Lasombra Files Episode 23: Breakfast Clubbing

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files Episode 23: Breakfast Clubbing within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So, need any help there? No...I didn’t think so. Ow, ewww, that definitely hurt. Hey man, you know the saying: ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files Episode 23: Breakfast Clubbing

So, need any help there? No...I didn’t think so. Ow, ewww, that definitely hurt. Hey man, you know the saying: Hell hath no fury like a...a...scone, yeah, thats right. Have to be careful of those scones. Eat a bread truck lately, Fafnir? Those ninja bakers are a real killer. Right, good job V. I didn’t know a kilometre tall dragon could be suplexed like that...remind me not to piss you off more than usual. Huh, thats weird, the mirror is changing images. Find out what images are seen in Episode 23: Breakfast Clubbing. You know, I miss the Soviet-Nazi uniform. It was much more intimidating. I don’t think Fafnir would have messed up your hair if you were still strutting that style.
    Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. Picture copyright of its artist/photographer.

Name:
    Weston (KidLoser)
    Occupation: Full Time student getting into Marketing/Advertiseing

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

Kid: I used to watch my brother and sister play Mario bros, and played with them every once in awhile. I really got into gaming though when I used to watch my brother play FF7. The thing was he went through the game twice, and never finished it. So I watched him play the game for hours without ever seeing the conclusion. This pissed me off. So one day I decided to pick up the game, and play it all the way to the end just to finish it and see the ending. Ever since then, I have been an addict of all sorts of games. Either they be shooters, RPG's, action adventure, or any other, I love all types.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

Kid: My brother and I are basically the best of friends. We are such great friends that we would call each other names that many others would think are offensive, and not think a thing of it. At one point we stuck with him calling me Kid and me calling him Loser. It has been that way for over 7 years now, and we don't know each other by any other name really. About 4 years ago we got a PS3 when we still lived together. I thought we could only make 1 account, so I named it after our names. I sometimes wish I thought about that more, cause now I am deemed being called a loser, even though I am actually Kid. I am happy I kept it though; as the name really means a lot to me with the amazing relationship I have with my brother.

Lasombra: What motivated you to become a trophy hunter? What was your initial spark?

Kid: I used to look at other peoples profiles and see that they had many of these things I soon discovered were called trophies. I looked it up and learned about them, and how to get the infamous platinum trophy. At first I thought Platinums was one of the most difficult things to do in gaming, and I had much respect for people who just had 1. So I tried, and tried over again to get one, giving up on many games just to have one. When I finally got one I was as thrilled and excited as I could ever be. The amount of frustration I had going for it was worth it. After that 1 platinum, my trophy hunting career began.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

Kid: I would say Platinum Hunter, as I usually don't play a game just to get some trophies knowing I will not get a platinum unless I really enjoy it. I would also say just all around games I enjoy platinum hunting. I will try to achieve a platinum in a games I do not like, but that is only because the sense of accomplishment when going for the platinum is greater.

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

Kid: I used to dedicate around 6 hours a day, in 2011. Now I have gone down to about 3 hours a day, but I will sometimes play for about 6 hours (rarely though) on weekends and when I have more free time. That is a mix of me playing my Vita and my PS3. I now just play games for the fun of trophy hunting and take my time with it, but I will only still play a game if I need trophies in it.

Lasombra: What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

Kid: Knowing in the end it will be worth my time when I see that Platinum. I will only grind for trophies I see worthy of my time and as respectable plats. I will also play with friends to make it even more fun and worth my time. I sometimes take a break from a game when I start to feel bored with it and instead I play another game. I do this so I don't have to hate having to play 1 game for hours on end. I did this when I was going for the Homefront platinum and ended up hating the game. So now I know I need to take breaks from a game and come back to it later once I feel like it is time to platinum.

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

Kid: Currently I am going through a burnout of platinum hunting. I still play a game to completion getting all trophies in the needed playthrough, but then I don't really want to play it anymore so I move on, having the platinum on hold. As I stated above with why I take breaks, I will just go through most games and not be full blown plat hunting at the same time. I will just enjoy completing the game going for some of the trophies along the way, and hold the plat off for later. I really do plan to come back to these games to plat them, so don't think I am just saying I will as an excuse. I just need to have a little break from the hard work I have done from Platinum hunting in the past, and enjoy the games I have.

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum? Why? Was it your hardest?

Kid: This is between Dead Space 2 and Homefront. Dead Space 2's hardcore mode was beyond difficult, and I got the platinum without a guide (Some video guides I had to use off of youtube). Homefront because it just took so long to complete the challenges online. I got both and am proud of them both.
    I might say Homefront is though, as it took longer and caused more frustration and pain of just playing the game than any other platinum I have gone for. It was perhaps the fact that I hated playing it that made it more difficult for me. I enjoyed the game at first, but really hated it in the end. I still am proud to have this respectable platinum though, and respect all others that have it as well.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

Kid: In 2011, I had 3 plats at the beginning of the year. Once I got better at plat hunting through that year, my goal kept getting higher and higher. Starting at 10, then 20, then 30 till I got to 64 platinums. This year I thought it would be the same thing but I set my goal to be 100 thinking all I have to do is get 34 over the course of the year. The sad thing is though, I have gone through a burn out stage, and just want to do minimal trophy hunting for now. I do still plan to get as many as I can, hoping to get as close to 100 as possible. I will be happy though to be around 80 by the years end.

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

Kid: Yes I do. This should really be up to the developer though. If they are going to add lets say challenges to a game that make you get say, "4 kills at the same time", then yes, that is a MUST to allow boosting teams. As for things like, "just get up to this rank", that one I am iffy about, as it can be unfair to other people who really work hard on ranking up on their own.

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info for all to see? Why or why not?

Kid: Yes. If you are a trophy hunter what is the meaning of it if you're not showing off your accomplishments and knowing where you stand through all your hard work? I am someone that doesn't really like to show off (yes I am humble), but ALL OF US trophy hunters deserve some credit and fame for what we do (When I say show off, I don't mean it chauvinistically, but more in a prideful way). I used to think people with 1 platinum are some of the best gamers on the planet, so all should be welcomed to it and proud of what they have.

Sony should make it though so if you want to upload your profile to the leaderboards as a choice. You should only be allowed to see the leaderboards if you upload your profile as well. Why should you see everyone else's if they can't see yours?

Lasombra: What tips do you have for someone trying to reach the next level and going after a difficult platinum?

Kid: We all started out with nothing. Know that Trophy Hunting is a joy and passion for you to do, and quitting will get you nowhere, with no joy. If you keep at, you will end up on top. Know that there are people who will help you in anyway somewhere on this site or another. We all know what it is like to be constantly failing at a trophy, but it is only tough and is constantly beating you because you allow it to. Keep trying and knowing, that this trophy or platinum will garner you with more respect amongst us fellow gamers, and is an accomplishment to be truly proud of, regardless of the game you are playing...except Hannah Montana. You should never be proud of that one.

Lasombra: Regardless of the system, what pre-trophy game would you auto-buy if it was released on the PS3 with trophy support?

Kid: I would want to have probably FF7 to have added trophy support. Either just be trophies added to the PSOne classic version or an HD or remake version, whatever version of it. Also, I would like to play the old KOTOR games again with trophy support. That would be so awesome if they were ported over.

Lasombra: Does your brother have a new PSN account? Do you two still game together often?

Kid: Yes he does, and we try to play together as often as we can. Recently he wanted me to buy Borderlands 2 so we can play together since we also played the first one together. I've also wanted him to buy a PSVita so that we could play a few games on that together, especially games that are coming out like Soul Sacrifice because we also played Demon's/Dark Souls together as well.

Lasombra: Hating Home Front so much, what are your thoughts of a Home Front 2? Would you get it, or does the hatred for 1 run so deep you won't even sniff the wrapper?

Kid: I do want to get it, at least to give it a try. The hate for the first game mostly came because I didn't really expect it being so aggravating for me I guess, so I will expect this one to be. Also, all my hard work going for the plat in the first one I feel obligated to get the second as well and at least try for it. I'm sure it will become part of my collection of backlogged games.

Lasombra: Do you think your title of platinum hunter is changing to trophy hunter with your recent bout of burnout? Do you think you could handle being only a trophy hunter and never getting a platinum ever again?

Kid: I do feel as though I am becoming more of a trophy hunter instead of a plat hunter. I know I have many games that just need a little bit more work to get platinum(like CS:GO) and I know I will come back to them, just don't know when exactly. I do love this hobby and I just hope I never give up on it. I also hope I don't become a Trophy whore by just going for all the easy stuff and moving on.

Lasombra: You speak of pride for the trophy collection you have and others have. What are your thoughts of trophy teams like Duck360 and Hakoom, or hackers being on the leaderboards if a world database was made by Sony.

Kid: Well, I feel as though it will be impossible to stop these people from doing what they do now, so I still don't see what the harm of just putting up a leaderboard would do. I mean people cheat in all sorts of games that have leaderboards (COD,Battlefield) and people still appreciate those games for having them. It would be nice if Sony did investigate though on people's accounts and it showed a list of cheaters in another category to defame them for doing it. I would enjoy seeing that more in hopes people would learn that nothing is gained by cheating that way.

Lasombra: How do you like getting trophies on the Vita?

Kid: I love it so much. I bought a PSP just before I became a trophy hunter and it started to get boring for me playing it without earning anything extra by doing all the extra stuff in the games. I stopped playing it because of it. Then when I heard the PSVita has trophies I fell instantly in love with it. It was perfect when it was announced, and would have been far from being perfect without trophy support.

Lasombra: What is your opinion of Nintendo staying out of the trophy market at the moment?

Kid: I see it being a HUGE missed opportunity. They seriously need to get in the game like Sony did. In my honest opinion I see Trophies as being much better than the Achievements on Steam and 360, just due to the Platinum and level system Sony made. I just hope Nintendo does something to add on to achievements.

Lasombra: How do you think trophies/achievements will evolve in the future?

Kid: Well, as I said I think Sony really did a great job in adding something for getting 100%. My hopes are is that Nintendo will add something, then either Sony or Microsoft will add on to that and they will continuously combat with each other’s ideas to improve upon them all. For me though, I really hope for more of a reward system to be added on. Like for getting 5 platinums you get 20% off something in the PSstore or a special avatar or theme for unlocking the game's platinum. Just something to get us Trophy Hunters and Non-Trophy Hunters to want to earn a Platinum even more.

Lasombra: As an inspiring marketing and advertising student how do you rate the way Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo advertise their products. Who do you think has the edge based solely on advertising and marketing?

Kid: Well, I see Microsoft just a bit more ahead of the game in the amount of advertising done. I think Sony was ahead there when Kevin Butler first came in, but dropped behind shortly after Microsoft started advertising for the Kinect. The thing I see Sony does more with their money than Microsoft does is add more variety to their system. Sony seems to make much more games and get much more content than Microsoft as they usually seem to focus more on advertising. I feel as though Sony wants their products to be spread more by word of mouth, and Microsoft wants to stick more to commercial advertising. Nintendo I do feel was doing great as well, but definitely catered their marketing to the casual consumer which actually probably helped them more than anything. It seems as though Microsoft has done the same for the Kinect as well, which is also why I love Sony, because they have always seemed to cater to all crowds in their products and advertisement, as if everyone was important to them, not just the ones that sold well.

This hourglass is about to fill up fully soon. Any idea what we are supposed to do with the mirror, the hourglass, and the currently rotting corpse of a Fafnir? Wait...wait V, I know I’ve been teasing you lately, but you know I love you? Don’t you? Put down the sword, we’ll talk this through...no.no.no.no.no.no...CRACK. You...huff...need...puff...to warn me...huff puff...about these crazy plans of yours! Great, so is this where we face the final boss, see the credits roll, and then live happily ever after in Episode 24: Dead or Alive, You’re Coming with Me. You’re right V, I don’t understand any of this either. You broke the hourglass and poof, nothing happened. Seriously, what kind of crack do the Japanese smoke when they think up the stories for these games? At least it’s not the game where we are actually sperm inside the main character’s girlfriend’s womb, or something like that. THUD HEY! It’s actually true. I’m not that burnt to think of it up myself.

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:17 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

I'm the Oogie Boogie Man

Great interview Las . Always cool to learn about Kid.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel!

Crocodile Hunter

I didnt know you were doing an interview man

As always great work las!

Sig by Apokolypz

A plat a month!

Fantastic interview!

Mr. 70 Plats

From one Kid to another Kid (see what I did there? ), fantastic interview

30STM 23/11/13

Another great interview, i like your idea of unlocking an avatar for getting a games platinum kid. That'd be a nice little bonus

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

Random Access Memories

That was an awesome interview you guys! I have noticed a few people see the trophy hunting teams as different things and I like that because it wasn't exactly what I was thinking.

FF7 I think it's awesome that you kept that PSN as it means something important to you.

I'm not entirely sure who next week will be

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Galaxy beauty pirate

Great interview! I really like the idea of getting some sort of bonus or discount from Sony, when earning plats.
    Also funny to know the story behind your name kid (not loser). Makes me wonder if your brother's PSN name is LoserKid..

Lvl 9 - Gold

Ah! Love this one as well! I can relate so much to Kid about he and his bro being great friends! If I could only get my brother into trophy hunting...

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

All out of bubblegum.....

Awesome interview for an awesome member in KidLoser. Nice to know more about you bro!
    Scogg34's House of Splatter
    Avy/Sig by the Awesome Stupot

.. Solar Fields ..

Very informative as per usual. Great job Lasombra

Legend...Nuff Said

9 days away from the 25th anniversary special. Get ready to strap yourselves in, it's going to be a crazy show.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Saints Row IV

Quote Originally Posted by Lasombra View Post
    9 days away from the 25th anniversary special. Get ready to strap yourselves in, it's going to be a crazy show.
    Great interview!!! Who is gonna be on the 25th anniversary special
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website