Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

YLOD Help

This is a discussion on YLOD Help within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s It depends on the repair job and whether they perform a reball or a reflow (more ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    It depends on the repair job and whether they perform a reball or a reflow (more info - PS3 Reballing Service, PS3 Reball, Permanent PS3 YLOD Repair). It looks like 6 months for a reball, 30 days for a reflow. Some people here have used something as basic as a hairdryer and got a couple more years out of it. Others, a couple of hours.

A YLoD repair is not necessarily going to solve the core problem which is the heating cycle in the Fats expanding and contracting the solder, leading to issues with cracks. We need to accept that sooner or later our Fats, particularly launch 60's, are going to die. Plan for it and backup your saves.

What I would do is get it repaired, retrieve the saves, sell the Fat and buy a Slim. They last significantly longer with less overheating issues. The main reason Slims don't suffer the same YLoD fail rate as Fats is because Sony changed the solder compound.
    Also, without the bc chip, there is less heat load.

PRO Member

Sorry to hear that, I had the YLOD just over 4 months ago. I tried fixing it myself watching a YouTube video, but it still didn't work and to top it off I had a copy of Fallout 3 left in the machine.

I know with the PS3 slim you can do some failsafe which will eject the disc (and burnout the machine in the process) but I had the original fatboy, so no such luck.

I ended up giving Sony a call and they directed me on what to do. Sony will actually send you the box and packaging for you to send it back. They'll fix the machine (and take the disc out).

Unfortunately I did lose all my save game data, but trophies remained. The total bill was around $400 CDN. It was worth it though, I love my PS3.

Also, Sony advised that any skins on the machine be removed prior to shipping, if not they will remove it and disgard them.

Again, sorry to hear about your loss.

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

This exact same thing happened to me a year or two ago. I got VERY, VERY lucky to backup most or all of my saves before it totally shit the bed, but once it did it was a brick / doorstop / paperweight / whatever, despite my best attempts to repair or take to a local computer repair center. Honestly, as much as I hate to say it, you're likely fucked, mate. I wish I had better news for you, but any of the 'fixes' out there are temporary at best. Start saving your ca$h for a new PS3.

And BTW, both of my PS3's were slims. It happens more often to the 'fats' but it still happens to the 'slims' too.

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Thanks to everyone for their help, advise and input. I found somewhere to temporarily fix it and I bought myself a new slim 500gb model so I'll hopefully transfer my game saves over and continue on the new model. Let's hope that lasts as long as my last haha. Thanks again though

Change is mediocre

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Don't take it to Sony, they wipe the drive as part of the process, killing your saves.

There are self-help tutorials on YouTube. Fix it, get your saves, then sell that bitch.
    Basically this.

I've had YLOD 3 times, and the last time I did the hairdryer trick to get my saves, then moved them to my new PS3. My YLOD PS3 still works after a year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12