Ex-Sony PR: Sony is sending out titles to die

This is a discussion on Ex-Sony PR: Sony is sending out titles to die within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ex-Sony PR: Sony's sending titles out to die -Destructoid Recently laid-off Sony PR man Will Powers has taken to Twitter ...

INTJ

Ex-Sony PR: Sony is sending out titles to die

Ex-Sony PR: Sony's sending titles out to die -Destructoid

Recently laid-off Sony PR man Will Powers has taken to Twitter to share some views on his former bosses, questioning the company's recent business decisions and suggesting that its big titles are being thrown to the wolves. It's pretty stern stuff!

"You have to wonder what the hell PlayStation was thinking laying off more than half of their software PR team going into the holiday season," he said. "In typical fashion they're sending titles out to die, because they have no PR support -- LBPK, Sports Champions 2, Wonderbook.

"Worst part is, the PR department was already under-staffed. I feel sorry for those that remain there, because their workload just doubled. PR is non-revenue generating, but has a very low operating cost in relative terms to their results. Laying off to cut costs makes no sense."

According to Powers, Sony's actually incurring more costs by firing its internal PR team and then giving the work to outsourced contractors.

"Already, they outsourced entirely too much work to overpriced agencies, so laying off is only going to exacerbate an existing problem. The point of having external agencies is so that you can scale back without layoffs, not layoff so you can ramp-up. Internal PR teams have product loyalty and only serve one master. Neither can be said about agencies, although there are some select people."

Having laid out the PR problems in the cold light of day, Powers then moved onto its handling of products, most notably the PlayStation Vita.

"That being said, you have to question the priorities of the company as a whole -- What [is] the point of AdHoc multiplayer when no one has a Vita?" he continued. "Sony in general is serving too many masters. Each company should operate autonomously. PlayStation shouldn't suffer b/c TVs are overpriced.

"This is all being said, because I genuinely like and care about the PS product, but they're being hamstrung from success internally."

It's a pretty harsh assessment of Sony's position heading into the holiday season, but it seems like level-headed criticism when you separate it from the fact that a recently laid-off worker said it. Then again, I've long given up trying to understand Sony's business decisions and motivations myself. It just moves in mysterious ways.

Resident PHD

I don't know how things work in the states so I will only speak for Canada. I have ALWAYS begged Head Office to send out items in a timely manner. We would sometimes get promotional material a couple of days before release (and sometimes after release). It was awful trying to promote product because no one knew stuff was coming out.

Interactives have not been updated since last November (that is right no vita, star hawk, playstation allstars, littlebig karting, wonderbook etc. trailers) and they probably won't get updated until October/November. That means a year of the same trailers/games over and over (now Nintendo and Xbox aren't any better at this, but we aren't talking about them right now).

The main problem, from what I understand, is that everything we want to do has to get approved by the States (and all their lawyers) and sometimes Japan. Then after the approvals are finally met, and budgets are figured out etc. etc. etc. it has to get translated into French and can finally get distributed.

Sorry for the little rant but it is a major problem because all these great titles come out with little fanfare and Head Office wonders why sales aren't there. Ubisoft has been promoting Assassin's Creed since March and the preorders reflect that. We started pushing Uncharted 3 in October (and it came out in November)

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

I agree it's idiotic that the gaming side suffers because of poor judgement in other departments.
    Maybe a few too many pies and not enough fingers have caused this shitstorm, personally i feel it's more likely bad gambling tactics in a now limited market.

I'm amazed in a way Playstation is still strong after the flurry of errors and misfortune in the last few years. just the right balance of great games and decent ideas to go against the flow of bad showings perhaps?
    Sort of relevant as well,you really begin to feel for the Blog guys at Playstation Europe when they get screamed at in type by over priveliged snotrags every week because Spyro isn't on the store or some ancient obscure RPG isn't there either, more recently with the CS GO debacle where no one is a winner because people moan it's not there every week and there is no response back other than ' we have no new news '.
    They clearly don't have the manpower to provide the answers or solutions and it's making the target on Sony's back just that bit bigger.

Worse still, Microsoft will no doubt sell bucket loads of their next lot of gimmicky tat ( Holodeck style gaming? Come on, it won't even be close ) and whoever gets out of the blocks first this time will determine how few players are in the race the next time round.

Babble over!

Fight the Future

Here is what I gathered from the quote.

"Waaah! Sony fired me so I'm going to talk shit!"

Personally, I never trust information from ex-employees. There is generally a reason why they are an "ex" and most of the time they don't go willingly.

Lvl 9 - Gold

lol I read the title and without clicking on it I knew this would be one of your threads ps360

Lvl 5 - Silver

I honestly have to say the titles he said their sending out to die, should die.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    Here is what I gathered from the quote.

"Waaah! Sony fired me so I'm going to talk shit!"

Personally, I never trust information from ex-employees. There is generally a reason why they are an "ex" and most of the time they don't go willingly.
    the main reason most sony games fail in sales is because of terrible marketing.

LittleBigPlanet was marketed to hell and back, and look how far that took it. It's still pumping out DLC to this day.

Resistance 3 is a fine example of how to not market your game.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I'm not going to say I fully believe his claims considering he is an ex employee and has no reason to say anything good...

But he speaks truth about the marketing of Uncharted. And we all see the marketing that is performed first hand, as we are subjected to it.

And I definitely don't feel like I am being marketed to very well a lot of the time.

Although let's face it...nothing will help Sports Champions 2.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ItsEasyToCrash View Post
    I'm not going to say I fully believe his claims considering he is an ex employee and has no reason to say anything good...

But he speaks truth about the marketing of Uncharted. And we all see the marketing that is performed first hand, as we are subjected to it.

And I definitely don't feel like I am being marketed to very well a lot of the time.

Although let's face it...nothing will help Sports Champions 2.

didn't know there was a sports champions 2 till this article

shows how well the PR is doing.

Lvl 8 - Gold

An ex employee ranting about a company that fired him. What a surprise...

PRO Member

The guy aint lying i mean other then the Borderlands 2 and Resident evil 6 commercials i have seen over the last month which were xbox ads at the end anyway i have not seen many video game commecials in sometime companys dont find that they need to spend money to advertise they figure leyt the gamer find out when its comming out its aklways been that way for majority of games itll never change big deal

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac718 View Post
    The guy aint lying i mean other then the Borderlands 2 and Resident evil 6 commercials i have seen over the last month which were xbox ads at the end anyway i have not seen many video game commecials in sometime companys dont find that they need to spend money to advertise they figure leyt the gamer find out when its comming out its aklways been that way for majority of games itll never change big deal
    Dude google grammar
    My FAV plats:Bioshock, Fallout, Crysis, Dead Space, Dead Island, RE, Prince of Persia and all the different versions of those games.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Hyro View Post
    I honestly have to say the titles he said their sending out to die, should die.
    i felt the same way with the games they quoted.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    the main reason most sony games fail in sales is because of terrible marketing.

LittleBigPlanet was marketed to hell and back, and look how far that took it. It's still pumping out DLC to this day.
    I can't remember ever seeing one single commercial for LBP.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by nullzero00 View Post
    I can't remember ever seeing one single commercial for LBP.
    yea it was mostly restricted to cartoon/tech channels and stuff, saw it while watching flapjack and other things.

as i said, Sony pr is dumb.

Check Those Corners

Quote Originally Posted by Tmac718 View Post
    So you are telling me, you have not seen a Playstation commercial recently? Damn, I do not know what your watching than.

Rangers F.C

In my opinion you don't need massive advertising in the game industry , I think this because if its a game franchise like Uncharted , Assassins Creed you been following it for a long time on something like IGN and if its a brand new game you have never heard of e.g Dishonored there is normally a lot of buzz on-line about the game like teaser trailers , gameplay video's and stuff like that , it would not hurt for more advertising but IMO its not the way it works for games industry, we the gamers create the marketing from talking about it and posting videos and text about the stuff we are excited about .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge