Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Is Gamestop really going to close?

This is a discussion on Is Gamestop really going to close? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by skatingsam96 Your kidding right? No, he's telling the truth. I got to play it for a bit ...

Threat

Quote Originally Posted by skatingsam96 View Post
    Your kidding right?
    No, he's telling the truth. I got to play it for a bit cause my cousin's uncle works for Sony. It's soooo awesome!
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 5 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by AlecDawesome View Post
    No, he's telling the truth. I got to play it for a bit cause my cousin's uncle works for Sony. It's soooo awesome!
    I do not believe you guys.

Sig by Bladia

Breakfast and Chill

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    The PS4 is already out and it seems to take discs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

80GB.
    Piece of paper taped to box.
    Seems legit.

The Deathly Rhythm

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    The PS4 is already out and it seems to take discs, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Avy and Sig made by the awesome DaRe_xLw

Feel free to add me: New PSN ID AzureBlaze99

Lvl 5 - Silver

It might be.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 6 - Silver

I wouldn't be surprised if it was download only...

I mean really you don't even need to go to gamestop right now to buy games, and if they had preorder incentives and every brand new game I think a lot of people would switch.. So you can be sure it will be a bigger part of the next gen consoles..

What they are deciding probably is if that would cut too many people off from buying games that would lose them money over keeping the money in house though the console store... I think the mix of dlc and disc is the best... But if anything it can only be more dlc cuz that's what the future is... I guess...

Angel of Death

I'm positive it will not be download only.

Forget I Was Ever Here

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos06 View Post
    As much as I want Gamestop to die, its not true man

I want it to leave also

It is time for me to go underground

Ice Cream Firefighter

as a EB (Gamestop) owner let me put some light on this subject:

Yes, they are considering making the new consoles games: download only because of preowned games

But in NO way are we going to close down.

What will happen is, we will still get the game cases instore but instead of a disc being inside the case it will be the PSN Code, as not everyone has a Credit Card or a Visa Debit Card. So it would be stupid to only make titles available on PSN.

your friend has a shit mustache from speaking too much shit

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Threat

Quote Originally Posted by skatingsam96 View Post
    I do not believe you guys.
    I'm offended.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 6 - Silver

I doubt that they will be download only, but here's some other reasons why GME will stick around:
    since the Wii U will have discs, they would have at least one console to keep them in business with discs.
    The shelflife of PS3, 360, and Wii games have at least another 5 years post-nextgen console release as well.
    Not only that, but the US still lacks really high speed broadband access that other countries have. This would make mass downloads on release days very cumbersome to say the least.
    Plus there are plenty of rubes who still think getting $7 for a game that's one month old, only to have them turn around and sell it for $55 is a good deal. Not to mention how many people think that the case and manual are something to throw away.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

omg. lol. This whole thread is hilarious.... how did that indian kid get the first ps4.. wtf! lol. it is soooo the real ps4. come on guys its been out for like a year now....lol

The Temple of the King

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.

Rangers F.C

I could almost say for sure Sony and Microsoft would both love the next gen to be download only cause its a goldmine for them and the games manufacturer , they would also like to put Bluray download only as well , the machines would be cheaper to make , no disk drive and stuff also no expense in raw materials , game manufacture and delivery of games to stores . It would be a win win situation and for the most part makes total sense to do this , in future your limited edition games would be stored on-line and you would get the rest of the kit in the post . Also the developers would have more cash to invest in games .

BUT.........this would be fucking terrible , instead of games getting cheaper they would become more expensive look at PSN right now to get a glimpse of whats to come 49.99 for Mass Effect , Tiger Woods ....no chance I would ever pay that for something I couldn't hold in my hand , plus the fact games would be a massive download next gen and apart from big cities the broadband speed not up to downloads that big , it would take ages and finally if you buy a game and its pants you stuck with it .

Don't think it will happen next gen with the recession going on in the world , they don't want any more people loosing jobs but it will happen next time round for sure .

PRO Member

Think logically here. Can Sony and Microsoft really afford not to have discs play on their system, used and new. Gamestop is the largest video game distribution service in the world. Do you really figure that Gamestop would sell the PS4 and Xbox720 if they did not play discs or used games? That is where Gamestop makes all of their profit after all. Sony and Microsoft could not afford to take this chance.

Sig by Bladia

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by mattveego View Post
    Think logically here. Can Sony and Microsoft really afford not to have discs play on their system, used and new. Gamestop is the largest video game distribution service in the world. Do you really figure that Gamestop would sell the PS4 and Xbox720 if they did not play discs or used games? That is where Gamestop makes all of their profit after all. Sony and Microsoft could not afford to take this chance.
    They would just cut out the middle man ( Gamestop ) and deliver in post after on-line purchase

Up the Irons!

No, that is not true.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Royal Flush X2

Quote Originally Posted by Kratos06 View Post
    not really, theres other stores, but Gamestop is just the most popular, I rather get games from Amazon then Gamestop

Gamestop screwed me alot in the past, i just never liked them ever since
    Same here I wished Gamestop would go out of business but won't happen. I've also been screwed by them a lot plus there sales people are so pushy. I just buy from either Amazon or Toy's R US. Used to shop at my local Best Buy but was refused service at the game section of the store and complained about it to the manager but the manager did not give a shit so they lost my business.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    BUT.........this would be fucking terrible , instead of games getting cheaper they would become more expensive look at PSN right now to get a glimpse of whats to come 49.99 for Mass Effect , Tiger Woods ....no chance I would ever pay that for something I couldn't hold in my hand , plus the fact games would be a massive download next gen and apart from big cities the broadband speed not up to downloads that big , it would take ages and finally if you buy a game and its pants you stuck with it .
    not only that, but it would suck for us - if there was no retail version, there is also no price reduction down to $20-30 to get rid of stock before the new games come out. A digital version could remain at the initial price point for a lot longer.

INTJ

gamestop will go out of buisness eventually in the next few years thanks to the death of brick and mortar stores.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast