Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PlayStation Network Account Sharing Question (Please help)

This is a discussion on PlayStation Network Account Sharing Question (Please help) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I'm aware that the downloadable limit has been reduced from 5 systems to 2. Let me clarify this after asking ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

PlayStation Network Account Sharing Question (Please help)

I'm aware that the downloadable limit has been reduced from 5 systems to 2. Let me clarify this after asking my question...

So I have a PSN account that both me and my brother share on the same system. My brother, before this November 18th limit was established, started sharing some of our games with a friend of his in the States (we live in Portugal). Given that Sony allowed account sharing to an extent, they thought it wouldn't be illegal to do it so they did it.

Today I bought Sonic Adventure 2, and i'm trying to share it with a friend of mine here in my country and it doesn't work. We haven't shared Sonic Adventure 2 with anyone yet, and when my friend tries to download it an error prompts on the PS Store saying that the content is limited to another account already and stuff.

So my question is: Is my brothers friend the only one from now on that can download stuff from my account?

Because I thought this was limited by download, and not by whole accounts. If I share, for example, Jet Set Radio with my brothers friend (which I did) can't I still share some stuff to my friend that my brothers friend didn't download? Maybe I missed some instruction or i'm not aware of certain details, but I thought it was limited per downloads...

Thank you for your help.

Resident PHD

From what I understand your account can only be active on 2 systems. So your PS3 and your brother's friend's PS3 would be 2.

So the only thing you could do is have your brother's friend deactivate the account from his ps3 (which would lose him all the games) and then activate it on your ps3.

But if you want my opinion, how about you guys stop stealing games and pay for them all yourselves (because that is what game sharing is)

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Check Those Corners

How about you buy a game you stealing fuck.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    From what I understand your account can only be active on 2 systems. So your PS3 and your brother's friend's PS3 would be 2.

So the only thing you could do is have your brother's friend deactivate the account from his ps3 (which would lose him all the games) and then activate it on your ps3.

But if you want my opinion, how about you guys stop stealing games and pay for them all yourselves (because that is what game sharing is)
    Thank you for your post.

If what i'm trying to do with my friend is illegal please tell me and i'll stop right now. It's just that i've seen people doing it all the time, and my brother does it too and never got into trouble. I even said it in my OP, that my brother and his friend found out it isn't so they went for it.

Sorry but I didn't understand that part. Deactivating PSN account? Lose all games? You mean all games my brother shared with him, or ALL games he has? Is there any website where I can read about how this works exactly, because I can't find one...
    Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Again, i'm sorry if this is actually illegal but if it is why would Sony allow account sharing? Isn't it pretty obvious that alot of people would take advantage of this? Why wouldn't they just not let us do this?
    I'm not saying this to defend myself, if i'm doing something illegal i'm the one to blame here and I ask you to please tell me if it is and i'll stop immediately.

But I won't admit you calling me that...

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by The_Atmultima View Post
    Thank you for your post.

If what i'm trying to do with my friend is illegal please tell me and i'll stop right now. It's just that i've seen people doing it all the time, and my brother does it too and never got into trouble. I even said it in my OP, that my brother and his friend found out it isn't so they went for it.

Sorry but I didn't understand that part. Deactivating PSN account? Lose all games? You mean all games my brother shared with him, or ALL games he has? Is there any website where I can read about how this works exactly, because I can't find one...
    Game sharing isn't technically illegal but instead of giving money to Sony you are keeping for yourself (it is more a thing of ethics than anything else). This is why Sony limited the amount of ps3 that could be active.

Now how game sharing works is me and you are using the same account on our PS3. That gives me access to your PSN account which means I can download all the games you have downloaded (I can also go in and change all your information, steal your money and do whatever I want). For you and your friend to now start sharing, you have to ask your brother to take your account off of his friend's ps3 (which would get rid of all the games on his ps3 that were taken from your account) and then place it on your friend's ps3.

That is how game sharing works.

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Basically this, you need to deactivate one account so your friend can play it.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks alot for the video Pancake, I will consult it for help =D
    Game sharing isn't technically illegal but instead of giving money to Sony you are keeping for yourself (it is more a thing of ethics than anything else). This is why Sony limited the amount of ps3 that could be active.

Now how game sharing works is me and you are using the same account on our PS3. That gives me access to your PSN account which means I can download all the games you have downloaded (I can also go in and change all your information, steal your money and do whatever I want). For you and your friend to now start sharing, you have to ask your brother to take your account off of his friend's ps3 (which would get rid of all the games on his ps3 that were taken from your account) and then place it on your friend's ps3.

That is how game sharing works.
    Ok I understand your point there...

And I am the one that has to deactivate his PS3 from my account, using that website shown in the video in the section "To deactivate for game content on a system you don't have access to"? Or does he have to log on to the PS3 with MY PSN account and then deactivate game content on account management/system activation? Or is it the same? Man, i'm really getting confused xD

Thank you so much for the info

Lvl 5 - Silver

I also game shared once and I plan on getting a vita, will the person have to deactivate his system, will it not let me have the acount I use on my ps3 also be on my vita when I get one? I thought you could have an account on up to 5 systems originaly, did they change that?

Sig by Bladia

★ Extra Astronomical ★

And I am the one that has to deactivate his PS3 from my account, using that website shown in the video in the section "To deactivate for game content on a system you don't have access to"? Or does he have to log on to the PS3 with MY PSN account and then deactivate game content on account management/system activation? Or is it the same? Man, i'm really getting confused xD

Thank you so much for the info
    I guess it depends on whether your brother's friend is willing to deactivate his ps3. If he is, he can log on with his ps3 and do it himself and it will be much easier.

An old-fashioned cowboy

You're pretty much gonna have to deactivate one of the 2 accounts in order for your friend to be able to play the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CallmeNasty View Post
    Hey pot how about you stop calling the kettle black.

Kiwi Defender

You must deactivate the account on the PS3 of the US dude so your friend can download the game.

It's not stealing, even if it's morally wrong. Otherwise, borrowing a game would be stealing aswell. For it to be stealing, he'd need to take the copy away from someone else, and doing this isn't leaving someone without his copy of the game. That's why "piracy" is known as "piracy" and not as "robbery".

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrRoger View Post
    Hey pot how about you stop calling the kettle black.
    He called him a "stealing fuck", not an "ignorant moron".

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I guess it depends on whether your brother's friend is willing to deactivate his ps3. If he is, he can log on with his ps3 and do it himself and it will be much easier.
    Hmm so all I need to do is:

Step 1: Ask my brother's friend to turn on PS3,
    ask him to log on with my PSN account,
    go to account management/system activation,
    choose game, and then deactivate (all games I shared with him through my PSN account will be unplayable to him, and my account won't be affected right?).

Step 2:...

Step 3: Profit?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    It's not stealing, even if it's morally wrong. Otherwise, borrowing a game would be stealing aswell. For it to be stealing, he'd need to take the copy away from someone else, and doing this isn't leaving someone without his copy of the game. That's why "piracy" is known as "piracy" and not as "robbery".
    Pirate takes 1 copy from Developer.
    He/she pays $0 instead of $20.
    Pirate 1. Developer 0.

The copy isn't stolen from the other pirate, it's stolen from the developer. Instead of earning $20 for the transaction, the developer earns nothing.

Death is Awaiting....

I gameshare boohoo.. who gives a fuck. I buy games, and my friend buys them. We share them, big deal? I think not.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Hmm so all I need to do is:

Step 1: Ask my brother's friend to turn on PS3,
    ask him to log on with my PSN account,
    go to account management/system activation,
    choose game, and then deactivate (all games I shared with him through my PSN account will be unplayable to him, and my account won't be affected right?).

Step 2:...

Step 3: Profit?
    Yep, that's about it.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yep, that's about it.
    Ok thanks for the clarification =D

And sorry if i'm being a pain in the a**, but will my PSN account be affected in any way because of this? Will it change how I operate with my PS3 regarding my PSN account? I just wanna make sure xD

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Pirate takes 1 copy from Developer.
    He/she pays $0 instead of $20.
    Pirate 1. Developer 0.

The copy isn't stolen from the other pirate, it's stolen from the developer. Instead of earning $20 for the transaction, the developer earns nothing.
    "Definition of steal
    1 [with object] take (another person’s property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it:"

You're not taking away a developer's property, you're copying it (ilegally, of course). Again, that's why the word "piracy" is used and you don't steal digital copies of a game.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

An old-fashioned cowboy

He called him a "stealing fuck", not an "ignorant moron".
    lol. I was referring to a post CMN made in last week's US Store update so I still stand by my statement.

Resident PHD

"Definition of steal
    1 [with object] take (another person’s property) without permission or legal right and without intending to return it:"
    But Intellectual Property is still property. So by obtaining that game for yourself (even though it is digital) is still taking someone's property. Thus it is stealing.

Also why do you think they call it Piracy? It is because Pirates were known for stealing stuff that didn't belong to them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast