The Playstation 3 'Fan Test' Feature isn't Dangerous

This is a discussion on The Playstation 3 'Fan Test' Feature isn't Dangerous within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; What the community has called the 'fan test' - this is simply a setting which overrides the basic software which ...

Deathless Destroyer

The Playstation 3 'Fan Test' Feature isn't Dangerous

What the community has called the 'fan test' - this is simply a setting which overrides the basic software which controls how fast the fans run based on temperature of the components in the system. It does not cause the components to overheat at all, it just makes the fans run at 100% speed. it is harmless if the setting is used occasionally, though extensive use can damage the fan motor which will cause the fans to screw up (why do that?)

It was originally designed into the 20/40GB models as a way of testing whether the fans were working during manufacturing. It was not a feature in the 60GB models, but is present in all other models (not sure about the slimmer version). What the fan test does is run the fans at 100%, but doesn't boot up the OS. It does turn on a few other components like the blue ray (hence why you can eject discs), but nothing else. Hope this information is helpful.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Saints Row IV

Didn't know this existed! Is it available for fat 80GB Models?
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat

Click on my Signature to check my website

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by brAvEhEaRtDC View Post
    Didn't know this existed! Is it available for fat 80GB Models?
    I think so, the only model it isn't available to is the 60GB models, and possibly the new ps3 which came out recently.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Lvl 8 - Gold

i wouldnt do this,if it was a safe way to clean your ps3 it would be in your owners manual.

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by bobbyblitzed View Post
    i wouldnt do this,if it was a safe way to clean your ps3 it would be in your owners manual.
    They didn't add it in the manual because it was originally only for development usage.