Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

??? Possible PS4 Feature ???

This is a discussion on ??? Possible PS4 Feature ??? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; The IBTimes tech team has been busy with New York Comic Con coverage this week, but one thing that didn’t ...

Ice Cream Firefighter

??? Possible PS4 Feature ???

The IBTimes tech team has been busy with New York Comic Con coverage this week, but one thing that didn’t show up on the main floor of Javits Center Thursday or Friday was new hardware from the Japanese video game and tech giant Sony Corp. (NYSE: SNE). Still, that didn’t stop the popular video game site Kotaku from getting wind of a patent application filed by Sony on Thursday for a new video game controller that could heat up and cool down along with gameplay cues.

The model for the alleged controller (Sony representatives have so far refused to comment) is based off the Playstation Move -- Sony’s motion-controlled device that complements certain Playstation 3 games, similar to Microsoft’s (Nasdaq: MSFT) Kinect device. The main addition is a row of metal bands that heat up or cool down depending on different actions happening in-game.

“In one embodiment, a user controls the firing of a weapon in a video game,” the patent reads. “As the weapon is repeatedly fired, the weapon may heat up and the controller may exhibit increasing heat feedback to communicate this fact to the user. At a certain point, the weapon may become inoperable, and the user must then wait for the weapon to cool off before firing the weapon again.”

The patent went on to say that the controller may even “change from a change from a cooler color to a warmer color, such as from blue or green to orange or red” to offer “lighted feedback in conjunction with the thermal feedback.”

Like the recent smash hit of a Kickstarter campaign championed by the Oculus Rift -- another nearly too-good-to-be-true idea, Sony’s new controller promises gamers an immersive augmented reality experience that they had previously only been able to dream of. Another possibility that the patent described would have the controller respond “when the character is hit by enemy fire or an explosion.” Other possible features including a heated sensor that gets warmer or colder as users search for objects within a game, and cool down whenever their hands get too warm or sweaty.

Sony declined to comment on the new patent.
    This sounds like a really interesting concept. Who know it may even spell doom for the campers in COD & Battlefield

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I would actually like this. Would add that much more realism to the game and with me being a racing fan this would be great to feel when the some part of the car gets hot and you need to figure out a way to cool it down, or when it is too cold and need to heat it up.

The only thing that may be a problem is that the heating pads overheat and may melt the outer plastic or heat up the metal way to much and burn you. Metal and plastic since I dont know what the outer shell will be made of conisdering there is a heating element in it.

Rangers F.C

Would be pretty cool with gun fire , a vest would be cool if you feel the bullets hit the direction they are coming from
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Up the Irons!

That actually sounds like a really good idea. But, like someone has already mentioned, what if it overheats?

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Negator

This is a really dumb idea.

Ice Cream Firefighter

I don't think they will release it until they think it's safe to do so but I also think it won't heat up a great deal it will get cool & warm only imo. Also imo they might want to use the color/colour changing control so if the control feels warm, we have to look at the control to see what grade the warmth is.
    Last edited by great_daze_tazer; 10-16-2012 at 03:35 PM.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Avy=DARE, Sig=Djung

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Would be pretty cool with gun fire , a vest would be cool if you feel the bullets hit the direction they are coming from
    agreed but that would pretty hard and where would you get the air impact from?!

this sounds like a great idea imo sounds like something big

The Site Mascot

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    This is a really dumb idea.
    I see why it is a dumb idea. The constant heating and cooling is not good on materials such as plastic and metal thermal shock, and I see that a controller such as this would break easily, that is unless Sony has access to adamantium. I like the concept though, would be interesting I have to say but also keep in mind it may be uber expensive.

Avater and signature created by my Best Friend and brotha DaRe_xLw
    Aqua's Furry Adventures Through Time and Space.

Lvl 7 - Gold

The idea is cool, but how many developers will use it? Common, just look at the Move right now, it's not that popular.

Ice Cream Firefighter

Consider this the baby steps into Virtual Reality & the idea about a jacket that has impact spots for FPS games it's most likely one of the steps we will experience along the way to them perfecting VR for us.

I hope so for that would be sweet

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    agreed but that would pretty hard and where would you get the air impact from?!

this sounds like a great idea imo sounds like something big
    You could ware a helmet for air and boots for IED's and mines ...............................thats too much lol
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

honestly ... I don't like the idea of this

First of ... just seems like a bit of a pointless feature to me xD I mean if my controller started getting hot my initiate reaction wouldn't be damn this is awesome/realistic, instead id be worried about my controller overheating (already have enough worries about that with my console)
    Second of all, to get technical I just don't see how they would make this work ... like with the gun example, your gun is overheated, you wait for like 5 seconds for it too cool down, but wait your controller is still hot as @!%# and its only gonna get hotter when you continue to fire your weapon ... point is how are they gonna make the controller go from "hot" to "cold" in a matter of seconds to fit with the game?

Anyways if this is a feature I hope they will at least give us the option of turning it off, just as with vibration and motion control ^__^

Thanks to Dsluckay for the signature and Avatar

Currently working on:Tomb Raider: Definitive Edition, Ratchet and Clank: Nexus

Future project: None ATM

Deathless Destroyer

I see what they are trying to achieve, but it isn't possible at the moment. If Sony pushed hundreds of millions into the console and controller, the price would be very high at release date and after 5/6 years would probably only reach $1000. And also it's a bit stupid, as the Playstation is designed to play games, so releasing a thermal controller which heats up to "burning my hand" temperature would be what customers wouldn't want.

What would work better is VR headsets (Virtual Reality - they already have a few models), but they cost thousands of dollars ATM..
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, [I]120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 3 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Youtube Channel

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Prayer Warrior

it's a cool idea but they need a better material than plastic to make them out of

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

Lvl 6 - Silver

I like the part when it catches its self on fire and kills people.

Just assuming it will happen
    Batman Arkham Asylum l Batman Arkham City l Bioshock l Borderlands l GoW: Chains of Olympus l God of War
    GoW: Ghost of Sparta l God of War II l God of War III l InFamous l Killzone l Killzone 3 l LEGO Batman 2 l LEGO LotR
    LittleBigPlanet l LittleBigPlanet Vita l Plants Vs. Zombies Vita l PS All-Stars Vita l R&C: Going Commando
    R&C: Up Your Arsenal l R&C: A Crack in Time l R&C: All4One l R&C: Full Frontal Assault l Resistance: Burning Skies
    The Walking Dead l Trine 2 l Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by oscar View Post
    I like the part when it catches its self on fire and kills people.

Just assuming it will happen
    It'd be funnier if it burnt the TV, not the actual user of the controller.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, [I]120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 3 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Youtube Channel

Ice Cream Firefighter

Already said this in post #6 but I will go into a little more detail.

If this does end up happening & I hope it does happen, their plan is not to burn/freeze you, so don't be silly guys. It will give you COOL/WARM sensations through different means.

The warmth will come from a controlled electrical current, with a temperature cutoff protocol so it won't catch fire or burn you.

The coolness will come from a Element (like what's on the back of your fridge,) that'll be inside the control & will be able to cool the control in seconds.

Which brings me to the color/colour changing feature which they also patented. They will most likely use it as a way of further alerting you to the cool/warm status of your control through different color/colours.

No Light - Dormant
    Blue Light - Light Use
    Green Light - Regular Use
    Yellow Light - Moderate Use
    Orange Light - Heavy Use
    Red Light - Overheated (which also starts the controls cooldown process)

This is what I think they might do from what I have read online & been told by HQ. But things can change at a moments notice & they could scrap or reinvent the whole idea. But as of this moment it's a rumour nothing more so don't stress about it.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Angel of Death

I like the idea in theory, but I want to see it put to use.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    Already said this in post #6 but I will go into a little more detail.

If this does end up happening & I hope it does happen, their plan is not to burn/freeze you, so don't be silly guys. It will give you COOL/WARM sensations through different means.

The warmth will come from a controlled electrical current, with a temperature cutoff protocol so it won't catch fire or burn you.

The coolness will come from a Element (like what's on the back of your fridge,) that'll be inside the control & will be able to cool the control in seconds.

Which brings me to the color/colour changing feature which they also patented. They will most likely use it as a way of further alerting you to the cool/warm status of your control through different color/colours.

No Light - Dormant
    Blue Light - Light Use
    Green Light - Regular Use
    Yellow Light - Moderate Use
    Orange Light - Heavy Use
    Red Light - Overheated (which also starts the controls cooldown process)

This is what I think they might do from what I have read online & been told by HQ. But things can change at a moments notice & they could scrap or reinvent the whole idea. But as of this moment it's a rumour nothing more so don't stress about it.
    What they should do is do mild cooling for the first 2 settings and moderate for the third. By doing this the controller would be unable to overheat at all. However, this theory would be difficult to put into practice.

Youtube Channel

PRO Member

Very interesting, I hope this happens. I'd also love if we got guns that look like the real thing

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast