Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

PSN Friend Messaging Me About Suicide

This is a discussion on PSN Friend Messaging Me About Suicide within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; My PSN friend has told me since day one about his tough life. Hes said his dad left him and ...

Lvl 1 - Bronze

PSN Friend Messaging Me About Suicide

My PSN friend has told me since day one about his tough life. Hes said his dad left him and his mom, and all he left behind is 98 cents. Hes told me he cuts and frequently thinks about ending his life. He says I'm his only friend and his best friend. We don't know each other in real life though. I just got off my Playstation, and before hand, he told me he got kicked out of his clan and he had been in tears for 3 hours. He kept repeating that he was worthless to the world and that he was just a nobody. He invited me to a video chat, and told me how he could just slit his neck and end it all right there. I kept responding, telling him not to do anything to hurt himself, and that a permanent solution to a temporary problem is NEVER the answer. Then after 20 minutes or so I told him I had to go to sleep for school the next day. What should I do about this? I truly believe he will take his life, and one day he will sign off... forever. Any help will be greatly appreciated, and sadly no, THIS IS NOT A JOKE.

Roo Commander

There's really nothing you can do especially since you don't know him in real life.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I know, I just wish I could.

illegal in 9 countries

Try to convince him to seek professional help. That's it, bottom line.

You can't do anything over the PSN and all he's doing is using you as an emotional crutch. People who are seriously considering suicide don't tell anyone, they just do it. What he's doing is a cry for help, but it's not the kind of help you can offer, nor should it be your responsibility to solve his problems.

I've had to deal with a suicidal mother for a decade now, she's just gone back to hospital again over the weekend after multiple recent overdose attempts and she'll be locked away in a mental health ward for the next few months.

Those who suffer from mental illness become an anchor around your neck and it drags you down. I found myself in a deep depression for 2 or 3 years just trying to cope with my mother's problems and it was ruining my life. I've only just got a handle on that this year.

My solution was to free myself from the shackles she placed upon me so I could get my own life back in order. I have a wife, a business, a mortgage, two kids and a third on the way. My mother's situation put that all at risk and I could easily have lost the lot had I continued to support her instead of putting myself first. She could die at any time and I've accepted that. I'm not going to bear the guilt for prioritising my family ahead of her.

What I would do is research the local mental healthcare line in his location and give it to him to follow up. People with mental illness either refuse to acknowledge the problem, don't know where to start or refuse to seek help. Give him the solution which is a phone number, nothing else. It's his choice whether to accept it or not, you can't make that choice for him.

DO NOT let it become your responsibility, it'll only fuck you up. It doesn't matter how hard you try, you can't help someone who won't help themselves.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Resident PHD

I think first and foremost, you need to understand that if this guy does anything it is not your fault. You cannot save this individual no matter how hard you try (the choice he makes in ending his life is his and his alone)

Alright moving on. He needs help, and unfortunately seeing as you don't know his name or where he lives makes it kind of tough. Be there for him but also encourage him to seek help. There are a lot of free help lines out there that have professionals that deal with this sort of thing. I hate to say it but he is using you because he feels safe talking to you (opening up to someone in person is a lot harder than opening up online).

Maybe before suggesting help, call someone yourself and get their professional opinion on how you should handle this. They are much better equipped to help you than a bunch of people on a forum boards (even though I am a doctor )

Good luck.

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Thanks for the advice man.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yea . I was debating whether I should post it here or not, but I couldn't really think of anywhere else.

Lvl 6 - Silver

Not to be a douche but First of all i can see he is seeking attention so all he can do is try n fight himself out of this situation

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Yes that's what I was thinking, but I still kind of feel bad.

Eat My PewPew Lasers! >.<

How old is he?
    As mentioned above, don't want to be a douche, but maybe he just needs attention and needs to realize that.

Hell, pretty sure we all had suicidal thoughts, but something always convinces us not to do it.
    Life is a hell of a ride, why end it yourself?
    It's just a flesh wound.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by FancyJesse View Post
    How old is he?
    As mentioned above, don't want to be a douche, but maybe he just needs attention and needs to realize that.

Hell, pretty sure we all had suicidal thoughts, but something always convinces us not to do it.
    Life is a hell of a ride, why end it yourself?
    He's only 12, so he's very young.

Change is good

Quote Originally Posted by LogLog1919 View Post
    Man even I was depressed at 12, since then I've grown out of it (for the most part).

But as mentioned above, tell him to get professional help and hopefully he does.

Kid, not loser

12!?! You need to tell him to talk with his parents. Really, all you can do for him is to tell him that he NEEDS to talk to them, not you. You can be a friend and play some games with him but that's it man. You shouldn't try to get involved as much either.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

illegal in 9 countries

Find out if there's a Kids Help Line in your / his local area. We have that in Australia. Give them a call and ask them what to do.

Or ask him to talk to his parents and tell them how he's feeling. They'll either be responsible for it, or have absolutely no idea what's going on. Again...the Kids Help Line is the best first option.

Otherwise, find a free public health system support line, a depression help line or website (we have beyondblue: the national depression initiative in Oz) or someone like The Salvation Army.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Lvl 1 - Bronze

How old is he? Do you 2 play and chat often? Death is something just about every person will think about. In this case though, it seems he is clinically depressed and self-harming. He's reaching out right now, which is actually a good thing, because he could have just made his choice already.

I don't buy that your this person's only friend. If he's in school, working, whatever, he knows people and he needs to reach out and spend time with someone he can speak to, not write to. There's not much you can do on your end expect send him words of encouragement and let him know life is NOT easy. But it's still worth living. Very much so. Find out a little more about him if you can and what else he likes besides games.

I wish I could recommend him a book I read last year a friend gave to me and it's an amazing book. It's called Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (a concentration camp survivor). It really opened my eyes to how to look at life and how suffering is simply a part of it, but the fact is, under any circumstances, no one can change how you feel or your attitude towards any situation. I mean the stuff this man had to go through in the Holocaust and his methods of finding purpose and fulfillment were surreal. And although I can't relate to shedding tears about being kicked out of a clan online so I won't knock on him for taking it too seriously, but a quote from the book says “But there was no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bore witness that a man had the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer.”

My thoughts on blank requests, they're like "...flyers. When someone tries to hand me out a flyer it's kind of like just saying, Here, you throw this away." - Mitch Hedberg

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    12!?! You need to tell him to talk with his parents. Really, all you can do for him is to tell him that he NEEDS to talk to them, not you. You can be a friend and play some games with him but that's it man. You shouldn't try to get involved as much either.
    His Dad left him with nothing, and he hates his Mother.

Deathless Destroyer

Don't worry, he's young and he'll get over it. Besides if he was considering suicide, he'd likely not tell anyone (usually).

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Quote Originally Posted by JaDversary View Post
    How old is he? Do you 2 play and chat often? Death is something just about every person will think about. In this case though, it seems he is clinically depressed and self-harming. He's reaching out right now, which is actually a good thing, because he could have just made his choice already.

I don't buy that your this person's only friend. If he's in school, working, whatever, he knows people and he needs to reach out and spend time with someone he can speak to, not write to. There's not much you can do on your end expect send him words of encouragement and let him know life is NOT easy. But it's still worth living. Very much so. Find out a little more about him if you can and what else he likes besides games.

I wish I could recommend him a book I read last year a friend gave to me and it's an amazing book. It's called Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl (a concentration camp survivor). It really opened my eyes to how to look at life and how suffering is simply a part of it, but the fact is, under any circumstances, no one can change how you feel or your attitude towards any situation. I mean the stuff this man had to go through in the Holocaust and his methods of finding purpose and fulfillment were surreal. And although I can't relate to shedding tears about being kicked out of a clan online so I won't knock on him for taking it too seriously, but a quote from the book says “But there was no need to be ashamed of tears, for tears bore witness that a man had the greatest of courage, the courage to suffer.”
    He is 12 years old, so it's probably just a phase, but I'm not sure. We play together often.

Kid, not loser

His Dad left him with nothing, and he hates his Mother.
    Even still, suicide is a serious matter. Getting with an adult is the best option for him. A school teacher is even great.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I explained how old he was, and how he doesn't really talk to his Mom. His Dad left him and his mom. Read the thread before asking already answered questions.
    Haha, sorry. I was typing for a few minutes actually when there was only 1 reply posted and this thread blew up in that time that I put my post up

12 is younnnng. Wow. And he's cutting himself already? That's bad and like others have said, I'd try to forward some information to him.

My thoughts on blank requests, they're like "...flyers. When someone tries to hand me out a flyer it's kind of like just saying, Here, you throw this away." - Mitch Hedberg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast