Extra requirements for platinum?

This is a discussion on Extra requirements for platinum? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I don't suppose this will ever happen because most games nowadays are cross-platform, but what would you think if there ...

PRO Member

Extra requirements for platinum?

I don't suppose this will ever happen because most games nowadays are cross-platform, but what would you think if there were extra requirements for platinum besides simply collecting all the other trophies? One condition I thought of was to have a (realistic) time limit to collect all the trophies. For example, collect all FFXIII trophies in under 100 hours of game time (since the game is theoretically a race against time, after all...). Platinums might be a little more rare, but you'd also perhaps get a little more value out of the game. Thoughts? Any other suggestions on different conditions to add to platinum, and what games they might make more fun?
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Forget I Was Ever Here

Um some games already do the trophies by time? such as god of war i know does you have to beat it under 8 hours ICO you have to beat it under 2 and 4 hours? Why would you think that would bring more value to the game? I only ask because if some not so good gamer comes along and see's a trophy where they have to beat it in certain time and they suck at it they might not play it

It is time for me to go underground

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Quote Originally Posted by mjglover View Post
    I don't suppose this will ever happen because most games nowadays are cross-platform, but what would you think if there were extra requirements for platinum besides simply collecting all the other trophies? One condition I thought of was to have a (realistic) time limit to collect all the trophies. For example, collect all FFXIII trophies in under 100 hours of game time (since the game is theoretically a race against time, after all...). Platinums might be a little more rare, but you'd also perhaps get a little more value out of the game. Thoughts? Any other suggestions on different conditions to add to platinum, and what games they might make more fun?
    for me personally, i think things should stay the way as they are as there are already some pretty damn tough plats out there and a wide enough variety for everyone. Using your example of FF13, if i was going for the plat and went over the 100 hour time limit by 5 minutes for example, then i'm guessing i'd miss the plat and after so much time invested in a game, i'd be mighty pissed plus, i'd feel like i was in a rush to plat whichever game would have a time limit and i wouldn't enjoy it even more then but of course i am only speaking based on your example of FF13.

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    Um some games already do the trophies by time? such as god of war i know does you have to beat it under 8 hours ICO you have to beat it under 2 and 4 hours? Why would you think that would bring more value to the game? I only ask because if some not so good gamer comes along and see's a trophy where they have to beat it in certain time and they suck at it they might not play it
    And like Yoo Hoo says, in some cases this could be a massive deterent for your average gamer, dependent on the extra requirements of course.

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

PRO Member

I generally agree with the guys above me wherein I'm not a fan of speedruns (usually) plus I get more out of it by putting more time into it if that makes any sense

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I generally agree with the guys above me wherein I'm not a fan of speedruns (usually) plus I get more out of it by putting more time into it if that makes any sense
    I don't mind speed runs, depending on the game of course but once again using the FF13 example:

Race Against Time

Complete FF13 in under 100 hours

You over do it by 100:05:00....i would be ready to

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

PRO Member

I'm only saying what already been said. If there was extra requirements like you said for platting FF13 in under 100 hours or extra requirements for platinum i would be put off. If I ever get back to FF13 I would probably be one of the ones who put in 120 to 130 hours.

I don't generally like racing the clock because I mess up more and wouldn't enjoy it if I had to do a speed run on my 1st play through. If there are time based trophies I'd like to do them after I have played the game and know the game a little better.

I say keep things the way they are.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    I don't mind speed runs, depending on the game of course but once again using the FF13 example:

Race Against Time

Complete FF13 in under 100 hours

You over do it by 100:05:00....i would be ready to
    Yeah....that would suck hardcore.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 6 - Silver

Speedruns are the worst type of trophy requirement for me :L

It takes the fun out of it for me and it is harder for me to pay attention to what I am doing, unless of course it is my favourite game I am speedrunning and beating a record.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Took me 101 hours to get my FF13 Platinum. Screw redoing that.

PRO Member

Yeah, I think it took me 104 the first time, and maybe 80 the second. It was just an example. Sounds like everyone is in agreement though that the platinum should continue to be the culmination of all the other trophies rather than one to try for directly.

I guess it just bothers me a little bit that you always finish a game by getting two or more trophies simultaneously, and I was looking for a way to split it up so each trophy was worth something independently. I couldn't think of any examples besides the speed run one but I'm sure there could be a viable way to do this...
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Quote Originally Posted by mjglover View Post
    Yeah, I think it took me 104 the first time, and maybe 80 the second. It was just an example. Sounds like everyone is in agreement though that the platinum should continue to be the culmination of all the other trophies rather than one to try for directly.

I guess it just bothers me a little bit that you always finish a game by getting two or more trophies simultaneously, and I was looking for a way to split it up so each trophy was worth something independently. I couldn't think of any examples besides the speed run one but I'm sure there could be a viable way to do this...
    I understand your notion and if i'm being honest with you, i couldn't really think of a prime example myself lol, but yours was a good talking point i think, even though some of us would prefer things the way they are.

Lvl 5 - Silver

The only way i think people would be in favor of this is if you could get the plat from the get go without having to collect all the other trophies.

Which in itself would kind of defeat the purpose

Resident PHD

I would rather developers just make the something you get after doing EVERYTHING in a game.

I hate it when there are trophies for things like "kill 5 people by falling on their heads from a balloon" (ok I just made that up) but then it doesn't force you to get all the collectables, or beat the secret boss or do all the challenges.

Why make up trophy requirements and then ignore the actual in game achievements.

OH and the "stay still for x minutes" needs to go.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Kid, not loser

So you want there to be requirements in games that won't even reward you when you accomplish them unless you already have all the trophies besides platinum? Also, how would you tell it's something you have to do? Would it be in the trophy list section after every trophy? In the end will it say, "Also, do this aggravating task after you have earned all other trophies, which is really how you unlock the plat."
    Why not just add an extra trophy for it instead?

I think what you really want is for them to raise the trophy point limit in each game. If they do that they could add a lot more. I don't see that happening anytime soon though.

EDIT: Also, the devs technically could do this in any game. Just an in game requirement system like "challenges", and have a trophy say, "finish all challenges". They already do this as well though.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.