First day patches (or lack of)

This is a discussion on First day patches (or lack of) within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Just wondered about peoples thoughts on first day patches for games, do they annoy you? The fact that games have ...

Lvl 4 - Silver

First day patches (or lack of)

Just wondered about peoples thoughts on first day patches for games, do they annoy you? The fact that games have experienced quality testers and some releases even having open beta testing? glitches that could have been ironed out during this phase... Do you hold back on new game purchases for this reason until it's had a patch or two, or do you buy new games irrelevant of these issues?

Does the absence of these patches for a week or two annoy you? or have you come to expect this from certain developers? the lack of promt multi platform support at the same time? ie Xbox 360 for example having better support than PS3 with quicker patches and fixes with PS3 lacking days if not weeks behind often?

I know that's a fair few questions but I wanted an open debate, great to know your thoughts
    Because Trophies are amazing...

Threat

Since I have great internet connection they're not a problem to me, but it does tell something about the developer.
    Thanks to djunglist for the sig and avy

Lvl 4 - Silver

Yeah, it's not a problem to me either really as for the same reason, and most are short/small, but isn't it frustrating they can't release a finished version of a game? especially the ones which are delayed weeks/months. Like you said, it does have a lot to say about the developer.

Up the Irons!

It doesn't vex me. I think it's better than playing the game and experiencing glitches, and having to wait for a patch.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Change is mediocre

I really don't care much, it's a minor inconvenience but nothing more.

Angel of Death

It just means they are on top of the game, so it's a good thing.

Check Those Corners

Its ok.. but if you go BF3 and have a 3000 MB patch first day, I am going to wait until I have enough time to download it.

Fight the Future

Patches are a good thing. There can be months from when a game goes "gold" to when it is released. Some issues can be found within that time (and fixed) and if a developer can fix those issues and have a patch ready for us when we boot the game up I say that's good on them. On the other hand, there are developers that do use it as an excuse to release a shitty game to just patch later, but we generally already expect mediocre games from any developer that will do that, so again, not a big deal.

What people need to remember is games are getting much more complex with each generation. People go on and on about how "last generation games weren't released with bugs" and all that nonsense (which is bullshit, games have always had bugs and always will, it's just the nature of the beast) but they always seem to forget that it's a lot harder to make a game for the PS3 or 360 than it was for the Genesis. Also, no matter how many game testers a company has, it's no where near the amount of people that will purchase the game so obviously more bugs will be discovered once the game has been played by millions, instead of just a few hundred (if that.)

I welcome patches and I guarantee that if developers were able to patch their games in the 8 and 16-bit era they would've done so.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by James_Page View Post
    Patches are a good thing. There can be months from when a game goes "gold" to when it is released. Some issues can be found within that time (and fixed) and if a developer can fix those issues and have a patch ready for us when we boot the game up I say that's good on them. On the other hand, there are developers that do use it as an excuse to release a shitty game to just patch later, but we generally already expect mediocre games from any developer that will do that, so again, not a big deal.

What people need to remember is games are getting much more complex with each generation. People go on and on about how "last generation games weren't released with bugs" and all that nonsense (which is bullshit, games have always had bugs and always will, it's just the nature of the beast) but they always seem to forget that it's a lot harder to make a game for the PS3 or 360 than it was for the Genesis. Also, no matter how many game testers a company has, it's no where near the amount of people that will purchase the game so obviously more bugs will be discovered once the game has been played by millions, instead of just a few hundred (if that.)

I welcome patches and I guarantee that if developers were able to patch their games in the 8 and 16-bit era they would've done so.
    Completely agree here, games always have had bugs and glitches, while it is a lot harder to make these games we also need to ensure that these skilled people have the correct resources and time to realise their maximum potential, instead of rushing out mediocre games I think, you can only do as good a job as the tools in which you are given, if anything patches I feel are a good thing, if it improves the game play then I'm all for it personally, patches since this gen of consoles have become more accessible thanks to the internet and I believe it's something we should be grateful for, I just hate lazy developers who rush games out to patch at a later date

PRO Member

They don't bother me. Release day paid DLC (excluding online codes or codes included with purchase; basically dlc to deter people from buying used) annoys me. Well.. it is slightly annoying knowing that there are people who get paid to play, test and help find these bugs, and yet most games end up shipping packed with them. At least they're easily patchable now, compared to last-gen when you were stuck with it unless they had a re-release or GOTY edition.

I have noticed that most bugs today seem to be game-breakers. Last-gen had a lot of fun/game enhancing bugs compared to what we see today. Has anyone else noticed this too?
    YouTube: Sk3pT1kaL

Lvl 4 - Silver

I've noticed the game breakers yeah, and especially in going for achievements or trophies in games, glitches and bugs where you could fly through buildings and walls or end up with infinite ammo or unlimited boosts in cars, things like that, or just plain funny random things... but now with data corruptions and the first thing I mentioned, it really does suck! I had a friend get almost to the end of Max Payne 3 on NYMHC mode and then according to the game they basically advanced too quick for the enemies to spawn, the enemies couldn't spawn, and the only thing they could do was quit and restart the WHOLE game again, look up New York Minute Hardcore Mode if you want a challenge in a game, haha!