Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

The Upcoming PSN bloodbath - Dishonored vs Tons of Indie Developers

This is a discussion on The Upcoming PSN bloodbath - Dishonored vs Tons of Indie Developers within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Its a pointless argument if someone wants your product they will buy it, either today, tomorrow or next week. I ...

PRO Member

Its a pointless argument if someone wants your product they will buy it, either today, tomorrow or next week. I think that the more traffic they get going to the store in the first place the more chance they have of someone coming across there product and to blame Sony is sad, they are really ramped up to have a spectacular holiday sales if they play this holiday right. The right bundles the right price points this could be a real profitable time. They have had some block buster movies maybe there fortunes are finally turning around

PRO Member

Yeah why all the hate? Just buy the game you want and enjoy, there's no need in telling people how or what to do

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    Yeah why all the hate? Just buy the game you want and enjoy, there's no need in telling people how or what to do
    wow, been here almost a year and dont know ps360's opinions about sony, thats funny

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by annare41 View Post
    The actual argument here is that Dishonored is stealing the spotlight from the lesser titles. There's no hate or opinion about this, it's bad marketing on Sony's part.

Indie Game Developer

Ps360, you posted an article outlining exactly why it was so difficult for them to find a slot for these games, and then you criticize them for the poor timing. Did you even read the article you posted? The answer was RIGHT THERE.
    Hey. Hey. Look. Look at me. I'm playing video games.

Banned

As much as I don't care about COD anymore... I still wouldn't want to release a game head-to-head with it... what is your solution if you worked for Sony?

Kid, not loser

This happens all the time. Indie games get released along side other games same day as big titles every month. It's sometimes impossible to avoid. Also, this doesn't mean it's all bad for indie devs. When a major title costing $60 releases, not everyone wants to buy it at that high of a price. So when they see that, they figure they will buy a brand new game that is much cheaper. They may not get #1, but they will still get good sales for it.

Not only that, many people who buy titles like Dishonored, have planned to buy it before it releases. As with indie games, much more revenue comes in from people who just happen to stumble upon it and see its lower price and want to try it out.

It can be bad for indie devs, just as much as it can be good for them.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    This happens all the time. Indie games get released along side other games same day as big titles every month. It's sometimes impossible to avoid. Also, this doesn't mean it's all bad for indie devs. When a major title costing $60 releases, not everyone wants to buy it at that high of a price. So when they see that, they figure they will buy a brand new game that is much cheaper. They may not get #1, but they will still get good sales for it.

Not only that, many people who buy titles like Dishonored, have planned to buy it before it releases. As with indie games, much more revenue comes in from people who just happen to stumble upon it and see its lower price and want to try it out.

It can be bad for indie devs, just as much as it can be good for them.
    This. Plus imo I would much rather buy an indie game (smaller/cheaper in general) on PSN than any big name digital title period. For me, buying a digital copy (when I can get a hard copy) is a waste of my hard earned duckets.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Had Machinarium on PS3 for a few weeks now in the U.K., does that mean we got something first ( and free with PsPlus )? Yipee. It's quite good so far.

Anyway, any indie dev releasing a game anywhere in September through December must know it's a hard sell no matter how well promoted they are, even this year, where the competition has been thinned out by delays.

Hopefully it won't be too damaging, hey, the pressure is on big games to sell bucketloads after all, not the ones made with blood,sweat and tears by small studios.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Yeah Dishonored is a big title, but as they write in the article it's better than releasing it with CoD and AC.
    If they released this a month ago Borderlands 2 would have been in their way. I guess they don't have a chance with these big titles even though PSN games often turn out to be really great.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12