strange - and horrendous trophy requirements)
    • Rainbow Moon
    Are you going to play XCOM? Do you "hate" strategy games? Please discuss.

Lvl 8 - Gold

Bring back the good old Front Mission and I'll play it.

And the "common knowledge" is spewed out by PC players who think too highly of themselves just because they spend a crapload of money on a gaming device and now they feel the need to justify it by constantly putting down everyone else and saying to themselves that it's ok they spent so much money.

Rangers F.C

Never been able to get into these games , think its the worst combat you can get

Game on....

I prefer real time strategy games to be honest.

Banned

I didn't vote because my only choice is loving TBS's... I would say I like them... I played Civ Rev... it kind of sucked but if it was done better I could have really enjoyed it... but then trophies were born... so it got sold... and I love a good game of Risk...

I've never heard of XCOM... but I'll definitely take a look at it...

Lvl 4 - Silver

I remember playing Might & Magic World of Xeen back in the early 90's. I loved that game. Played for hours and hours. But anyways., those days of turn based are long over for me.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Absolutely is my answer. I love all kinds of RPGs and neglecting turn-based strategy is kind of sad. I enjoy having to think and plan my moves, lol. There's also Record of Agarest War to be added on that list~ I count it as good

PRO Member

Not Really my cup of tea...
    ~Aim For The Bushes~

Lvl 9 - Gold

The Worms franchise is a turn-based strategy series, and I've played every Worms game available on PS3, and quite a few not on PS3 as well. Worms may not be in the same category as the games in the OP, but still, it is a turn-based strategy title.

#cutformesa

Consoles need more TBS. We've got such a small selection and within that small group, there are only a handful that are really good. I"ll be grabbing XCOM for sure, although I don't know which console I'll buy it for.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Lvl 3 - Bronze

6 for, 5 against, no other takers so far. Interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I prefer real time strategy games to be honest.
    Personally I really like the ability to think about my moves (I apparently am a "slow gamer"). I have played some on PC, but on PS3 if find it difficult to come up with a control scheme that supports quick decisions on those. I still have to continue EndWar, but I have to admit that's the only one I have on PS3. Do you have any recommendations?

If you want to add turn-based RPGs (like agarest zero) to the mix, by all means try Resonance of Fate. The graphics are a bit outdated, but the combat system is very interesting.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by AstaSyneri View Post
    Common "knowledge" is that console players have twitchy trigger fingers, but no brains (members of this forum obviously have a bit more to offer, otherwise you wouldn't participate in this thread ;-)).
    hah.

also Xcom enemy unknown looks fun. It's great that console players are going to get a intelligence-based game for once that isn't dumbed down (not to mention Sid Meier is involved).

planning to get the pc version soon, once i get around to it.

PRO Member

I love RTS games and TBS games... however if its coming out for both PS3 and PC, im going to get it for PC for a couple different reasons but the main one being easier to micromanage a couple dozen things at once *cough* Victoria 2 and HOI 3. Thats something PS3 or Xbox could never do, i love PS3 to death but even im not stupid enough to know how much this current gen can handle. Even some of the best computers on the market have a hard time handling late-game Victoria 2 because of the hundred different things going on at once.

Look at what happen to Civilization when it came to consoles, sure its fun but did you see how much they had to dumb it down? thats something i hate... when it comes to RTS/TBS or RPG games, I WANT THEM TO BE COMPLICATED and CHALLENGING with 10+ hour learning curve.

Im not bullshitting you, if your able to learn a RTS, TBS, or RPG game within 1-2 hours then thats a bunch of bullshit mainstream crap.
    Platinums: 29 (1st to last)
    COD5, Fallout 3, COD6, Demon Souls, Assassins Creed 2, MAG, Bad Company 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout New Vegas, Medal of Honor, COD7, Socom 4, Resident Evil 5, Assassins Creed Brotherhood, Mass Effect 2, Killzone 3, Bioshock, Dead Rising 2, Uncharted 2, Trine, Resistance 3, Dead Island, Battlefield 3, DC Universe, Skyrim, Trine 2, Mass Effect 3, Assassins Creed Revelations, and Dragon Age 2.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MafiaBrett View Post
    Look at what happen to Civilization when it came to consoles, sure its fun but did you see how much they had to dumb it down? thats something i hate... when it comes to RTS/TBS or RPG games, I WANT THEM TO BE COMPLICATED and CHALLENGING with 10+ hour learning curve.

Im not bullshitting you, if your able to learn a RTS, TBS, or RPG game within 1-2 hours then thats a bunch of bullshit mainstream crap.
    thats what happens when the general stereotype of console gamers are dumb children who only play COD

(no seriously, thats what Publishers think about console gamers, wonder why they are casualizing the shit out of games (Dead space 3, Diablo 3, etc.) while there are cod clones everywhere? Why every Shooter involves a Military guy/squad shooting down russians/terrorists/aliens/Space nazis? The moment when something actually decent comes out people hail it as the game of the century (Dark souls, Elder Scrolls, Rayman Origins, etc.).)

Crocodile Hunter

Ive always hated civilization for some reason but i enjoy most other TBS games lol

Sig by Apokolypz

MK Plat = Overrated

Meh...TBS is just ok for me. I'm really interested in RTS. I've seen my brother play the Warhammer 40k games and they look like a ton of fun. Also, it's funny you bring this up because I was looking at getting a RTS. I saw a review on C&C: Red Alert 3 for PS3 and it seemed pretty neat (I don't have a PC. Only Macbook). Anybody play it? Is it good?

Bob 'n' Becca

Man, rts/tbs always seemed overwhelming. I've never played one or at least I thought I never had until another poster mentioned worms. I've played that briefly for ps3 but stopped once the difficulty turned up.

Thanks to Thunder for the platbar!!!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm a fan of bot FF Tactics and Disgaea 1 and yes I would like more of them on ps3

Toggle Spoiler

Sig and Avy by Wadefan1 *_*

illegal in 9 countries

Absofreakinlutely!

Valkyria Chronicles and Civ Rev and two of my favourite PS3 games and X-Com EO is one of only two games I've pre-ordered all year. Love me some TBS

Quote Originally Posted by Ac3dUd3- View Post
    Ive always hated civilization for some reason but i enjoy most other TBS games lol
    I hear ya fruitcake. I've never really liked Civ on PC, but Civ Rev is the best TBS so far on PS3 (VC is more of an RPG with TBS battle system). It's a shame no Trophy patch came out.

Lvl 4 - Silver

TBS games are a lot of fun, I absolutely love Disgaea 4 and Rainbow Moon is a lot of fun too. I've been meaning to try Resonance of Fate and Valkryia Chronicles as well, but my backlog of games is just huge... Anyway, I'll have to take to a look at this XCOM: Enemy Unknown game, it seems interesting.

When life gives you lemons, make orange juice and leave people wondering how the hell you did it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast