Error code 800283F0

This is a discussion on Error code 800283F0 within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I recently sent my PS3 for service. I got it back today and try to restore my data. Before ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Error code 800283F0

So I recently sent my PS3 for service. I got it back today and try to restore my data. Before I sent the system in I backed everything up on a hard drive formated in FAT32.

When I go to the restore option it finishes and comes up with the error code 800283FO. What am I supposed to do?

I've tried things like turning all the auto-power off options off and some other quirks but nothing has helped. I can't re-backup the data cuz Sony wiped it out when they serviced it.

Interesting thing is one time I canceled the restore at like 20% and it restored everything. My game data, demos, downloaded titels, pictures, and saved data. The only thing that was missing was my copyright protected data. Games like Assassin's Creed 2, Spec Ops the line, Spiderman Shattered Dimensions etc.

I thought the whole point of backing up your data using the backup utility was to get the copyright data back and not lose it.

I would take any help I can get. So thanks to anyone who can offer me some help.

Lvl 4 - Silver

I hope you find a solution buddy, really I do, is there nothing on the PS3 tech forums on the official site or anything? or anything listed on google when you type the error code? I'm guessing you've perhaps already tried this?
    Because Trophies are amazing...

Lvl 4 - Silver

This probably isn't the thing you wanted to read my friend but this is what I've just found Error 800283F0 - PlayStation Forum

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by leavingnoname View Post
    This probably isn't the thing you wanted to read my friend but this is what I've just found Error 800283F0 - PlayStation Forum
    The guy said he fixed it by manually copying everything from the old HDD to the new one.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    The guy said he fixed it by manually copying everything from the old HDD to the new one.
    Yeah but the poster here said that he can't re-backup the data cause it's already been wiped by Sony

Negator

Quote Originally Posted by leavingnoname View Post
    Yeah but the poster here said that he can't re-backup the data cause it's already been wiped by Sony
    He needs to copy each individual save file from his backup drive to his rebuilt PS3 in order to get around the error.

Any time my console needs repairs, I do a data transfer to another PS3 I have, then I transfer back to the original PS3 when Sony sends it back to me.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by dsluckay View Post
    You can't copy anything manually from one PS3 HDD to another. The only things on a PS3 back-up drive are compressed archives in 4GB blocks. The data itself is inaccessible.

He would have been referring to Images, Music, Videos, Saves etc that can be manually backed-up to USB, which doesn't help in this case.

@OP - just restore your game saves from USB and/or PS+, if you have it. Nothing else matters.

Game data, DLC, themes, icons etc can be reinstalled from disc or the PSN.

The Site Mascot

This error is caused by certain Game System Data, basically you have to delete them before you do the backup utility otherwise you can't restore your data.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Thanks guys for your input.

I tried google and didn't really find anything useful so.

I can't backup the data again because Sony deleted it. So all I have is the backup data on my external hard drive. There is no way for me to do the backup utility again. (unless there's some sort of round about cookies hacking way).

Also, as already stated when the PS3 backups your files it compresses them into smaller files, so there is no way to do it individually.

The weird thing is I've read at other places that people WERE able to restore the Assassin's Creed 2 game saves as well as other "copyright" protected saves.

That's really my issue here. It won't restore those "copyright" saves. Damn dev's for putting that crap on their games.

I'll keep trying and if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by seanquan View Post
    Thanks guys for your input.

I tried google and didn't really find anything useful so.

I can't backup the data again because Sony deleted it. So all I have is the backup data on my external hard drive. There is no way for me to do the backup utility again. (unless there's some sort of round about cookies hacking way).

Also, as already stated when the PS3 backups your files it compresses them into smaller files, so there is no way to do it individually.

The weird thing is I've read at other places that people WERE able to restore the Assassin's Creed 2 game saves as well as other "copyright" protected saves.

That's really my issue here. It won't restore those "copyright" saves. Damn dev's for putting that crap on their games.

I'll keep trying and if anyone has any other suggestions I would appreciate it.
    The AC2 etc restores were likely from Data Transfers to another PS3, which backs up copy-prohibited Game Saves.

I'm not so sure Backups to an external HDD does the same. Prior to PS+, those saves could only exist in one location at any given time and weren't copied, but moved to a new PS3.

PS+ to backup/restore copy-protected saves is the simple answer for anyone else in your predicament. It's the main reason I subscribe...losing them isn't fun.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Unfortunately, I don't have PS+ so I can't/couldn't update to the cloud. I've seen people saying that the used the restore feature, and not the transfer data feature and it worked for them. They got all their copyright saves. But who knows maybe they didn't know what they hell they were talking about.

I also read that if you create your old account and sign in to psn first, then do the restore that it will work. I'm going to try it, but I don't think it will help, because when you restore it deletes everything on the hard disk. To my knowledge that would mean deleting in users on the system. But we'll see.

PRO Member

Hopefully it doesn't delete your user profile and you'll be able to get your stuff back, but yeah, PS+ is totally worth it for that reason.

Side note. So I recently tried to fix my old PS3 and was unsuccessful and based on this thread, am I safe to assume that there is no way to get some of my other saves off the old hard drive? Like if I tried hooking it up to a computer it would not work and if I tried putting it into the new PS3 it would try to reformat?

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Lvl 7 - Gold

I am not sure how much hate and disgust I can share about this failure of a feature.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    Hopefully it doesn't delete your user profile and you'll be able to get your stuff back, but yeah, PS+ is totally worth it for that reason.

Side note. So I recently tried to fix my old PS3 and was unsuccessful and based on this thread, am I safe to assume that there is no way to get some of my other saves off the old hard drive? Like if I tried hooking it up to a computer it would not work and if I tried putting it into the new PS3 it would try to reformat?
    Well I called sony today and they said the only FOR SURE way to get the copyrighted files to a new hard drive is using the cloud feature with PS+. They said that if you use the transfer data utility between two systems that it SHOULD work. WTF? I thought the backup utility would work.

Maybe, i'll find an answer, but right now I say fuck Sony. They advertize that playing on psn is free, but if you want your data you have to pay $60 a year? I might as well go play Xbox. They have a WAY better backup feature.

I'm still holiding out with hope though....

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Okay so I wanted to do the right thing and post an update on my situation. Hopefully this will help out others in the future.

1. I called sony, and they gave me shit saying the only way to gurantee copyrighted data to be backed up was by using the PS+ cloud feature. Well screw them.

I tried several different things and none of them seemed to work. Here is the interesting thing.

When I did the restore operation it would go to 100% then come up with the error code 800283FO. Which means you have corrupt data.

It would REINSTORE my users, and my save data. However, it wouldn’t include photos, videos, ANY game data utility, or they copyrighted saves.

So one time I cancelled the restore at 20% and all my game data was there as well as photos, demos, vids, and save data. Still no copyright data.

So for another time I tried the restore and watched exactly when the error message pops up. It popped up at 40%. Now this is what I did and what I believe fixed my problem.

I went into SAFE MODE. If you don’t know how it’s very easy, and can be looked up on Sony’s website. When I went into safe mode first I restored the file system. There are 6 choices in safe mode. DO number 3 first. It will restore your file system.

Next I went back into safe mode and did option 4 which is “Rebuild Database”.

After this I tried the backup restore feature one more time, however this time I cancelled it at 39%.

When I did this BAM! EVERYTHING WAS BACK!!!! YES even the copyrighted files.

I’m not sure what all the reasoning behind this is or the technical mumbo jumbo, but hopefully it will help somebody else out there if they come across the same problem.

I also put all those games in my system and loaded them up to make sure the data would work. IT did everything just fine.

Thanks for everyone that helped.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Good to hear your ps3's back up and running

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I had the exact same problem yesterday and I instead of putting the PS3 in safe mode, I restored it normally but when it get to 57% (1% less than when the error 800283F0 occured), I canceled the restore, restar the PS3 rebuilted database and now I have the copyright protected games, game data, save data, etc. But I don't have my PSN account and instead of saying "Sign In" It says "Sign Up"
    What should I do?

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by sosz_199 View Post
    I had the exact same problem yesterday and I instead of putting the PS3 in safe mode, I restored it normally but when it get to 57% (1% less than when the error 800283F0 occured), I canceled the restore, restar the PS3 rebuilted database and now I have the copyright protected games, game data, save data, etc. But I don't have my PSN account and instead of saying "Sign In" It says "Sign Up"
    What should I do?
    You have to click on sign up and will give you the chance to log in your original PSN ID as long as you remember your Password and E-mail address you used at sign up.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Ok thanks! It worked perfectly now!