HDMI Cable Overheating?

This is a discussion on HDMI Cable Overheating? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I just got done playing Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City like 15 minutes ago. While I quit the game and ...

The Girl Gamer

HDMI Cable Overheating?

I just got done playing Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City like 15 minutes ago. While I quit the game and it went to the XMB menu, my TV screen was going crazy. It would keep flashing back and forth to a black screen, picture, black screen, picture, and then it would stay in black screen for awhile longer and goes back to the picture to start over the flashing again. I turned off the PS3 while keeping my TV on and turned it back on and it started to do the flashing again. I turned off the PS3 again and the TV. I waited for a few minutes and turned both back on to still having the same issue. I turned off both again and check the HDMI cable connected to the TV end to make sure it wasn't loose and then I unplugged from the PS3 end. I noticed the HDMI cable connected to the PS3 was very hot. I plugged it back again and tried it one more time to see if it works and it worked normally.

Is the HDMI cable overheating and going bad? Or is it the HDMI port on the PS3 going bad? This is the 1st time it has done this. My PS3 Slim is going to be 3 years old in November. I doubt my PS3 is overheating cause it would have shut down and it hasn't. Anyone had this issue before?

illegal in 9 countries

I've had a HDMI port blow on a PS3...similar symptoms.

The PS3 didn't overheat or shut down, the port simply crapped out and dropped the signal to the TV within a few minutes of boot-up.

The easiest thing you can try is a different HDMI cable and see if things improve. That way, at least you'll know if it's the port or not.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

The Girl Gamer

I got it to work again, but if it does do it again I'll go and buy a new HDMI cable to see if I get the same issue. If I do, then I know the HDMI port is starting to blow out then. Thanks for your input!

Ghost Assassin

It's most likely an internal component like the port, the cable shouldn't be a problem unless it's a really cheap one. Still, it doesn't hurt to try another cable.

The Girl Gamer

I think the cable may be a cheap one since it came with my Xbox 360 bundle when I got it as a gift and it was a store made bundle, so the HDMI cable isn't microsoft brand. The cable is only about 1 years old next month since that's when I got an HDTV. It won't hurt to buy a new cable to see. Hopefully it's the cable and not the port.

Lvl 6 - Silver

It's probably a bad cord, mine used to do that flashing thing sometimes (not overheating though) but I would just move it around and it'd work..

If it's really overheating I'd say get a new cord but I don't think it's bad to just wedge it right so it doesn't flash...

Aes Dana

Is your HDMI cable magnetically shielded? Electronic devices put out electromagnetic fields, and these fields can sometimes affect other devices. For instance, the magnet in your speakers can distort the image on your television screen. I highly doubt this is the cause but thought i would throw it out there.

I remember buying my HDMI cable years ago when HDMI was at the very early stages and it cost me a fortune considering it is just a cable (40). However i still have and use that HDMI cable now. It is a QED and a very thick tough cable, gold plated HDMI cable.

The Girl Gamer

Yes my HDMI cable is shielded. Here's my HDMI cable specs: Tripp Lite 10-ft. High Speed v1.3 HDMI Gold Digital Video Cable (HDMI M/M) (P568-010)

The Girl Gamer

I just quit Gran Turismo 5 and yet again the flashing started to black & back to picture again. I left the tv and PS3 on and unplugged the HDMI cable from the PS3 and plugged it back in to see if it works, but the flashing kept going. I then unplugged the HDMI cable from the tv and plugged it back in and that fixed it. I'm thinking the HDMI cable is starting to go bad or the HDMI port from the tv is going bad.

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by MimiPRGameFreak View Post
    I just quit Gran Turismo 5 and yet again the flashing started to black & back to picture again. I left the tv and PS3 on and unplugged the HDMI cable from the PS3 and plugged it back in to see if it works, but the flashing kept going. I then unplugged the HDMI cable from the tv and plugged it back in and that fixed it. I'm thinking the HDMI cable is starting to go bad or the HDMI port from the tv is going bad.
    This happen too me before, maybe 3 or 4 times. It could be it is to warm behind your TV. My issues only happens when my room is above 30 c so I try to avoid playing in the afternoons in the Summer.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by MimiPRGameFreak View Post
    If changing your HDMI cable doesn't fix the problem, it could be as simple as the HDMI port in your T.V being loose

"A wise man can learn more from a foolish question than a fool can learn from a wise answer"

The Girl Gamer

Quote Originally Posted by jay_hawk View Post
    This happen too me before, maybe 3 or 4 times. It could be it is to warm behind your TV. My issues only happens when my room is above 30 c so I try to avoid playing in the afternoons in the Summer.
    Thing is, I mostly play at night and not in the afternoons that much. Of course it does get hot in my room at night that I mostly play in the dark and have the fan off to get my room being cooled down. I hope it's the cable and not the port.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingturk View Post
    If changing your HDMI cable doesn't fix the problem, it could be as simple as the HDMI port in your T.V being loose
    I have to get a new cable to test it out. As for the HDMI port on my tv being loose, how can it get loose if I never unplugged the HDMI once until now since I got the HDTV?