Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

PlayStation Network Account Sharing Question (Please help)

This is a discussion on PlayStation Network Account Sharing Question (Please help) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by dr_mayus But Intellectual Property is still property. So by obtaining that game for yourself (even though it ...

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    But Intellectual Property is still property. So by obtaining that game for yourself (even though it is digital) is still taking someone's property. Thus it is stealing.

Also why do you think they call it Piracy? It is because Pirates were known for stealing stuff that didn't belong to them.
    Yes, it's property, but since it's digital you can't take it and you can only copy it (again, illegally). It can't be stealing by definition, unless you are telling me that a "pirate" goes around the internet taking bits of data for himself and making them unavailable for everyone else, in which case, you've drank too much Saturn Coffee.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Quote Originally Posted by The_Atmultima View Post
    Ok thanks for the clarification =D

And sorry if i'm being a pain in the a**, but will my PSN account be affected in any way because of this? Will it change how I operate with my PS3 regarding my PSN account? I just wanna make sure xD
    You shouldn't notice a difference on your end.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    You shouldn't notice a difference on your end.
    Ok thanks

Thank you so much for your help guys

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Yes, it's property, but since it's digital you can't take it and you can only copy it (again, illegally). It can't be stealing by definition, unless you are telling me that a "pirate" goes around the internet taking bits of data for himself and making them unavailable for everyone else, in which case, you've drank too much Saturn Coffee.
    So by your definition, it's ok for Hyundai to copy the Audi A4, badge and all and resell it as their product? They haven't actually stolen anything but intellectual property. Apple and Samsung would be delighted to use your interpretation of the law in their patent disputes.

Of course it's "taking" a copy. The copy of that property isn't being paid for, hence it's stealing. It meets the definition of theft.

Check Those Corners

Again, i'm sorry if this is actually illegal but if it is why would Sony allow account sharing? Isn't it pretty obvious that alot of people would take advantage of this? Why wouldn't they just not let us do this?
    I'm not saying this to defend myself, if i'm doing something illegal i'm the one to blame here and I ask you to please tell me if it is and i'll stop immediately.

But I won't admit you calling me that...

Actually, the whole point of letting accounts onto other systems is to let people recover their account if they lose there ps3 hard drive or there ps3 breaks. Not for cheap fucks like you to steal from a company offering great deals on great content.

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    So by your definition, it's ok for Hyundai to copy the Audi A4, badge and all and resell it? They haven't actually stolen anything but intellectual property. Apple and Samsung would be delighted to use your interpretation of the law in their patent disputes.

Of course it's taking a copy. The copy of that property isn't being paid for, hence it's stealing. It meets the definition of theft.
    No. As my first post on this thread said, it's morally wrong and more often than not, illegal. One thing is copying something for personal use (a game/movie/album), another is copying it to resell it and earn a profit (like they do downtown or like that example of yours involving the car). That's 100% illegal (unless the original has no patents, in which case the creator is a moron).

The definition of theft involves taking something away from another person, effectively making that same person lose that something. When pirating/copying, you're not taking anything away, for the original owner keeps whatever it is you copied/pirated. Piracy doesn't meet the definition of theft, it only means you're reproducing, using or copying without authorization something else.

Taking =/= using/reproducing/copying.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Again, i'm sorry if this is actually illegal but if it is why would Sony allow account sharing? Isn't it pretty obvious that alot of people would take advantage of this? Why wouldn't they just not let us do this?
    I'm not saying this to defend myself, if i'm doing something illegal i'm the one to blame here and I ask you to please tell me if it is and i'll stop immediately.

Actually, the whole point of letting accounts onto other systems is to let people recover their account if they lose there ps3 hard drive or there ps3 breaks. Not for cheap fucks like you to steal from a company offering great deals on great content.
    It's mainly there for people with 2 ps3s, letting the owner share the games between the two of them.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post

Yeah one post clarified me of the real purpose of it...

How am I stealing if I bought the game you fucking idiot?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Schismalicious View Post
    I gameshare boohoo.. who gives a fuck. I buy games, and my friend buys them. We share them, big deal? I think not.
    I don't see GS a big problem... if 2 people can trust each other, then sure go for it. If one buys a game on disc and gives it to his friend for a week or two is that stealing?

Sig by Smashguy

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    The definition of theft involves taking something away from another person, effectively making that same person lose that something.
    By not paying for the software copy, you are taking the money for that transaction from the software developer and keeping it for yourself. It's a financial loss if not the loss of a physical object.

Are you seriously suggesting that an estimated $63 billion loss to the software industry isn't a "real" loss? No-one actually lost anything, but billions of dollars of revenue.

Are you also seriously suggesting that taking a product's image and reproducing / copying it, either for your own gain or for distribution for free, is not considered theft?

I guess you've never heard of Intellectual property - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, World Intellectual Property Organization - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia, United Nations - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia or the Digital Millennium Copyright Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia. Good luck arguing your position in a court of law

Just because a digital product can be duplicated exactly from the original beyond the control of author does not mean there's no cost associated with the act of piracy.

Trophy Guide Kitten

hmm i see lots of nonsense in this thread....and a lot of name calling. We all know that is not allowed on my forums. Shame on you all. Thread is closed now.

K? Thanks
    K? Thanks

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12