Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

YLOD Help

This is a discussion on YLOD Help within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My ps3 has just got the 'yellow light of death'. It switches on for 1-2 seconds before cutting out.Is there ...

Lvl 2 - Bronze

YLOD Help

My ps3 has just got the 'yellow light of death'.

It switches on for 1-2 seconds before cutting out.Is there anything I can do to save my game saves? Also has anyone else had this recently? Any recommendations on where is a suitable place to get this fixed and a ball park price for repair? I've read from a variety of sources that Sony can fix it but it costs upwards of 150. Anyone with more info?

Thanks in advance

illegal in 9 countries

Don't take it to Sony, they wipe the drive as part of the process, killing your saves.

There are self-help tutorials on YouTube. Fix it, get your saves, then sell that bitch.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Ahh yeah I'm in the middle of a few games so would really appreciate keeping my game saves. I've seen a few videos on YouTube but to be honest I doubt myself I'd be able to diy. I've googled local businesses to me and found one saying they can repair it, clean the components, apply new compound for 50. Any idea if I went ahead with that if my game saves would continue from where I left off?
    Thanks

Deathless Destroyer

It is possible to fix your PS3 without sending it to Sony for a fee of over $100. When you have a YLOD, it is caused by a faulty power supply, hard-drive, CPU or motherboard. Replacing the CPU/Motherboard usually fixes it, though in rare cases it is your Hard Drive/Power Supply in the PS3.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I know I had to replace the hdd before. I turned it on one day and all that came up was a grey cloud type screen but after replacing the hdd it was fine. I suppose it has done me well. It's the big fat version and I got it new when it first came out so it's a good few years old and has lasted thus far with no problems. Couldn't have come at a worse time too, I just bought myself a few new games today and haven't had the chance to play them yet

Deathless Destroyer

My original 60 GB PS3 had the YLOD a couple of months ago as well after almost 6 years. Eventually going to send it to someone I know who can fix it for a cheap price. It was likely the CPU/Motherboard, as placing the Hard-Drive from my 120GB Slim model in it didn't fix the problem, and it isn't a faulty power supply, as it goes to green normally before going to Yellow - Green - Flashing Red.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'm surprised mine has lasted so long. My friend got his at the same time and he has gone through 3 all suffering ylod before getting his xbox. I'll phone around and get a few prices for repairing it as I'd rather keep it than fork out on a new console. I'm a poor student haha. My Ps3 goes from red - green - yellow - flashing red with beeping noises. There wasn't any noise beforehand either. Everything was fine and then in the middle of the game the console beeped and switched off

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by HamishT12 View Post
    I'm surprised mine has lasted so long. My friend got his at the same time and he has gone through 3 all suffering ylod before getting his xbox. I'll phone around and get a few prices for repairing it as I'd rather keep it than fork out on a new console. I'm a poor student haha. My Ps3 goes from red - green - yellow - flashing red with beeping noises. There wasn't any noise beforehand either. Everything was fine and then in the middle of the game the console beeped and switched off
    Did your PS3 show any signs of internal failure shortly before the initial YLOD, for example - Game crashing, immediate shutdowns, freezing etc? My PS3 shutdown three times in a period of 10 minutes before getting the YLOD, and it wasn't on for almost 1 month - it happened the day I started it up again.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

Nope nothing out the ordinary. I was in the middle of playing Uncharted Drakes Fortune and everything was fine and then it beeped and went off. I was pretty confused as to why thinking maybe I accidentally pressed something but when I turned it back on it did the changing colours before beeping and turning itself off. My game is still inside the machine and I can't get the disk out either. Any suggestions how to get it out? There isn't enough time to eject it before it turns off

Deathless Destroyer

What I did to get my disc out was rip apart the Blue-Ray drive's case. with some tools. The disc innocently fell out and rolled on the table. You could try pulling it out with pliers, but in rare cases it can chip the disc which may cause the disc to be unable to read.

If you have any models other than the 60GB model, you could try a Fan Test, which turns on the PS3 for around 20 seconds, during which you may be able to eject the disc. Simply pull out the power cable, hold eject and place back power cable while still holding eject.

EDIT: Apart from that, there is no other way to remove the blueray disc stuck inside.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I'll try getting to the Blue-Ray drive and see if I can get the disk out but if not, will it cause any harm or damage if it's left in while getting repaired? I know it's not advised to do so but it saves ruining a game if it can be left in

Forget I Was Ever Here

Check out Amazon.com type yellow light of death in the search engine… maybe that'll help you, they have a free book on how to fix it if you are a prime member…..

Here is the link also

It is time for me to go underground

Deathless Destroyer

I'll try getting to the Blue-Ray drive and see if I can get the disk out but if not, will it cause any harm or damage if it's left in while getting repaired? I know it's not advised to do so but it saves ruining a game if it can be left in
    If you send the PS3 to Sony explaining that you have a disc stuck inside, you will have the disc returned inside a case 99.9% of the time in the same condition it was in. To get to the Blue-Ray drive yourself, you will need a Philip-head screwdriver, and will take around 5-30 mins.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I've just YouTubed how to access the blue ray drive and I honestly think I'd do more damage than good by attempting a self fix.

Thanks for the info and link Yoo_Hoo_Sniper, I've seen a few repair kits on Ebay pretty cheap but it's the actual repairing I think I'd struggle with

Deathless Destroyer

Just use what you know about getting to the Blue-Ray drive to get there and then rip apart the metal cover/casing, then rip apart holding the top and disc area together. Then rip that remaining part in half and the disc will fall out. Blue-Ray drives cost up to $30-$40 to replace, dependant on where you live, and are very easy to install.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Same thing happened to me last year. I found a video on youtube by the user 'gilksy' who shows you exactly how to fix it but in most if not all cases its only temporary. I did mine and it lasted 3 months before dying again, so I fixed it again and got the game saves off and just bought a new ps3 for 160 and copied over the game saves and sold the broken one on ebay (as broken of course).

illegal in 9 countries

Ahh yeah I'm in the middle of a few games so would really appreciate keeping my game saves. I've seen a few videos on YouTube but to be honest I doubt myself I'd be able to diy. I've googled local businesses to me and found one saying they can repair it, clean the components, apply new compound for 50. Any idea if I went ahead with that if my game saves would continue from where I left off?
    Thanks
    In most cases YLoD is caused by cracks forming in the solder between components, not CPU/Mobo/PSU failure. The new compound the repairer is talking about is to fix the cracked solder.

50 is a good deal. And yes, your HDD contents will be restored in full.

Don't touch the BR drive, they'll remove the disc for you. There's no need to risk destroying your system components and forking out more dough for repairs.

Deathless Destroyer

How long would replacing the lead solder last?

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    How long would replacing the lead solder last?
    It depends on the repair job and whether they perform a reball or a reflow (more info - PS3 Reballing Service, PS3 Reball, Permanent PS3 YLOD Repair). It looks like 6 months for a reball, 30 days for a reflow. Some people here have used something as basic as a hairdryer and got a couple more years out of it. Others, a couple of hours.

A YLoD repair is not necessarily going to solve the core problem which is the heating cycle in the Fats expanding and contracting the solder, leading to issues with cracks. We need to accept that sooner or later our Fats, particularly launch 60's, are going to die. Plan for it and backup your saves.

What I would do is get it repaired, retrieve the saves, sell the Fat and buy a Slim. They last significantly longer with less overheating issues. The main reason Slims don't suffer the same YLoD fail rate as Fats is because Sony changed the solder compound.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

I fixed my 80gb unit 3 times and it lasted 6 more months the first time, 3 months the second, and since I have bought a new one and repaired the old. The problem is the heat dissipation cracking the solder. Don't overlook good thermal contact when reassembling the unit. I actually used thermal transfer pads the last time; little sticky pads that do the job of the thermal past without bubbling. Reflowing the solder yourself with a heat gun isn't hard and it doesn't take an electronics guru. Also, if you need to get a disc out of the blu-ray drive, that too isn't hard. Just take it apart carefully and reverse steps appropriately. I had to do this after break 2 to reclaim Fallout New Vegas (and to this day I'm not sure it was worth the effort...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast