Europe's New Playstation Store Up & Running *review*

This is a discussion on Europe's New Playstation Store Up & Running *review* within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; In Europe the new PlayStation Store has just launched and there are quite a few changes, both good and bad. ...

Ice Cream Firefighter

Europe's New Playstation Store Up & Running *review*

In Europe the new PlayStation Store has just launched and there are quite a few changes, both good and bad.Firstly, the most surprising thing is that the store is now a downloadable app, when you select the PlayStation Store icon for the first time, you’ll have to download a 26MB file instead of being automatically taken to a web page. We can only guess that using a dedicated app should be more stable and faster than the original store. The new store then loads, this loading time is around 30 seconds at the moment due to the store being brand new but Sony have said this loading time will greatly improve.Users are then taken to a new fresh store with a HD look, with everything that’s brand new on the home page. That means there is no more having to go to the “What’s New” tab. When scrolling to the right side of the home page, you’ll see categories such as “Top rated games”, “This weeks top sellers” and “All latest PS3 games”. Selecting “See More” on one of those categories will take you to another menu. For example selecting “All PS3 games” will display the most popular games on the right hand side while giving you a menu on the left which allows you to choose the genre of game you want to explore.

You can also sort and filter while browsing so if you’re on a budget, you can choose to filter whatever you’re viewing from lowest price to highest or vice versa. You can also filter the names/titles to appear from A-Z or Z-A and choose to show games from oldest to newest or newest to oldest. You can even search for a specific game feature so if you want a game that uses PS Move you can search for that too.Searching for a specific game or movie has been altered also. Originally, searching for something was often a long process and the items it threw up were irrelevant, this has been improved so it’s easier and quicker.What’s most noticeable is the buying/downloading functionality. Before it was a simple process, you could download the thing you wanted straight away or add it to your cart and then checkout all at once. Now the store forces you to add the item to your cart, which is better if you’re buying/downloading several things at once but if you only want one item it’s a longer process.Basically, if you want to download a demo you select “Add to Cart” then “View Cart”, “Checkout”, “Confirm Purchase” and finally you can then download your demo.

On the plus side it’s easier to view what add-ons or DLC is available for each game. When you view a PS3 game there are several options, you can buy it, download the demo/trial (if available), look at an overview of the product, look at the add-ons or check out the recommendations. The add-ons tab will show how much DLC is available for that game and then you can browse all the content linked with that game which is possibly the best change Sony have made to the Store.It may not be perfect just yet but Sony have listened to user feedback and revamped the store accordingly. They say they will update the store every one or two months based on comments they receive from users on how to improve it as well as adding new features to the store they already have planned. It’s good to see Sony listening to their fans and it hopefully means that time consuming check out process will be improved. The store is currently being rolled out to all territories now but North American users will have to wait until October 23rd to see the new store.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

PRO Member

~Source..........

Sig by - ~ Avatar by - DaRe

Zombie Killin' Business
    Are you a Professional Zombie Slayer? Join now!

Side Project
    My (incomplete) checklist, and trophy guides.

The GGA
    Sig Battles, SotW, SotM, and more!

Got a YouTube Channel?
    Post it here!

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by SideEffect View Post
    ~Source..........
    Whoops I forgot to add the source thanks SideEffect

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Administrator

Something new to learn, I think it will be better in the long run. And better looking

Lvl 3 - Bronze

the original store was something we all understood, Sorted similar to windows file system. Open folder > contents are there > Search by type > ect.

Now its going to be a mess o.e They shouldve made the stores optional.

Change is mediocre

I just love it, it's so simple and nice. It still strikes a resemblance to the 360's dashboard a little though. I'm looking forward to it.

The only sane person here

Looks awesome can't wait

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I still don't have it lol am I missing much in all honesty

Created by Prosthetic

From here on out Blank friend requests will not be acknowledged

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Alchemist View Post
    I still don't have it lol am I missing much in all honesty
    I like it myself it is quite simple to use was kinda confusing at first though but doesn't take long to learn. You guys are in a better position though as we are the guinea pigs that are testing it with all it's problems so they can fix it & give you guys the perfected product

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    I like it myself it is quite simple to use was kinda confusing at first though but doesn't take long to learn. You guys are in a better position though as we are the guinea pigs that are testing it with all it's problems so they can fix it & give you guys the perfected product
    Im in the uk dude and still don't have it lol, i must be special or summit just tried it again and no download

Created by Prosthetic

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Alchemist View Post
    Im in the uk dude and still don't have it lol, i must be special or summit just tried it again and no download
    that's weird, I wonder if it's just you or if anyone else from the UK is having this problem because if we have it in Australia than you should definitely have it, because Australia is usually last to get everything.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Lvl 3 - Bronze

i kno but im staring at the old store at this moment in time ah we'll should get a decent product when mine finally roles out lol

Created by Prosthetic

Lvl 1 - Bronze

im in the uk and i downloaded the new one and used it but now when i go on its back to the old store. weird???

PRO Member

I was hoping for an area in the store that allowed you to view/sort/organize all the content you've purchased over the years. If I go to the current 'view downloads' area, I have to sort through 1400+ items to see what I've downloaded. From the looks of this review, it doesn't seem like this offers any improvements.

Angel of Death

Reminds me of the 360 Dashboard, but that's not a bad thing. I got used to the pictures after a week, so definitely looking forward to seeing it in person.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

just got the store lol so now to see it for me self and see if it lives up to the original

Created by Prosthetic

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I dont like how it takes so long to just simply buy stuff. In the old store you just chose what you wanted and chose purchase and confirmed. Feels like you need to go with more useless options here.