Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Upcoming PSN bloodbath - Dishonored vs Tons of Indie Developers

This is a discussion on The Upcoming PSN bloodbath - Dishonored vs Tons of Indie Developers within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The upcoming PSN bloodbath--and why it's unav - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games ...

INTJ

The Upcoming PSN bloodbath - Dishonored vs Tons of Indie Developers

The upcoming PSN bloodbath--and why it's unav - Video Game News, Videos and File Downloads for PC and Console Games at Shacknews.com

Next week, a number of high-profile indies will go head-to-head on the PlayStation Store. Derrick the Deathfin, Machinarium, Retro City Rampage, Joe Danger The Movie, and SunFlowers are just a few of the downloadable titles that will be available come Tuesday. But not only are they competing against each other, they must compete with new titles available via the Day 1 Digital program--namely, Dishonored.

"If I was one of those devs, I would be pissed," PSNStores.com tweeted. Not only must these indie devs compete for limited gaming dollars, they must compete for valued promotional spots on the PlayStation Store. Landing on the day that Dishonored arrives means that none are likely to get the top slot on the PlayStation Store--the PSN's most valuable piece of virtual real estate.

Speaking at a Sony-sponsored panel at IndieCade, Sony's Brian Silva, the man in charge of indie-oriented Pub Fund, admitted that next week's schedule is crowded. However, he argued that this was actually the best time to release for these games. "We put so many games there because of The Unfinished Swan," he said. Backed with the considerable marketing prowess of being a first-party title, Swan could possibly sway dollars away from the other indie games releasing this month.

That didn't seem like an acceptable answer for me, so I spoke to Silva after the panel. He admits that the timing is unfortunate; any digital release between September and December will be at a significant disadvantage, having to compete with higher-profile retail releases. But, if these games are done now, is it really fair to hold these games? Do you push it to the end of October, only to have it compete against Assassin's Creed 3? How about November, where it will have to compete against the likes of Call of Duty: Black Ops 2? You could push these games to next year--but for self-published developers, that might not be an option.

Silva encourages developers to do outreach beyond relying on placement in the PlayStation Store--a sentiment echoed by the Sony-funded developers at the panel. So yes, Shacknews will probably have lots of coverage of XCOM and Dishonored next week--but we're doing our part to highlight some of the other releases you may want to check out on next week's PlayStation Store update:

thanks sony for respecting indie devs by crushing all the release dates together on the same day as a major release.

you could of delayed the releases till next week or something when there's no game out that is worth mentioning and could of called it "Indie Dev week" or something but nope, we gotta put them out the same day as a bethesta game that will probably be brink 2.0

Change is good

Now back to Carol with the weather.

Rangers F.C

Who cares about the little people all I am interested in is Dishonored
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Who cares about the little people all I am interested in is Dishonored
    Because everyone wants stagnation in the industry.

Indie games rushes innovation into the industry simply because they arn't high and mighty publishers who can waste money on a Military FPS Shooter or a Allegedly "stealth" game and get billions of dollars. They actually have to be good at games to be noticed while bethesda just has to put a trailer or two out to get people excited.

Putting all these indie games that are good into one day and then throwing a giant mainstream game that will most likely suck on top of them to show off to the world is terrible.

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post

Indie games rushes innovation into the industry simply because they arn't high and mighty publishers who can waste money on a Military FPS Shooter or a Allegedly "stealth" game and get billions of dollars. They actually have to be good at games to be noticed.
    You can't sit there and say that every single indie game is innovative and amazing.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    You can't sit there and say that every single indie game is innovative and amazing.
    all the ones coming out next week on PSN are.

maybe except for unfinished swan and the sunflower game, but whatever.

Change is good

all the ones coming out next week on PSN are.

maybe except for unfinished swan, but whatever.
    So I see you've played them all enough to know that they are great and truly inspirational indie games eh?

INTJ

So I see you've played them all enough to know that they are great and truly inspirational indie games eh?
    yup.

played joe danger at Pax East, i found it really well done

i Played Machranium tons of times on my computer already, it's awesome too.

Change is good

yup.

played joe danger at Pax East, i found it really well done

i Played Machranium tons of times on my computer already, it's awesome too.
    I love Machranium too.

How long did you play Joe Danger at Pax East?

INTJ

I love Machranium too.

How long did you play Joe Danger at Pax East?
    for around 10-15 minutes

Played a cop level where you try to stop a bunch of bandits in a safe truck, got bored of the motorcycle levels after while, switched to minecarts, I actually found a bug while playing at pax.

they gave me a free code to the first game for trying it out.

Change is good

for around 10-15 minutes

Played a cop level, then the minecarts, I actually found a bug while playing at pax.

they gave me a free code to the first game for trying it out.
    Ah well I love forming opinions on how a game is amazing and inspirational in the first 10 minutes too.

INTJ

Ah well I love forming opinions on how a game is amazing and inspirational in the first 10 minutes too.
    joe danger isn't supposed to be inspirational. its a bunch of physics minigames combined with a level editor.

Rangers F.C

Indie games rushes innovation into the industry simply because they arn't high and mighty publishers who can waste money on a Military FPS Shooter or a Allegedly "stealth" game and get billions of dollars. They actually have to be good at games to be noticed while bethesda just has to put a trailer or two out to get people excited.

Putting all these indie games that are good into one day and then throwing a giant mainstream game that will most likely suck on top of them to show off to the world is terrible.
    I was only joking mate I know how it works , I am still more interested in Dishonored though

Change is good

joe danger isn't supposed to be inspirational. its a bunch of physics minigames combined with a level editor.
    And Dishonored is a piece of shit, it's an open-ended stealth game with multiple ways to approach problems.

INTJ

And Dishonored is a piece of shit, it's an open-ended stealth game with multiple ways to approach problems.
    did you play the game

because i have.

Change is good

did you play the game

because i have.
    No, and my pants appear to be creamed with envy.

Lvl 4 - Silver

It doesn't interest me.
    Sucker Punch and Guerrilla Games
    Are awesome

Rangers F.C

A bit harsh for a game thats not released has no demo and been receiving great reviews

Lvl 4 - Silver

That's why i love PSN, because of the variety of games they offer. Dishonored looks cool but i'll be getting Derrick the Deathfin, Machinarium, and Retro City rampage on day one of release cause they look cooler hahaha

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by leatherface000 View Post
    That's why i love PSN, because of the variety of games they offer. Dishonored looks cool but i'll be getting Derrick the Deathfin, Machinarium, and Retro City rampage on day one of release cause they look cooler hahaha
    all these games are on the PC already or coming to it soon (exceptions: unfinished swan and deathfin which looks like ecco the dolphin).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast