Sony won't release a new console every few years

This is a discussion on Sony won't release a new console every few years within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Sony's President Says They Won't Be Releasing A New Console Every Few Years Remember back in the day, console gaming ...

INTJ

Sony won't release a new console every few years

Sony's President Says They Won't Be Releasing A New Console Every Few Years

Remember back in the day, console gaming evolved on a periodic basis of about every half-decade? Well, Sony Computer Entertainment's president Andrew House is putting an end to that kind of business methodology. According to House, releasing a new console every five to six years is done and over with.

In an interview with Inside Games [via Gimmie Gimmie Games] House talks about the ever-changing landscape of video games, and more-so relates to the fact that the way public traded companies work it just wouldn't be feasible to launch a new console every so many years in the same way that the gaming industry has been doing since the 1980s, saying...
    “Game consoles connecting to online networks is now the norm. The value of a console increases by connecting to an online network. Former business models that rely on switching to new generations of hardware on a several year basis have ended because of this.

We expect our online sales for this year to be 1.5 times greater than last. Particularly, the number of users that have been paying via methods other than a credit card have been increasing. Even the common user now realizes the attraction of downloading games to play.”

In other words, online connectivity, cloud gaming and leasing games to gamers is a much more profitable venture than being in the business for the creative endeavors.
    With Sony's recent acquisition of Gaikai, a cloud streaming service, it kind of lends itself to the belief that the upcoming PlayStation 4 will also double down as the PlayStation 5, enabling Sony to stream high-end gaming content via the cloud as opposed to requiring gamers to upgrade to a new console.

So far, the industry is running wild with rumors that Sony will at least announce the PlayStation 4 at E3 in 2013 for a potential 2014 release. That would still be a pretty lousy business move on Sony's part given that Nintendo would have two whole years to eat up market share and if Microsoft planned to release in 2013 that would give MS a chance at eating up the rest of the market share.

Regardless of what happens, 2013 will be a very interesting year and the next wave of consoles from MS and Sony will be very telling as both companies seem to want to get away from releasing new hardware every half decade.

I told you they are moving to the cloud and online-only but no one listens to me.

Check Those Corners

*facepalm. That does not mean they are moving to cloud and online only.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    *facepalm. That does not mean they are moving to cloud and online only.
    They said cloud gaming is going to be a profitable venture for them.

The only way to accomplish that is online-only since thats what cloud tech requires to work. That means you only have to buy that console and never have to buy one again because all the graphics/cpu processing is moved to server farms and not your console.

it's exactly what i said. They are doing it because they think this will save them.

illegal in 9 countries

You didn't tell us shit.

The proper response is yes, cloud-gaming is on the horizon, but it's a decade away from being commercially viable.

I told you that in the same thread.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    You didn't tell us shit.

The proper response is yes, cloud-gaming is on the horizon, but it's a decade away from being commercially viable.
    google fiber/other high speed fiber internet companies is going to jumpstart it in 2-4 years.

google embarrased isp's with 120$/month internet at 1GBPS and 1080p TV for up to 8 screens. This is going to speed up the internet speed/price competitions in america to the point where everyone will have high speed.

America, Europe, and Japan are sonys main territories, they don't give a shit about anyone else. Japan already has the super high speed internet, America is catching on, and europe is starting to get the idea too.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    google fiber/other high speed fiber internet companies is going to jumpstart it in 2-4 years.

google embarrased isp's with 120$/month internet at 1GBPS and 1080p TV for up to 8 screens. This is going to speed up the internet speed/price competitions in america to the point where everyone will have high speed.
    Fuck that shit if it's only for the US. Unless you mean the actual continent, in which case, w00t, Google!

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Im so tired of these shitty Rumours and acquistions,By the way you had me worried there for a sec but Download only would be like Sony you ain't gettin ma money! i would instead start gaming on a pc much more instead of having a console that is download only

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Fuck that shit if it's only for the US. Unless you mean the actual continent, in which case, w00t, Google!
    US only so far.

Once google gets the rest of america connected, they will expand. Probably Canada first then south america.

Rangers F.C

I would honestly like to see a next gen machine before 2014 so if Xbox release there machine first and its got quality specs and graphics I will get one and I am sure plenty other PS fans will do the same but the problem is if a been playing it for 8/12 months before the PS4 even launches then I might not even bother getting the PS4 if the only difference is PS exclusives like this gen , lets face it the machines are going to be very expensive and when you look back the Xbox has got a better deal on this gen than we have , more games and DLC before we do , you use to say at least we do not have to pay for on-line but we do now with PS+ and on-line passes , think it would be a big mistake if sony shipped it too late
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Rangers F.C

Just checked the release date of PS3 cause I had forgotten , it was Nov 2006 and they are saying they wont release one every few years its been six and they not planning on releasing till 2014 some time , 8 years is far FAR too long . I bet there are PC's out right now which will have higher specs than it when its finally released .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

INTJ

they claim the PS3 has a 10 year plan but they are stopping support in 2015 so it makes no sense.

Resident PHD

they claim the PS3 has a 10 year plan but they are stopping support in 2015 so it makes no sense.
    Stop making games and a 10 year life span are two different things. Sony stopped making games for the PS2 (except for ports of psp games and MLB) a couple of years ago but the system finally died this year.

3rd party companies will still make games (even if it is just sports games and ports) and even without new games people will still buy the system because they don't want to spend money on a PS4 yet or x360/wii fans will pick one up because it is cheap and they wanted to play those 2 or 3 titles on it.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Check Those Corners

They said cloud gaming is going to be a profitable venture for them.

The only way to accomplish that is online-only since thats what cloud tech requires to work. That means you only have to buy that console and never have to buy one again because all the graphics/cpu processing is moved to server farms and not your console.

it's exactly what i said. They are doing it because they think this will save them.
    LOL. I am pretty sure the next sony console will do 10x better than Wii U, so no need to be 'saved'

PRO Member

Why do so many people take pride in others accomplishments? Screw you humanity.

Kiwi Defender

LOL. I am pretty sure the next sony console will do 10x better than Wii U, so no need to be 'saved'
    At this rate, I highly doubt it'll do that well. Maybe two times better, but it'll probably get stepped on by the next Xbox.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

INTJ

NES – notenoughshaders.com – The Ten Year Decline of Sony

read it, absorb the knowledge.

not to mention vita sales are absolute terrible shit.

DON'T BLINK

NES – notenoughshaders.com – The Ten Year Decline of Sony

yes because we all know vita sales = ps4 sales

please that is like saying wii u will be lame because the 3ds sales were shite too

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by Koimia View Post
    yes because we all know vita sales = ps4 sales

please that is like saying wii u will be lame because the 3ds sales were shite too
    He's actually posting about how Sony as a brand is struggling financially, so the Vita sales are a very important factor in said discussion. When you're releasing such a hardware that'll supposedly sell well and own the competition, just for it to barely sell and be ignored by the gaming community in general, you can't help but bring it up lol.

Toggle Spoiler

The Temple of the King

America, Europe, and Japan are sonys main territories, they don't give a shit about anyone else. Japan already has the super high speed internet, America is catching on, and europe is starting to get the idea too.
    Almost everyone has super high speed internet in Japan because they have the same land mass as California. Same story goes for Korea. It's far easier for them to do it, both financially and spatially- while also maintaining high, even speeds everywhere in their countries- than it is going to be for the U.S. and Europe. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if Europe's high speed access would be more even than here in N.A.

As far as everyone in the U.S. having high speed internet access, I am not as optimistic as you are. Seriously, I know people who- as of yet- haven't upgraded to- or gone beyond- DSL level mainly due to either economic restraints or because no company wants to bother putting in the infrastructure in their neighborhood for high speed internet services.

NES notenoughshaders.com The Ten Year Decline of Sony

As far as Sony being in trouble, I thought this was common knowledge. I don't know why you are flaunting this as if you are trying to say "Ha! Sony's been ass for the last decade will continue sucking no matter what!"

While I don't envy the CEO of Sony, I still don't understand why your blatant fanboyism tendencies won't let you see the good in Sony's products while trying to convince all of us that Nintendo can do no wrong.... ON A WEBSITE DEDICATED TO GAMING ON A SONY PRODUCT. I know this point is going to be moot point to you as you're just going to say "Not until Sony shows me something that I like!"

And Vita? I never cared for handheld gaming so I don't really care what they do with it.

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty

Please. Save your fanboyism for another day.

Anyway, as for my on topic reply, I would say that releasing a new console every few years at this point is taking unnecessary risks. It was probably more viable 20-30 years ago when you could probably double the processing and computing power every year or so and developers could more easily max out the capabilities of each machine. As far as going online only, it would be rather unwise to do it now. As I said many moons ago, it will be better off doing a mixture as we are doing now until it becomes easier for people to obtain high speed internet in N.A. and in Europe.

Thou who seeketh the King's sword!
    I am the Old King.
    Show me thine strength and the strength of thine souls.
    Prepare thyself, brave knight.