Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Would you be willing to boycott DLC ?

This is a discussion on Would you be willing to boycott DLC ? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I love getting story based dlc like Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare. I won't buy any dlc such as weapons, ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

I love getting story based dlc like Red Dead Redemption's Undead Nightmare. I won't buy any dlc such as weapons, maps, costumes or skins. I think that sort of dlc should have been included in the game to begin with and is a waste of money. I've only bought costumes and weapons for Final Fantasy 13-2 as I am a huge fan of the series and I want to get absolutely everything. Some dlc is acceptable whilst others is not.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    I do buy it occasionally , it just seems there is just more and more effort going into DLC and leaving you with a poorer core game .
    As someone who has been gaming since the dark, distant, slightly damp (early) 1980s, I happen to agree with this statement. I'd suggest not buying those diminishing core games if your objections are that strong, but I doubt there'd ever be enough of a boycott to make companies change their mind.

Like it or not, the industry is changing. The new paradigm seems to be the release of a "stripped down" game for mass consumption combined with the nickel-and-diming of customers for the rest of the experience. I'm sure gaming companies would defend such a practice (if pressed) by saying they're offering a "great bargain" to consumers by not charging them full freight for all the bells-and-whistles at once, but it isn't like the cost of games has come down a spectacular amount even when adjusted for inflation.
    (this space intentionally left blank)

PRO Member

To add to my earlier comment...I won't boycott it, I just don't like the idea of it for the most part.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by zz383 View Post
    I thought I was boycotting it buy not buying any?
    Same here!

PRO Member

99% of the time I wont buy DLC, I also rarely buy any of the big name games, CoD, AC, Fifa ect which seems to drain every coin out of our wallets.

If we the small community of ps3trophies boycott all DLC we probably wont see any change in the long run especially when you go up against the hoards of as an example the CoD fanboys who buy this very weak DLC at a drop of a hat every single time we wont make much of a difference.

Now a full blown expansion like the good old days and yes I'd buy it at a good price if it looks good.

PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!

I boycott DLC all the time, I've only bought a few additions of DLC once & that was for a game I absolutely loved / love. (Bad Company 2). I had to get the VIP maps since I got the game used. >_> other than that, I rarely get DLC unless it's a steal price. I bought blood animations for Shogun II for 99 cents.......

Signature by DaRe_xLw

Lvl 6 - Silver

i'm in 2 minds about the whole thing, i like buying DLC but some of it you shouldn't have to pay for they should of been in the game to begin with, like the extra creation items on Soul Calibur 5.

#cutformesa

It depends on the DLC. I'll absolutely refuse to buy a $15 map pack for a CoD game, regardless of zombies/trophies/achievements, but for $15 if I get another 6-10 hours of singleplayer content then I'll absolutely buy it. Some stories/ideas/content just doesn't fit neatly into a retail game, and it makes sense to add it later on.

Basically, if it's a reasonable price for good content, I'd buy it the same as I would a 'full' retail or downloadable game because just like any other entertainment purchase, it comes down to a question of perceived entertainment value versus actual cost. Content is content; there is no intrinsic difference between regular development and DLC development, so I'm never going to boycott DLC on principle. I'm not going to pay for something that's overpriced, and I'm not going to buy DLC just because it's there for a game I happen to have. If it looks interesting and seems worth it, then I see the decision process as being no different than purchasing a movie, book, or CD. Or really any purchase at all.

Current Playthrough Counts:
    Mass Effect: 25 || Mass Effect 2: 44
    Mass Effect 3: 15
    Add me for ME3 multiplayer shenanigans.
    First legit Mass Effect 3 100% on PS3T.

SERBIA STRONG

Thanks to Luckay for the ETGWG bar and avy, and Qurb for the sig!

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by Curb View Post
    It depends on the DLC. I'll absolutely refuse to buy a $15 map pack for a CoD game, regardless of zombies/trophies/achievements, but for $15 if I get another 6-10 hours of singleplayer content then I'll absolutely buy it. Some stories/ideas/content just doesn't fit neatly into a retail game, and it makes sense to add it later on.

Basically, if it's a reasonable price for good content, I'd buy it the same as I would a 'full' retail or downloadable game. I'm not going to do something like the aforementioned CoD maps though, which I see as the equivalent of buying the four-hour Force Unleashed II at full MSRP. Do I want the content? Sure. But PSN and XBLA have plenty of sales, and most of that stuff gets cut in half eventually.
    I agree with this.

And if I liked the game a lot and it has decently priced DLC then I most likely will buy it. Like if Dishonored gets DLC for extra missions for about $5-$10, I'll be all over it.

Crocodile Hunter

I would on the price of the DLC but not the DLC its self, i love the add on missions,maps etc

Sig by Apokolypz

PRO Member

I'm pretty happy with DLCs and the cost. DLC list - BioShock, Brutal Legend, Dante's Inferno, Fallout3...all fun games and the cost for each DLC was reasonable.

I also like the fact that there are additional trophies associated with the DLC. I don't appreciate a game that needs DLCs to achieve platinum, that ain't right.

Even still, I don't think I would ever boycott DLCs.

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Whether or not I'll by DLC depends on how much bang I'm actually going to get for my buck. If i already love a game, then more is always better in a lot of cases. But I think some companies work on dlc so soon before release because they might feel pressured to do so, aside from loving extra money. If you had dlc in last years version of a game, you're gonna have to include some in the next on at some point.

I'm not against it, but I do agree a lot of it is overpriced and never gets a price drop.

Regional Manager of War

I simply either buy it or don't. Most of the time I still own the game but I fell the DLC isn't worth the price tag so I ignore, even if it adds 50 new all MP trophies(like UC3) I see no reason in buying it unless I want to replay that game again

Lvl 5 - Silver

I personally dont care either way :/

Maybe its apathetic of me to state it as such but its the way it is. As many have stated some DLC is well worth the price while others are lacking but the perception of something not being worth the money is all perspective. You might not care about skins or a weapon pack but obiviously someone is buying these things and are excited about them.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123