Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Would you be willing to boycott DLC ?

This is a discussion on Would you be willing to boycott DLC ? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Nope. I like DLC as long as it adds to game. But, if people wanna buy 100s of different costumes ...

Legalize it...

Nope. I like DLC as long as it adds to game. But, if people wanna buy 100s of different costumes for their Sack Person in LBP then who cares? Its not your money. Id boycott going to digital DLs only though...

Lvl 7 - Gold

I thought I was boycotting it buy not buying any?
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    lol Exactly, which is actually one of my problems: no price drops. They are almost always the same. I picked up Brutal Legend for $5 used, and the DLC costs about the same price! Bought Borderlands for $10, DLC costs $30. lol
    Bahahahahaha. I did the exact same thing with BL recently! The DLC cost more than the game

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    I have not like the idea of DLC from day one since I will spend $60 on a brand new game only to have it cost me more?

IF though, I pick the game up at a later date at a cheap price, I'll usually pick up the DLC for a game. However, it's getting to the point where just the mention of DLC will put me off from a game in general which usually is against my gaming philosophy, but I am not giving more of my hard earned cash for 2-4 hours worth of garbage just for some damn trophies!
    Yeah , thats kind of what I hate by looking at someone's trophy list who is going for the 100% platinum list then they are forced into buying and completing loads of DLC whether its good or not , I tried a few times to get the % up on a few games I liked e.g New Vegas and it was mind numbing cause the DLC was shit . I have only ever bought the Fallout 3 stuff and a weapons pack for both Dead Space games .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

Games should only be released when the people who are making it feel it's the Complete Edition. Complete Editions of games should be the only edition

But, there are also amazing DLCs at a very reasonable price that you can release after the game, like Read Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare, wich I belive it's the best DLC ever

Lvl 6 - Silver

Didn't read all the responses but assume I'm with most people in that I very, VERY rarely buy DLC As far as I'm aware, the only DLC I have bought is the:
    Uncharted 2 Multiplayer stuff *WHICH THEN BECAME FREE A FEW WEEKS LATER!!! :marccap:*,
    The extra costumes for Alice: Madness Returns cause it was cheap and the game was hard without it,
    and a couple from LBP.
    I think it's disgusting that companies can get away with selling content that should have been included in the game in the first place at an extra cost after having paid 40+ for a game that lasts 6 hours. And companies like Capcom who can repeatedly get away with charging you for stuff that is ON the disc is beyond ridiculous. Ever since people got this generation and have their consoles connected to the internet, publishers and producers have been using that to screw over their customers. Before this generation, games had to be fucking completed before they were released, nowadays, they can be half assed, buggy, and with all the content that was originally planned for the game added at a later date for extra money. They can then get away with releasing the damn game AGAIN with all the added content at a cheaper price than originally, screwing the customers who bought it originally and purchased the DLC. The whole business model is fucking crazy. I understand companies are there to make money, but I can't agree with paid DLC. DLC should be an extra thanks for purchasing the game.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

PRO Member

If it extends my actual playtime then I will consider buying dlc. The Missing Link dlc for Deus Ex was well worth the money IMHO.

If it's just unlocking some cosmetic crap, the infamous horse armour for example, then no, not interested.

And if anyone says there are no horses in infamous, you're getting slapped!

Up the Irons!

Well, I already boycott DLC, in a way, by not buying it. Off-the-top-of-my-head, I can only think of two games I've bought DLC for: Killzone 2 and Killzone 3. I made the exception for them because I love the Killzone series.

Toggle Spoiler

"Nobody wants him, He just stares at the world,
    Planning his vengeance, That he will soon unfurl"
    - Iron Man by Black Sabbath

"You tell me what is honesty,
    When all around is death and cruelty"
    - Mother of Mercy by Iron Maiden

Lvl 4 - Silver

Yes I would....

Lvl 9 - Gold

I have never bought any DLC (Complete or GOTY Editions don't count as the price is low and are included with the main game) for any game except the Undead Nightmare pack for RDR, but that almost counts as another game, and IT WASN'T DAY ONE.
    I'm not agains proper DLC like Borderlands DLC or GTA/RDR DLC, but I am very much against pre-order bonuses and Day 1 DLC.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

If a game throws 30 to 50 hours of legitimate funtime at you from the start then i have absolutely no complaint if they want to try and prise a few more coppers out of you down the line with some add ons or expansions.
    It's a choice then but not when your game ships with a 6 hour campaign and a half arsed multiplayer you know will be dead before the winter rolls round again, that is when it is deemed a chop to the crotch of gamers for the DLC to arrive with an extra 3 hours not coded in time for release at the low low price of a quarter of the cost of the original game.

I will gladly pay for things that in fairness could have bloated my initial workload on a game ( Borderlands, Oblivion ). Opening up new areas on an already huge map is hardly a con, charging a few quid for costume changes is.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I never get DLC unless it's free. If it's story based then I will definitely get it because it extends the main game (or fills in gaps) but I would never spend money on skins, weapons packs, or map packs, etc.

NSFW

No.

Red Dead Redemption
    Fallout 3
    Borderlands
    LittleBigPlanet 1 + 2

Is a few examples of DLC done right. DLC that adds or lengthen the gameplay experience without actually including vital story plot points (unlike ME3 (or so I've heard)). DLC isn't a bad thing. It gives us more out of the worlds we've begun to love. It isn't the DLC concept it's those assholes who exploit it. When a developer is giving out disclocked content or shits out an overpriced and underwhelming DLC that we have to worry, and I don't think giving a few skins or weapon mods to those who pre-order a game is exploiting (which was been a huge debate once).

Sig made by Beam. Platbar by Thunder.

Sig made by Beam.
    Platbar made by Thunder.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by gyrocop View Post

(...)DLC that adds or lengthen the gameplay experience without actually including vital story plot points (unlike ME3 (or so I've heard)). DLC isn't a bad thing.
    Then you don't wanna get Asura's Wrath, the real ending is a DLC...

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 6 - Silver

Treat DLC the way you would any other product you might think about buying -- purchase it only if you think you are receiving fair value (or better) for the money you're putting in. There's no reason to make a declaration along the lines of "I'll never, ever, EVER buy DLC". Making such dramatic and ironclad statements only serves to box oneself into a corner for no particular reason.

No need for boycotts. Substitute common sense instead.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

Cipher sent us to hell

It all depends on the type of DLC it is. As it's been mentioned several times in this topic, a few companies put out some (usually) stellar DLC. These companies include (but are not limited to) Gearbox, Rockstar, Valve (HL2 Eps), CD Project RED.

On the other side of the coin, you have companies like Capcom who puts out the Versus DLC in RE5. I don't like the idea of buying DLC that is quickly hashed out and adds almost nothing to the game. The only reason I have the Versus DLC now (which I still haven't played) is that I gave my original copy of RE5 to a relative and purchased the Gold Edition for myself as a replacement. I am all for DLC that extends or adds to a game's campaign/single player mode. I will purchase campaign co-op DLC if my usual co-op partners are interested in getting it as well.
    PS3/Vita/PS4: x13ucketHeaDx | X360: x13ucketHeaDx | Steam: x13ucketHeaDx

"Kaz... I'm already a demon."

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by njdevil View Post
    Treat DLC the way you would any other product you might think about buying -- purchase it only if you think you are receiving fair value (or better) for the money you're putting in. There's no reason to make a declaration along the lines of "I'll never, ever, EVER buy DLC". Making such dramatic and ironclad statements only serves to box oneself into a corner for no particular reason.

No need for boycotts. Substitute common sense instead.
    I do buy it occasionally , it just seems there is just more and more effort going into DLC and leaving you with a poorer core game .

Synthwave <3

No, I enjoy buying dlc if it's worthwhile. What I would like to boycott is online passes.

Sig by PixieofDarkness
    Platbar by djunglist

My trophy checklist

Latest :

The Last of Us

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by bnecker717 View Post
    No, I enjoy buying dlc if it's worthwhile. What I would like to boycott is online passes.
    Yeah I'll drink to that

Change is mediocre

I only buy DLC if it's around $2, otherwise I don't usually bother (except some COD maps back when I actually liked playing them).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast