Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Lasombra Files Episode 24: Dead or Alive, You're Coming with Me

This is a discussion on Lasombra Files Episode 24: Dead or Alive, You're Coming with Me within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Are we just going to sit here and wait? This is the lamest ending for a game ever. No fade ...

Legend...Nuff Said

Lasombra Files Episode 24: Dead or Alive, You're Coming with Me

Are we just going to sit here and wait? This is the lamest ending for a game ever. No fade to black, no make-out scene, not even a ‘you and your friends are dead’, just sitting here watching the sand spill out of an hourglass, which has infinite sand, and next to the rotting and smelly corpse of a Fafnir. We really need to find a new spot. My lunch is not sitting right with that Fafnir, up next in Episode 24: Dead or Alive, You’re Coming with Me. Uh, hi, who are you? Snaps Fingers Wait, you’re that random NPC who gave us the hourglass to begin with. Yeah, it broke. Uh, V, why are emoticons replacing the text above his head? I didn’t think it was that important.

Disclaimer: This interview is reproduced as written by the interviewee with the exception of spelling and some grammar corrections. Picture copyright of its artist/photographer.

Name:
    Johan (Gyrocop)

Lasombra: When did you start gaming?

Gyrocop: I started when I was only 2 years old. Of course back then, it was really simple games on my parent’s stationary computer. After that I moved on to Disney/Kids games, usually platformers, but there was also some racing games too. I just kept evolving as a gamer and tried to broaden my taste of games to a variety of genres.

Lasombra: How did you choose your PSN name?

Gyrocop: There is this game called "Sly 3: Honor Among Thieves". In this game there is something called a gyrocopter. I just happened to really like the sound of that, but when I tried to use, that username on sites like Youtube and PSN, the username was always already taken. I hate to use a lot of random numbers on the back of the username so I shortened it, and have been using this username ever since.

Lasombra: What motivated you to become a trophy hunter? What was your initial spark?

Gyrocop: Believe or not, this site... kinda. After an update on the PS3 back in 2008, I saw the trophy icon on the XMB menu. I pressed and thought: "What the hell is this?” I searched on youtube, but got no answer. After some time has passed I tried googling it again, and found this site. in its early stage. The big breaking point was then I got close to the platinum in Burnout Paradise. I played the game for 2-3 days straight and when it popped up, I got hooked.

Lasombra: Are you a trophy hunter, platinum hunter, or a specific hunter? (Example: All GoW game hunter)

Gyrocop: I'm just a regular trophy hunter. I like getting platinums though and I try to get them, when I am able, but I'm quick to give up on them.

Lasombra: How many hours do you dedicate to trophy hunting?

Gyrocop: Too much. I play 5-6 hours a day. I do not really play, without at least vaguely going after a trophy.

What motivates you to go for that next trophy? How do you stay motivated after a long gaming session, particularly with grinding trophies?

Gyrocop: I often listen to music or watching youtube in grinding/really long sessions. It makes it easier. Also the "almost there" thoughts are also very helpful.

Lasombra: Have you ever gone through any burnout from your sessions?

Gyrocop: No... I've stayed on it. The only reason I sometimes takes breaks from trophy hunting is that something more important becomes apparent, like studying for finals and similar things.

Lasombra: What is your proudest platinum? Why? Was it your hardest?

Gyrocop: LittleBigPlanet 1. I'm proud of it because the time and effort I put into this to get it legit. No boosting or H4H, just plain practice and long nights to make my levels. I'll be getting the LBP 2 plat legit too, when I get to it.

Lasombra: Do you have a trophy goal for the year? If so, how far are you along in it?

Gyrocop: Well... I did have a goal of 40 plats, but since I completed that in the spring, I've just striving to have 100% on 40 PSN games, write a trophy guide for a Move only title, and plat a Move only title (which is hard since I only have one Move controller and most games need two).

Lasombra: Do you believe gamers should be allowed to make trophy hunting teams? Why or why not?

Gyrocop: I think trophy hunting was supposed to be a solo "sport". If there was a form of multiplayer trophy hunting, then I wouldn't have anything against it, but with the way it is now, it is kinda cheating.

Lasombra: Do you think Sony should create a world database with every user’s PSN trophy info for all to see? Why or why not?

Gyrocop: Sure, why not? It's not like it's like Facebook, where personal details are displayed. Though it may get sites like this lesser publicity, which is bad.

Lasombra: What tips do you have for someone trying to reach the next level and going after a difficult platinum?

Gyrocop: Don't be afraid to lose the game. Don't be afraid to fail once or twice or seven hundred times. You'll get there eventually. You will not get there by giving up.

Lasombra: Regardless of the system, what pre-trophy game would you auto-buy if it was released on the PS3 with trophy support?

Gyrocop: Since Ratchet and Clank are coming soon, the next one on my list is Kingdom Hearts 2.

Lasombra: Can you please tell the viewers what the Danish gaming scene is like? Are there a lot of gamers, or is the market very small?

Gyrocop: I guess the market is like most European countries. There are no Ultra Mega Stores or something, but gaming isn't exactly obscure. I've met a good chunk of Danish gamers, as well as trophy hunters. We do, however, really only have GameStop and online stores to get disc-versions of games, but I usually download my games anyway, since I'm lazy.

Lasombra: Being from Denmark, it's a safe bet your multi-lingual. How many languages do you speak?

Gyrocop: I speak three languages, in which Danish and English being very fluent. There is of course the occasional hiccup, but I can be in an English environment without embarrassing myself. I do also speak German to some extent. I know the basics and a few more advanced words, but I'm not fluent.

Lasombra: Do the games in Denmark come in Danish or English? Do you have a language preference?

Gyrocop: Most of them are English, but there are some games, where Danish is an option like LittleBigPlanet, Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, Sly (2nd and 3rd only) and Uncharted (text-only). Not that it really matters to me, since I usually turn on the English anyway, because I like the English voice actors better.

Lasombra: You mentioned you got your LBP1 platinum legit. Do you consider trophies achieved by use of boosting or a guide to be unlegit?

Gyrocop: Guides - of course not (I write 'em myself). They're good at having an overview of what to come, and how to find stuff and other useful things.

I'm a bit more torn on boosting. Boosting kills or wins in Shooters and Board Game Video Games is none of my concern since those are generally annoying and there is no harm in doing it, but in games like LBP where people have put TONS and TONS of effort, learning the ropes, figuring out the mechanisms, planning the level, decorating and a lot of other stuff, and it resulting in getting less fame, than an empty level with the "H4H" in it.

Lasombra: Your sig is one of the more unique ones on the sight. Are you a big Telltale fan, or do they just happen to makes games with those characters you like?

Gyrocop: Both actually. I really happen to like TellTale's point-and-click games, especially with the characters in my sig. Sam and Max is constantly funny dark humour, Guybrush Threepwood is always funny in the ridiculousness way, whereas Strong Bad (and Homsar) is just really bizarre. I'm not sure with all of these movie themed games, but I'll have a closer look at them.

Lasombra: Is there a big gaming rivalry between other Scandinavian countries like Sweden and Norway? Or is it non-existent?

Gyrocop: It's non-existent. Scandinavian countries are the best of pals. That's why we vote for each other, in Eurovision.

Lasombra: Any kind of favourite music you like to listen to during a long grinding session? A new Denmark pop or rock star that hasn't hit the mainstream yet?

Gyrocop: No. I like instrumental music for my gaming/grinding sessions. Lemon Jelly is an exceptionally good grinding music, together with a lot of indie game soundtracks, with artists like C418, SoulEye, Big Giant Circles, dB Soundworks, David Baranowsky,

Lasombra: What snacks and drinks get the Gyrocop Seal of Approval for your gaming sessions?

Gyrocop: I like eating cookies and winegum. I prefer to drink soda or juice. I like drinking Harboe sodas and Capri Sonne Juice.

You’re Russian, aren't you supposed to know like twenty different languages? Those are the Scandinavians? Remind me to keep a Scandinavian translator on the company payroll if we ever get back to our reality. Hey, he stopped emoticonning...I still don’t know what he is saying...something about a mirror and...sword hilt? That can’t be right. The truth will be revealed in Episode CLANK!

Love it, Hate it, write in the comments below and be heard by the community.

Missed an episode? Check out the Back Issues. No monthly subscription fee either!

Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter
    @LasombraFiles
    Last edited by Lasombra; 10-08-2012 at 08:13 PM.

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Crocodile Hunter

Nice to learn more about Gyrocop

Sig by Apokolypz

Summer holidays :)

Great interview, didn't realise you were so young Gyrocop. It's great learning more about everyone in these interviews

Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

Its plugged into the wall

I had no idea, that I was next. That hint was so vague, that even I didn't get it. This was really fun to do, but I wish I was able to say more to the question... oh well, I gave it a shot.

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Retired

Great to know more about you. Especially how you got your name .

Lvl 9 - Gold

Great interview as always!
    It's quite interesting to know about videogame dubs and translations, as well as how diverse the community is!
    And I love the sig as well!

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Aes Dana

Fantastic interview!

Oh by the way, you mentioned you like listening to Lemon Jelly and for that fact alone, i can safely say you have great taste in music. Which album do you prefer? Lemonjelly KY or Lost Horizons? Personally i prefer KY slightly better but both albums are sublime....

Random Access Memories

Fantastic interview guys. Great to learn some more about the Gyro!

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |Sig by Smashguy | GDT bar by
    djunglist|
    |Avy - Daft Punk returns|

Thanks to GDT for hosting awesome competitions!

Grandmasterpiece

Always fun to learn about Gyro.

Outdated Plat-bar by ThunderStick, sig by DaRe, avatar by ROBO3AG13
    Click the sig and be whisked away to my checklist (now with updates!)! Or click here to visit my YouTube channel! Vote on my Playstation Grandmasterpiece HERE!

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    Fantastic interview!

Oh by the way, you mentioned you like listening to Lemon Jelly and for that fact alone, i can safely say you have great taste in music. Which album do you prefer? Lemonjelly KY or Lost Horizons? Personally i prefer KY slightly better but both albums are sublime....
    It's funny you ask that question, because '64-'95 is actually my favourite, then KY then Lost Horizons... All of the Lemon Jelly albums are awesome though.

I just wanted to thank you all for the nice response and interest in me... I feel loved .

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Rainbow in the dark

Great interview even though i scrolled straight to the bottom without reading a word like most members who reply on here
    sig made by Bladia

Every time I drink a beer
    It makes your lazy eye disappear
    Every time I do a shot
    I think you're hot, but I know you're not
    Oh, I'm just trying to drink you pretty

Ze Paradox Ninja Assassin

Wow, pretty sweet you got that LBP 1 platinum legit, unfortunately I just do not have the creative juices to do it on my own Great interview Gyro and Lasombra!

Blazikiller's Killer Checklist
    My checklist to Glory my dedication and organize my forgetfulness
    Currently Under Long-Term Renovation

Latest Accomplishment
    Mortal Kombat

Current Endeavours

Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel

Roo Commander

Yet another excellent interview. Good to learn a bit more about young Gyro

The One and Only

Nice to learn more about The Gyrocopter!

And I enjoy reading his trophy guides too, most recently Ratchet and Clank: Up Your Arsenal.

Siggin' since June 2012 | Sig Made by Me | Platcard made by djunglist
    DaRe's Journey of Art
    Drawings on first post, sig showcase on second.

DaRe's Adventures v5.20
    My Trophy Checklist back in contruction!

Free-Style Signature Request Shop
    My sig shop with knuckle and Bladia, currently taking requests!

DareCity701
    My dA account.

My YouTube Channel

Please subscribe today!

Requests Due: 0
    Collabs Due: 0

Galaxy beauty pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Scrunch View Post
    Great interview, didn't realise you were so young Gyrocop. It's great learning more about everyone in these interviews
    Didn't realise you were so young as well.

Good interview to you both!
    Sig by Ramon

Galaxy beauty pirate

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    Didn't realise you were so young as well.
    Good interview to you both!
    I think the next one will be Kerwan. just another wild guess.

Edit: I don't know why I've quoted my own post (I ment to edit it).. Must be because it's early in the morning.
    Sig by Ramon

Aes Dana

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post
    It's funny you ask that question, because '64-'95 is actually my favourite, then KY then Lost Horizons... All of the Lemon Jelly albums are awesome though.

I just wanted to thank you all for the nice response and interest in me... I feel loved .
    I could never get into '64-'95 for some strange reason? I think i just prefer the sound of the other albums more.

Quote Originally Posted by Timeless-Enigma View Post
    I could never get into '64-'95 for some strange reason? I think i just prefer the sound of the other albums more.
    LemonJelly.KY and Lost Horizons both has this more softer feeling throughout the whole albums whereas '64-'95 is more varied and experimental. I'm a minority for liking '64-'95 best. "Go" is an absolutely brilliant track in my opinion. To each their own, I guess .

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

Great interview as ever Lasombra and congrats to Gyro too, it was a great read and congrats on reaching your trophy goal and surpassing it too mate, nice one . You also do some awesome stuff for the site aswell man so props for that too. Next interview.........as ever, not a bloody clue but Artemis seems to have the right idea. I never would have thought of that if i didn't see her post

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

Legend...Nuff Said

The Episode 25 Special is two days and a half days away (Asia Time)

L
    asombra Files Interviews and Top Trophy Tournament Commentary from Skip and Max linked in the banner.
    Checkout the Facebook page or follow me on Twitter @LasombraFiles
    My first novel can be found here: The Lasombra Files: Choice and Consequence
    Big thanks to the site for giving me my start as a writer!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast