Restore PS3 System Question

This is a discussion on Restore PS3 System Question within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I've been having issues with my ps3 reading discs & freeze'n , so i called sony about it and they ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Restore PS3 System Question

I've been having issues with my ps3 reading discs & freeze'n , so i called sony about it and they suggested doing the restore ps3 system option. I asked what i would lose from doing so, she stated game saves, photos, blah blah blah and then said i would lose my trophies as well. I'm 99% sure this isn't possible since their tied to your account not your system, so i said 'you mean the trophies i haven't synced before doing so, right?' She told me 'no, you will lose them all'.. Although im pretty positive you wouldn't lose them, if by any chance it could happen, i'd be the guy it happened too. That's just my luck, so i guess what im asking is for some reassurance this won't happen from someone that's done this and knows for sure it can't happen. Losing over 4k worth of trophies wouldn't go over well with me.

Side Note: What the hell kind of employee doesn't know this ? Don't they read from a screen with answers to all possible questions regarding playstation ?

PRO Member

Uhhh. No. You will not lose any "synced" trophies. If for some reason you have not synced, then yeah you'll lose those.

You could try the PS3 database reset? The ONLY thing you lose is preferences on your system (folders, organization, etc.) as far as I know.

I did it to mine because Bioshock 2 was making mine freeze up. Hasn't frozen since.

Here is the link you want... PS3 database fix Hope this helps!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I did do the Restore File System option, & it stated it was corrupt and restored it. Would the database reset still be an option or would it have done that as well when i did the restore file system ?

PRO Member

That I am unsure of. You could still try it, but I think what you did is a heavier dose of what I was referring to. What did you lose with the file system restore?

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I didn't lose anything with the file system restore .

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    I've experienced that before. I lost nothing at all but time.

BR▄TAL Avy & Sig by dsluckay!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzy View Post
    Your not supposed to lose anything when you Restore File System.

If it didn't help you can try Rebuild Database but you will lose your folders,custume name of movies/music,all PSN messages even copy protected ones,and any unsynced trophies.

It rarely helps but it's worth a shot. It's most likely your blu-ray drive on your Ps3 going bad.

Sig and Avy made by djunglist
    My Trophy Checklist

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Yeah, thats what i assume the problem is. But i'm trying all alternatives hoping for a miracle. Can't imagine life without my playstation.

This PS3 is only two yrs old and already shittin out. Also since this was brand new it would never read a god of war 3 disc. I've tried multiple copies that i know work in other systems and yet it would never read it. Anyone else had this kinda issue ? Just one game no matter the disc it wouldn't read it ?

PRO Member

Mine playstation is 5 years atm, i also have problem with my game freesing movie lagg etc, but i can confirme that deleting the harddrive will not delete your trophies. Recent it bugged my dark souls save and mad it corrupt! and you have to delete the save in order to even start the game if it gets corrupted 120+ hours gone cry. Anyway deleting the hard drive did not have any effect on my ps3. Stil the same thing.

You might want to vakium it if it's dusty. That helped me you can try that and test it. If it dont work then atleast you dont lose your save. Otherwise we just have to hope that the ps4 will be flawless

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Well, from what I gather, you're console switches on and functions fine except that it freezes. Take the time to back up any data you wish to keep by using a flash drive if the game save data is not copy protected or PlayStation Plus if it is and synchronise your trophies. PS3 hardware dies for a variety of reasons and with various symptoms showing you that they are about to (though sometimes they just cancel out with no warning).

Clean the system with a portable vacuum cleaner and then attempt a restore. Even if you format the console now all your data would have been backed up (and no, you will not lose your synchronised trophies).

One word of warning though, if your console is performing hard resets as opposed to freezing it's a clear sign that something is going seriously wrong and make sure that the first thing you do is remove whatever disc is inside (if you get the chance). If the console dies completely and gets the 'Yellow Light Of Death' your disc will be trapped inside.

MGN
    Lvl 1 - Bronze

I got the YLOD on Friday. DmC is stuck in the console. I'm gonna find somewhere to fix. I bought mine on November 17, 2007. I've kept it in good condition and I have a decent cooling system.
    Does a PS3 slim suffer the same deficiency?