Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Disc or Digital what do you prefer and where do you think the future will take us...

This is a discussion on Disc or Digital what do you prefer and where do you think the future will take us... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Disc definitely. Unlike digital, If what you have crashes or such, You lose everything . Disks can saveyou from such ...

HDD corrupted u.u

Disc definitely. Unlike digital, If what you have crashes or such, You lose everything. Disks can saveyou from such a fate. Besides, I'd rather have the material in my hand than in my console pc etc.
    [floatleft][/floatleft]

AKA bar by Athena| Avatar by Dare_xLw
    |Signature by Luckay

My showcase

by "Neo Gimp" D1Mech and "Smudgetastic" djunglist

Sigs And Beyond (closed)/Deja View (open)
    Sigs/Banners/Avatars/Headers requests

The Girl Gamer

I prefer buying the disc. Yeah downloading games is nice and don't have to worry about scratching your discs, but I like to have the game package on my hands and then put it in my shelf collection.

PRO Member

Downloading is nice, but I much prefer the physical box. Love seeing the games in my cupboard

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by The Secret Society View Post
    disc obviously becuz you can sell it when your tired of it
    True....or you can hoard it

Lvl 7 - Gold

Unfortunately, digital is probably the way of the future. I prefer discs myself, I like looking at a physical collection. I mean look at music. Yeah you can still go to the store and actually buy an album but loads of people download their music. Granted, music is a lot less in price than games are but I can still see this happening to video games down the road.

An old-fashioned cowboy

I prefer disc over digital however if the price is good then i'll pick up the digital version over the disc version (however this is usually not the case).

Lvl 6 - Silver

Disc`s to me are always better since i can trade them in after I finish them. Also Hdd space is at a premium

Irish Rover

disc for me, i trade my games when im finished with them

Ghost Assassin

Definitely good old discs. You can resell them, and use them on other consoles without having an activation limit.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by njdog102 View Post
    Unfortunately, digital is probably the way of the future. I prefer discs myself, I like looking at a physical collection. I mean look at music. Yeah you can still go to the store and actually buy an album but loads of people download their music. Granted, music is a lot less in price than games are but I can still see this happening to video games down the road.
    The difference with digital music is that I still own the files and can do with them what I chose. Most of my music collection is now digital. I also have a pretty substantial ebook collection. I can save the files wherever, burn them to discs, or upload them to a cloud. With games, even though I've paid money for a product, I don't have access to the content. I can't back it up or save it to other media. I have to rely solely on the good faith of Sony, Microsoft, Valve, or whomever that what I purchased will always be available. With the ease in which multiplayer servers can be taken offline, I simply don't trust companies - doing what's right by the consumer will always be trumped by the bottom line.

BTW, where's the paranoid smiley?

Gaming since 1985!

I prefer disks than digital. At least when I'm done with a game I can sell it. And all those games eats up HD space, I only have a 120GB and have about 10GB left.

PRO Member

Either or, one doesn't bother me. Although each time I look at my physical game collection I think "look at all of that money I spent..."

Lvl 2 - Bronze

For me it is discs. For the same reasons as others above have said.
    Also I am more willing to take a punt on a disc game because if I don't like it I can trade it in or sell it on eBay and get some money back. If everything went digital I would buy far less games.

Game on....

I prefer discs over downloads. Downloads can be lost if the PS3 fails but discs are always reliable. Game of the year editions with all the DLC included on the game disc are the way forward.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Doom prefers to have discs that way if Doom ever gets mad, Doom has something to break! LOL jk

Nah but I do prefer discs.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

Huge Skip Bayless fan.

Quote Originally Posted by Deth View Post
    There really is no other smell in the world
    i thought i was the only one

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

Oh for sure, I like having a physical copy of my games thank you very much after all, all the box art makes my shelf look all pretty. I also love that brand new book smell....

Digital download is just convenience at best, so no doubt you'll see more of this in the future in the next generation of gaming, though I'd be royaly pissed if one day they decided to abolish physical forms of video games.
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

Game on....

Quote Originally Posted by Kupo View Post
    Oh for sure, I like having a physical copy of my games thank you very much after all, all the box art makes my shelf look all pretty. I also love that brand new book smell....

Digital download is just convenience at best, so no doubt you'll see more of this in the future in the next generation of gaming, though I'd be royaly pissed if one day they decided to abolish physical forms of video games.
    Its not viable to replace discs with full retail PS3 digital content and won't be for a very long time and the reason being is simple. Who wants to download a 15gb to 30gb full retail game? Its too slow to download even with a fast internet connection and takes up way too much room on HDD's.

☆ Zzz...Zzz... ☆

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Its not viable to replace discs with full retail PS3 digital content and won't be for a very long time and the reason being is simple. Who wants to download a 15gb to 30gb full retail game? Its too slow to download even with a fast internet connection and takes up way too much room on HDD's.
    Pretty much, hell even downloading something thats 1GB big on PSN is like a good 2 hour download for me. m(__)m
    ~★|Avatar and Sig made by the amazing Auburn|★~

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by thedevilsminion View Post
    I have read each post on here and really see that first being 39 is ok as there are members in my age bracket back to the topic I didn't think the feelings would be so strong to having the actual disk, I do like the idea of being able to sell it, being able to lend it, to trade it etc. With digital there are no options, which is kinda sad, to bad you couldnt re sell your finished digital games haha, anyways,

I also love the smell of a freshly opened game, in response to the post about that,

And I also have book shelves with many books I have read and love the fact that I know there there and can be lent to someone and I just like to collect, wether it be games or what have you and a digital library is not something I get the same feeling when I find a game and bring it home. Great responses.
    You're definitely not alone. I'm about to turn 37. You should check out the senior gamers group if it ever gets started back up.

As for the main topic, I am very pro-disc. With a disc based game I can sell it or loan it out if I want. With a downloaded game my options are very limted. I'm not going to give out passwords to anybody so gamesharing is out. Digital downloads don't give me any sense of ownership. It feels more like a lease or long term rental.
    IV Card by: cmgravekeeper

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast