Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Oddworld Inhabitants want Abe in PS:All Stars, but Sony never responded back

This is a discussion on Oddworld Inhabitants want Abe in PS:All Stars, but Sony never responded back within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; PlayStation News: Oddworld Inhabitants wants Abe PlayStation All-Stars inclusion - ComputerAndVideoGames.com Oddworld Inhabitants has expressed strong interest in seeing its ...

INTJ

Oddworld Inhabitants want Abe in PS:All Stars, but Sony never responded back

PlayStation News: Oddworld Inhabitants wants Abe PlayStation All-Stars inclusion - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

Oddworld Inhabitants has expressed strong interest in seeing its character Abe included in SuperBot's PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale... but so far the developer's not returned its calls.

Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee is one of the most iconic titles of early PlayStation and clumsy protagonist Abe would certainly sit well alongside the likes of PaRappa the Rapper in the PS3 and Vita brawler.
    However, Oddworld Inhabitants development director Stewart Gilray explained to CVG that PlayStation All-Stars' developer is yet to get in touch after certain sectors of Sony expressed big interest for Abe's inclusion.

"I was over at Sony America and they were definitely up for it, but the developer hasn't gotten back to us," Gilray told CVG.

"We've been trying to get in touch with them since May and can't work out if they've fixed their character line-up for the release version or if they're simply not interested?!"

If it was the case that Abe's potential inclusion had missed release deadline, said Gilray, then he'd still "absolutely be interested" in securing a DLC spot for the Oddworld hero.

"We'd love to get him in the game. We've already been talking about the moves he could have like possessing Kratos and beating the shit out of everyone... I guess they're busy and we're busy."

nice to know sony cares about characters that made it big and the fans that love the series.

Retired

So what? Tonnes of other people want other characters, and SB ignores them.

And they won't say "They're in the game" or "They're not in the game".

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    nice to know sony cares about characters that made it big and the fans that love them.
    Or they may be saving him for dlc or something. Abe isn't a Sony exclusive character and he doesn't have a new game coming out (which was the requirement for the 3rd party characters being used). It also isn't like Abe is a super popular character that fans are clamoring for. If this was Squareenix trying to get Cloud in and Sony didn't include him then that would be a story.

This just seems like a developer trying to get some exposure for his game and when it didn't happen he went to the press to get exposure that way.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sly Cooper View Post
    So what? Tonnes of other people want other characters, and SB ignores them.

And they won't say "They're in the game" or "They're not in the game".

but when they won't even talk to the devs if they are including them or not thats bad.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    Or they may be saving him for dlc or something. Abe isn't a Sony exclusive character and he doesn't have a new game coming out (which was the requirement for the 3rd party characters being used). It also isn't like Abe is a super popular character that fans are clamoring for. If this was Squareenix trying to get Cloud in and Sony didn't include him then that would be a story.

This just seems like a developer trying to get some exposure for his game and when it didn't happen he went to the press to get exposure that way.

Oddworld series is a pretty medium sized game series (100+ Game awards in the entire series). It has a big following.

Also Abe's Odyssey came on the Ps1 first. i thought sony cared about the niche fans.

Korean Girl Group Groupie

Just to give a little backstory on probably why there is a cold response form Sony.

There were talks of "Abe" becoming the mascot of Sony, and there were rumblings of the third title in the franchise coming boxed up with the PlayStation 2 at it's launch. Sony felt that the franchise was big enough, and that they believed there was a good enough repoire with Oddworld Inhabitants that they were pretty sure an exclusivity deal would be struck in a matter of time.

Meanwhile, Oddworld Inhabitants was also trying to talk up an exclusivity deal with Microsoft at the same time and was playing both sides against one another, to attempt to drive up their buying price. As it turns out - neither side ended up getting a deal because it got out in the open that they were being used against each other. Sony, who had thought that the relationship with OI was stronger than that - really sort of cut ties with the company and never really gave them the support they once had from within.

As the story goes, the franchise never really took off after that, and it's arguable that the worst iterations came after words in the series, without the focus on Abe any further, and nobody really being all that high on the backdoor practices of the company.

So you wonder why Abe isn't likely to make it in a first party Sony game? Check the history between the two companies, and you'll find out why Abe's chance of making it in the game are somewhere near Master Chief and Mario's chances. Sony doesn't really like what OI did to them in the past.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 8 - Gold

PlayStation News: Oddworld Inhabitants wants Abe PlayStation All-Stars inclusion - ComputerAndVideoGames.com

nice to know sony cares about characters that made it big and the fans that love the series.
    Why are you surprised? How many times has sony answered our questions, or even cared about the fans?

Liike a user said above, abe isnt really that well liked, and no new games for him, that i know of. It boils down to "time = money. This character wouldnt generate that much money, so its a waste of time.

I would like to see more characters that havent been around recently, but sony is like the honey badger... They dont care

Resident PHD

Oddworld series is a pretty medium sized game series (100+ Game awards in the entire series). It has a big following.

Also Abe's Odyssey came on the Ps1 first. i thought sony cared about the niche fans.
    Abe isn't 1st party and doesn't have a game coming out. In other words why should he be in the game? I would rather see Wanderer (from SotC) the character from Journey or Lara Croft in the game before Abe.

And if you are going to play the "doesn't care about niche fans" card, why isn't Geno in Smash Bros? Why isn't the Balloon Fight guys or Alexandra (from Eternal Darkness) in the game? What about Fawful? All of those characters I mentioned are better than Wolf, Dr. Mario, Toon Link and Lucario.

Once again this just sounds like OI trying to get some attention because they were once somebody and now they aren't (simple as that).

Lvl 4 - Silver

PS:all stars has one major flaw compared to Super smash bros.
    Nintendo didn't have to ask 3rd parties for characters (Sonic and Snake weren't necessary, nintendo just chose to do this). I'm 99% sure that when Super smash brosU is announced Nintendo isn't going to say Mario isn't in the game because they didn't give themselves permission to use him.
    Sony on the other hand is having to ask 3rd parties for a good number of the characters. Crash bandicoot, spyro, abe and almost every other character people are asking for are all owned by 3rd parties now, so Sony have to ask to use the character and in some cases pay money to get permission to use them. This is something that is majorly holding back PS:all stars since some companies are just stubborn and others are very money hungry. Of course 2 very good characters, Sonic and Snake were taken by Super smash bros (This is why I think we got Raiden instead of Snake).

Either way I plan to buy this game because it does look very good and will end up having one of the most diverse fighting game attack styles just due to the different genres of characters. If you decide to not buy this game simply because a character you like isn't in it then you were probably buying this game for the wrong reason.

Kiwi Defender

Abe isn't 1st party and doesn't have a game coming out. In other words why should he be in the game? I would rather see Wanderer (from SotC) the character from Journey or Lara Croft in the game before Abe.
    Oh god, no, not Wanderer! He'd just stumble throughout the stages and lose his grip on reality!

But the red cloaked guy from Journey would be sweet.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Doomlor0 View Post
    PS:all stars has one major flaw compared to Super smash bros.
    Nintendo didn't have to ask 3rd parties for characters (Sonic and Snake weren't necessary, nintendo just chose to do this)
    Sony on the other hand is having to ask 3rd parties for a good number of the characters. Crash bandicoot, spyro, abe and almost every other character people are asking for are all owned by 3rd parties now, so Sony have to ask to use the character and in some cases pay money to get permission to use them. This is something that is majorly holding back PS:all stars since some companies are just stubborn and others are very money hungry. Of course 2 very good characters, Sonic and Snake were taken by Super smash bros (This is why I think we got Raiden instead of Snake).

Either way I plan to buy this game because it does look very good and will end up having one of the most diverse fighting game attack styles just due to the different genres of characters. If you decide to not buy this game simply because a character you like isn't in it then you were probably buying this game for the wrong reason.
    There is actually only 4 3rd party characters in Allstars and considering that Allstars uses 19 different franchises (while smash bros only used 11) I would say one had a lot more characters to choose from than the other.

Also with the 4 3rd party characters Heihachi was done as a favour (since Cole and Toro appeared in SFxT), Bio Shock Infinite is being favoured on the PS3 (so that explains Big Daddy) and Raiden and Dante represent brands that were primarily Sony (until this generation).

So when you look at it Allstars actually has the much more impressive and varied cast than Smash ever did.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Oh god, no, not Wanderer! He'd just stumble throughout the stages and lose his grip on reality!

But the red cloaked guy from Journey would be sweet.
    True about Wanderer, but hopefully a level from SotC makes it in

INTJ

Abe isn't 1st party and doesn't have a game coming out. In other words why should he be in the game?
    Just Add Water (company) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They have teamed up with Oddworld Inhabitants, to recreated the series in high definition as well as working on new installments in the series.
    On July 16, 2010 Just Add Water announced they would start work on multiple Oddworld projects.[3] On September 3, 2010 Just Add Water announced they would be updating Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath in HD with enhanced 720p visuals, more detailed character models, remastered dialogue, Playstation Move Support and "additional bonus material."[4] A collection containing all four original games called the Oddbox, for Steam service was released on December 20, 2010. Both Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee and Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath made their first debut on Windows PC with updates including Steamworks, which integrated new features including stats and Steam Achievements.

Just Add Water released Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD for the Playstation Network on December 21 in Europe and December 28 in North America. They are currently working on an HD Remake of Oddworld: Munch's Oddysee HD for the Playstation Network targeting Q2 2012 for release.

The next new installments will be a 2D HD re-make of the Abe's Oddysee game, Abe HD is to come out in the summer of 2013 with a public showing in late 2012. They have announced that they will complete Oddworld: Hand of Odd, which is a real time strategy online game which was halted in the early 2000s, and it shall be released as a Free To Play title. Oddworld Inhabitants have also stated that 'Squeek's Oddysee' is in pre-production phases, with Just Add Water as the developer.

aka research before you talk.

They Are remaking the first game of oddworld, already released stranger's wrath, and Munch's Odyssey for PC and sony platforms (Even the Vita).

they are doing alot of shit for sony.

Kiwi Defender

Also with the 4 3rd party characters Heihachi was done as a favour (since Cole and Toro appeared in SFxT), Bio Shock Infinite is being favoured on the PS3 (so that explains Big Daddy) and Raiden and Dante represent brands that were primarily Sony (until this generation).

True about Wanderer, but hopefully a level from SotC makes it in
    Actually, Metal Gear was on the NES (and so was a very crappy unofficial sequel), and Metal Gear Solid was remade as The Twin Snakes for the GameCube, so it really can't be called a Sony exclusive since ever.

Fighting on top of a colossus? Fuck yes.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Resident PHD

Actually, Metal Gear was on the NES (and so was a very crappy unofficial sequel), and Metal Gear Solid was remade as The Twin Snakes for the GameCube, so it really can't be called a Sony exclusive since ever.

Fighting on top of a colossus? Fuck yes.
    Sorry poor choice of words. What I meant was Metal Gear became associated with Playstation (much like Final Fantasy) due to the popularity on PS1. But you are correct since both games came out on Nintendo systems before the idea of the Playstation was even conceived.

Irregardless () I am happy with the list of characters and besides the ones I mentioned (ok maybe replace Wanderer with Kat from Gravity Rush) I wouldn't really change it.

Edit-did you know that Irregardless doesn't come up as incorrect with my spell check (what a world we live in )

Kiwi Defender

Sorry poor choice of words. What I meant was Metal Gear became associated with Playstation (much like Final Fantasy) due to the popularity on PS1. But you are correct since both games came out on Nintendo systems before the idea of the Playstation was even conceived.

Irregardless () I am happy with the list of characters and besides the ones I mentioned (ok maybe replace Wanderer with Kat from Gravity Rush) I wouldn't really change it.

Edit-did you know that Irregardless doesn't come up as incorrect with my spell check (what a world we live in )
    Not sure if it's fake, but there's always a possibility .

Toggle Spoiler

Toggle Spoiler

Resident PHD

Not sure if it's fake, but there's always a possibility .

Toggle Spoiler

that better not be fake. Kat would tear apart the competition with her Gravity moves. Also it would be great to have another girl in the game (there are only 2 so far).

Banned

As long as they add Gay Tony I'm satisfied, I know all his moves and would own everyone's ass when controlling him!

Lvl 6 - Silver

Abe would be a quality character imo, he would be very different to everyone else on the roster due to his mind control and his farts *if this wouldn't be an attack of his then he shouldn't be in the game anyway* and PS360 beat me to the HD remakes by JustAddWater so he would be a relevant character.. but I would still prefer Raziel/Kain. And I still say Sephiroth is a boss.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 7 - Gold

thread's a bit long and my waffles are burning so ill just say this-

The problem with this game is that it doesn't pull famous Playstation characters. It pulls recent popular characters. It is not the entire history up for it. It's really what will sell the game. Thus you get Kratos/Marcus Kane/ that electric dude. Has Abe or Oddworld been relevant lately? Not really, so it has a huge uphill battle to get into it. Is this the kind of game the character should even be in though? Is he really a fighter?

DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    thread's a bit long and my waffles are burning so ill just say this-

The problem with this game is that it doesn't pull famous Playstation characters. It pulls recent popular characters. It is not the entire history up for it. It's really what will sell the game. Thus you get Kratos/Marcus Kane/ that electric dude. Has Abe or Oddworld been relevant lately? Not really, so it has a huge uphill battle to get into it. Is this the kind of game the character should even be in though? Is he really a fighter?
    What more do you want? It has representatives from the ps1, ps2 and ps3. I think they did a great job of bringing in a very rounded approach to PS history. You get your ps1 guys like Sir Daniel, Sweet Tooth, Parappa and Spike. Your PS2 guys like Sly, Jak, Ratchet and Kratos and then your PS3 guys like Nathan Drake, Cole and Sackboy

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    Is he really a fighter?

actually yes.

He has the ability to possess enemies and use them in combat. not to mention the psychic abilities where he explodes shit with his mind and all that. he also has a ability where he can transform into a demigod Shrykull and destroy shit.

also that little small thing where he liberated the entire wildlife and his own people multiple times from being culled and made into food/slaves by a giant corporation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast