Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lasombra Files Episode 22: Ostentatiously Outrageous

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files Episode 22: Ostentatiously Outrageous within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I think Fafnir is looking really hungry, although the robotic enhancements are not working well as a fashion statement. Uh, ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files Episode 22: Ostentatiously Outrageous

I think Fafnir is looking really hungry, although the robotic enhancements are not working well as a fashion statement. Uh, why is he not attacking? What’s that, V? We’re on a grid? Typical boss battle. Don’t talk to him and he’ll stay there moving in place like he is watching a Richard Simmons exercise tape. The beat is kinda catchy. What’s with the mirror, V? Why do you look like a candy-striper in it, and why am I wearing a gold uniform with a sash? That uniform looks really familiar. That sword through the world kinda looks cool. Find out what else is in the mirror in Episode 22: Ostentatiously Outrageous. Hey, that’s Richard. He got reincarnated. Red suits him I think.

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. Picture copyright of its artist/photographer.

Name:
    Jesus Andrade (FancyJesse)
    Nickname: Jesse
    Occupation: I am a full time student and a part time worker. I work for the Disney Company in the El Capitan Theatre in Hollywood. I have been working there since I’ve been 16. As for school, I am a junior at a State University. I’m into computers, so I will moving towards the fields of computer engineering or programming.

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

Jesse: I first started gaming with a Yellow Gameboy Color. I played Pokémon ever since. (Yes I still play it till this day). But I guess I started actually gaming when I got my PlayStation 1. I still remember my first game, it was Hercules lol. I still remember waking up early in the morning to play it. But I started playing R rated games at a very young age. I was still in elementary when my older brother brought home GTA III. To me, that game was a breakthrough in the gaming universe. Ever since then I loved sandbox games.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

Jesse: Haha, this is kind of a regretful moment. I guess like many of you, I was just so excited to get the PlayStation 3 (which I bought with my own money) that when I ran through the internet setup, I wasn’t creative with the name. I just threw in my nickname and the street name. I didn’t even bother putting capitalization lol. I have made another account named FancyJesse, but I prefer to stay with my jesse45 account since… well, I don’t like juggling accounts. (:

Lasombra: What motivated you to become a trophy hunter? What was your initial spark?

Jesse: This is a really tough question. I guess I never considered myself a trophy hunter but then after taking a second look at my platinum list, it’s really easy to debate that. The initial spark was boredom I suppose. I loved the games I platted and I did not mind playing them again. It was also extremely fun trying to get the difficult trophies but then again, there are those EXTREMELY annoying ones which just made me flat-out-quit.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

Jesse: As mentioned before, it’s pretty difficult to explain what I am. I do enjoy the sound of the trophies being unlocked, so I guess I’m a trophy hunter. Hunting platinum trophies is too difficult for me, but I will do it for the games I really love. This explains my short list of them. (:

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

Jesse: As of lately I haven’t been trophy hunting or playing games in general because of school and work. But on a typical gaming week, I would say I would spend all the time I could if I really wanted it. I have spent whole days trying to level up in certain games just to unlock those dreadful online trophies...

Lasombra: What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

Jesse: For standard trophies, I just play the game for the love and enjoyment of it. But for those annoying trophies that you have to grind through... I just throw on some headphones and listen to music. I would try eating while playing or just trying to multitask. But overall, I tend to stay away from those grinding trophies.

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

Jesse: There have been times where I am mentally incapable of playing a game, not from fatigue but mainly the stress of it. After that I just immediately say my good-byes to whomever I’m playing with and just take a long break to relax myself. My physical and mental state is far more important than a video game. (This rarely happens though)

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum? Why? Was it your hardest?

Jesse: Hmm… looking through my list, I would have to say it would have to be between Red Dead Redemption and Borderlands. Red Dead Redemption because I just loved that game to death. I would still play it if I have more friends on it. And for Borderlands, I platted that game with a friend at the same time. We went through it together from beginning to end, levelling up side by side. What’s better than getting the same reward with the person you worked alongside with? Playing with a friend through also made it that much more fun. We had a lot of laughing moments.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

Jesse: My goal for the year was basically to get a total of 30 platinums on my list. But from the looks of it, I don’t think that is really gonna happen. I have been PC gaming as well. So I jump around a lot.

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

Jesse: Well I guess this depends on what the teams actually do. I understand that some online trophies are a b*tch to get. And I have even boosted alongside with other people to get them. But in a way, I felt kind of bad doing so. I guess because it violates the ToS of the game, but seriously though if the developers throw those online trophies, which do nothing else but roadblock us hunters from the platinum, they should know there will be boosters. So yeah, I believe they should be allowed as long as the trophy requires a lot of grinding.

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info for all to see? Why or why not?

Jesse: Yes. Definitely a yes. Why throw in a trophy system if you cannot see your global rank on it? It would be nice to see how close you were to being the first person to acquire a trophy. This database should also have the capability to filter PSN users from World Wide, Country, and State.

Lasombra: What tips do you have for someone trying to reach the next level and going after a difficult platinum?

Jesse: Just keep motivated. If you really want the platinum and you really enjoy the game, just keep working at it. The feel of accomplishment when it is finally done will be well worth it. Also, it is not shameful to ask for advice (:

Lasombra: Regardless of the system, what pre-trophy game would you auto-buy if it was released on the PS3 with trophy support?

Jesse: KINGDOM HEARTS. Nuff said.

Lasombra: What kind of music do you jam too during a hard grinding session?

Jesse: I’m not really picky with music. I can be listening to some Black Dahlia Murder and then immediately switch to some Tegan and Sara. Sometimes I just have to relax you know. (: So yeah, I’m pretty much switch around. But overall, I like ambient/slower music during those sessions. It keeps me calm.

Lasombra: What snack food has the official FancyJessie seal of approval? Fancy Lad Snack Cakes?

Jesse: There’s such a thing O_O?!?! Imma have to search for that but for snack foods, um, the family doesn’t really keep a bunch of snacks around, mainly because I’m not a snack person. BUT! Today I went out and bought over 10 pounds of Skittles and 42 oz of peanuts, so that should count right? (:
    Also, I rarely snack because I don’t like to dirty my controller but I have had dinner while gaming many times. lol

Lasombra: What games have put you into that illusive 'I hate gaming' burnout mood?

Jesse: MoH online for sure. Also the UFC games since I always seem to get kicked out. I guess I just dislike the whole online system with games that have crappy support and issues with being unbalanced. Yeah it is fun trying to win, but sometimes it just seems impossible. I’m pretty sure there are more games I can add to that list, but I cannot recall any at the moment.

Lasombra: Has working for Disney ever given you the urge to play any Disney games?

Jesse: Actually, yes. I got Toy Story 3 a couple days before the actual release and well, I got to play it for a bit before my little nephew saw me playing. One thing lead to another I gave him the copy. I really want to finish the game. But it amazed me how far he has gotten in it. I’m really happy I gave him the copy when I did, because now he is turning six and he is a pretty good gamer on arcade fighting games. He even knows how to play GTA.

Lasombra: Wanting to work in a computer engineering field, do you want to focus on games or get as far away from gaming so your fun hobby doesn't also become a job?

Jesse: Gaming will never be far apart from my personal life, let alone my work life. With my part-time job now, I have actually unleashed the gamer in everyone there. Once I started working and talking to my fellow co-workers, we started gaming together and we all shared advice to one another. You never know who is a gamer unless you ask. (: But yes, I fear a job near the gaming field will change my taste for gaming so I really don’t know the answer to this question. But if given the opportunity to deal with gaming, I will not let it pass. And that’s a fact.

Lasombra: You said there were some games that you said no to platting because of some annoying trophies. What were the games and the offending trophies?

Jesse: Mostly those EA Sports games. It seems like all of them require you to spend tedious hours online just for a measly bronze. It just isn’t worth it for me. I game for fun, when it stops being fun, I just stop. Sure I feel like I could have done better, but dealing with the stress just isn’t worth it.

Lasombra: Who wins the Battle of Skys? 'Kingdom Hearts' Sora or 'Digimon' Sora?

Jesse: Kingdom Hearts Sora of course but this answer might be a bit biased. I’m not a huge fan, well, not a fan at all when it comes to Digimon. BUT IF YOU SAID POKEMON that’s a whole different story. (:

Huh, I don’t think he saw that beam coming. By the way V, do you happen to have that candy-striper uniform? THUD We really need to talk about our relationship when we get back to our own timeline, and don’t blame me if I can’t give you children later. Sniff Sniff What’s burning? Why are you pointing that wand at me? BLAHHHHHHH! What the hell did you cover me in goop for? It’s not Friday night! Oh, uh, did we trigger the boss battle? I’m expecting another thud soon...Find out next week if I’m permanently sterilized in Episode 23: Breakfast Clubbing. Girlfriend, Fafnir, Girlfriend, Fafnir, I don’t know who to be more afraid of right now. N-Nothing, V. Nothing, I said Fafnir better be afraid of my girlfriend. But why are you a white mage? I figured you would be a Paladin or something with your PMSing today. THUD I think you just popped one. Liquid is flowing down my leg now.

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

A plat a month!

Another week and another great interview

Is it me, or are Lasombra's Intros and Conclusions getting more obscure each week?

Ze Paradox Ninja Assassin

Yet again, a great interview, they keep getting better and better! Good job Las!

I have no idea who next week's interviewee could be

95.37% Completion

Currently Playing

Sonic Unleashed
    Payday 2

Recently Finished

Call of Duty: Classic
    Crysis 3

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by wandarer View Post
    Another week and another great interview

Is it me, or are Lasombra's Intros and Conclusions getting more obscure each week?
    Believe it or not there is actually a storyline, just one that involves a lot of in-jokes and references fans of those particular series will get, that I pay homage to.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.

INTJ

You can only guess where I am...my mother's basement

Fantastic interview guys! Keep up the great work Las!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

All out of bubblegum.....

Good read, keep it up Lasombra!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter
    Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

Aes Dana

You are a credit to PS3trophies Lasombra.

Bravo for another informative interview

Summer holidays :)

Another great interview guys, love reading each episode

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

PRO Member

Another great interview. I am really starting to look forward to these each week. Getting to know my fellow gamers a little beter is always a good thing.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Absolutely fantastic interview yet again, great work Las and congrats to Jesse too, it really was a great read . No matter how hard i try and read the clue's for the next interviewee, i can never hazard a guess but that's what keeps these things great and entertaining aswell as the interview.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Beast Incarnate

Another great interview man

No idea about next week

Vacation - 26th September

Excellent interview. Keep it up!

I think gr1mydawg might be next week!

Avatar & GDT bar made by djunglist / Signature made by dsluckay / PPS bar made by RaveNScythE18

Grandmasterpiece

Another awesome interview

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Kid, not loser

Great interview Las. Also Happy Belated Birthday Jesse

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 9 - Gold

These interviews are amazing. It's always interesting to know what questions may pop up and what the interviewee has to say.
    I remember getting interviewed in a similar style once for a gaming radio show (in Spanish of course) and it was really really fun. Would love to do it again, it kinda makes you feel closer to the community!

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

The One and Only

Another Californian friend who doesn't live far from me!

Nice interview Lasombra and FJ.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Noob Member

Nice interview. Nice to know more about that guy who loves "pew pew lazers" lol

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

Didn't realize this was up. lol

It was a real privilege to be interviewed.
    Thanks again Lasombra

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    Great interview Las. Also Happy Belated Birthday Jesse
    Thank you very much
    It's just a flesh wound.

Legend...Nuff Said

Quote Originally Posted by DaRe_xLw View Post
    Another Californian friend who doesn't live far from me!

Nice interview Lasombra and FJ.
    You, Jesse, and Eric need to get the band together.

@Jesse: I'm sneaky like that, not telling people when they will be posted...9/10 times.

L

Plats-O'-War!!

Great interview people!! Looking forward to the "homage" you'll be paying

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast