Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

PS4 To Be Delayed

This is a discussion on PS4 To Be Delayed within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by nightowl_80 I hope they make the PS4 be able to play all the game games from ps, ...

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by nightowl_80 View Post
    I hope they make the PS4 be able to play all the game games from ps, ps2 and ps3, That is the only way Sony will get my money on release date.
    So you are only interested in backward compatibility other than mass performance improvements, the format, what it does etc? I heard somewhere it will not include the chip which enables backward compatibility.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 6 - Silver

good news we don't need this for at least another 5-10yrs and anyway still happy with my ps3

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by jarethgeason View Post
    good news we don't need this for at least another 5-10yrs and anyway still happy with my ps3
    Another 3/4 years - correction there. Sony stated that each of their consoles would likely have a 10 year life before starting to die out.

PS3 has another 4 years to go at least before it will start to die.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    So you are only interested in backward compatibility other than mass performance improvements, the format, what it does etc? I heard somewhere it will not include the chip which enables backward compatibility.
    backwards compatibility is a non-starter for the ps4. They are changing the architecture again and have abandoned the cell. They figured (and I think correctly) that BC is gimicky and unnecessary as people already own the prior generation consoles, and if they don't, they can pick one up for cheap. I'd rather have reliable hardware and not reinvent YLOD/RLOD on the next generation than have BC convenience.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by DarthPhysicist View Post
    backwards compatibility is a non-starter for the ps4. They are changing the architecture again and have abandoned the cell. They figured (and I think correctly) that BC is gimicky and unnecessary as people already own the prior generation consoles, and if they don't, they can pick one up for cheap. I'd rather have reliable hardware and not reinvent YLOD/RLOD on the next generation than have BC convenience.
    This ^

By the time the PS4/XBOX 720 comes out you should be ready for a range of improvements, not to be able to play old games on a system designed for much more. Would you rather do something on a screen with 3800+p, or an old game which only supports 720/1080p?

Ice Cream Firefighter

I agree with everyone else backwards compatibility is not needed & i'm pretty sure the last time I checked Wii can't play 64, SNES & NES games unless it's downloaded

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123