Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Do you think the most Platinum Trophies = The best gamers ?

This is a discussion on Do you think the most Platinum Trophies = The best gamers ? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Like the title says how would you define the most elite gamers , by amount of Platinum's , the choice ...

Rangers F.C

Do you think the most Platinum Trophies = The best gamers ?

Like the title says how would you define the most elite gamers , by amount of Platinum's , the choice of game , the difficulty they play at , there current level in a game , or there ability to finish games quickly ?
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Game on....

Usually a refined collection of plats that are difficult to achieve gets my utmost respect.

Forget I Was Ever Here

The choice of the game, between difficulty and time length never by their platinum amount of trophy level

It is time for me to go underground

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I would define the most elite gamers based on the difficulty they play at and choice of game. Number of trophies and platinums mean nothing really, as some games are easier to platinum than others are to get a single silver. Even the best player in the world aint gonna get many trophies if they only have a few hours spare to play games per week. Sure having lots of trophies looks nice but for me its what games did that player get their plats in based on difficulty. The best thing to do is to look at the percentage of people that have platinum'd a game you are playing. Take my plats for example: Uncharted 2 is no biggie, 48% of people have done this compared to probably my best plat Vanquish, only 9% have this one.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Yoo_Hoo_Sniper View Post
    The choice of the game, between difficulty and time length never by their platinum amount of trophy level
    Yes that sounds about right , I don't have many platinum trophies but I am considered by most gamers in the UK as the best gamer in our Islands long and glorious history
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

PRO Member

No. People could play all the difficult games ever, but maybe it took them a long time to get it. Or maybe they just put it off for a while and didn't feel like playing the game at the time. I don't believe in respecting a person on their trophies, rather their personality.

I earn these things because it's fun for ME.

Sure, it's nice when someone congratulates you though, but I don't think that because you have these s and not those, you're a better gamer.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

PRO Member

Definately choice of game, all other considerations are just secondary.

I'm deviating a little...but I respect gamers when they are a little more humble to others that may not have as many platinums than they themselves have.

A refined gamer, in my opinion, is someone who understands how difficult and frustrating certain games are and respects others who have put in the time to achieve certain trophies, not just plats.

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

worlds biggest welch fan

It matters what plats you have in the collection.

Also 100 % psn games can be tougher.

Cant wait to be welch's biggest fan 6 more items to create

I AGREE USER011010

A refined gamer, in my opinion, is someone who understands how difficult and frustrating certain games are and respects others who have put in the time to achieve certain trophies, not just plats.
    Last edited by nevetsteven2; 10-23-2012 at 12:41 PM.
    Sig By Me

Mirrors Edge Platinum

PRO Member

No. I think the number of platinum trophies are almost entirely based on time allotted. Are there any games nowadays that some people just cannot plat because they don't have enough skill? I would say no, especially with all the guides and boosting options available now. Sure, someone could spend 10 hours grinding a trophy where it takes another player 20 minutes, but unless you have two people playing the same games while dedicating the same # of hours per day, it is impossible to tell who is better.

That being said, I would respect a gamer more if they consistently picked difficult games, or if they were a source of knowledge and had written a number of guides from scratch.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

Trophy Checklist

Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

Lvl 5 - Silver

I wouldn't say trophies have anything to do with being the best/good gamer. Trophies can be aquired by most people on any given day if they take the time to do them. While some trophies are more skill based most if not all are just trial and error or rinse and repeat affairs. The best gamers i'd say are ones who can consistently be in the top 20 on leaderboards because other then skill (and a little luck) is the reason they got there.

PRO Member

I agree with most here. The difficulty of the plats and not the amount of plats is what I tend to look at. Personally I have a mix of easy moderate and difficult. Personally I prefer moderate over all.

I have said befor though I do this for my self and If someone thinks I have done good or whatever that is good. I do post in my checklist and enjoy the congrats but in the end it is for me.

Sig and Avatar by Jondeere

Negator

I judge top 'trophy hunters' on whether or not they have other people play on their account.

Personally, a level 17 who does his own work is better than a level 25 who allows other people to collect on his account. Either way, trophies, game difficulties, PSN levels, nor amount of platinums really matters. Collect trophies for yourself, not other people, not for fame or recognition and certainly not for leaderboards and e-peen.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Beast Incarnate

I would describe an elite gamer as someone who has very difficult platinums. I have quite a few plats, but am definitely not an elite gamer. I play for fun, because I enjoy playing.

Lvl 2 - Bronze

The trophies dont have anything to do with being the best player. Most people dont give a shit about trophies and are very good.
    On the trophy perspective, the player who aims for the hard ones is the elite of course.

Lvl 6 - Silver

It's pretty simple, really. You know those guys who compete in professional videogame tournaments for large sums of cash? THOSE are your 'elite' players. The rest of us, as good as some of us may be, are just your average gamer. The only way you could possibly use the word 'elite' to describe a gamer, in conjunction with trophies would be something relating to how many TRULY difficult plats they have (IE, Lost Planet 2, Vanquish, and the like).

"Stay Positive & Love Your Life"
    - 311 -

PRO Member

Trophies have nothing to do with the best gamers . What makes you one of the best is to compete as a pro with the best and prove youself . No matter how difficult your plats are. This is not to say the best players dont have alot of plats because There are alot of impressive gamers on this site. You still have to prove how good you are in some friendly competition to be called one of the best gamers.
    Last edited by Tmac718; 10-23-2012 at 05:17 PM.

Sic Vis Pacem Bellum

I don't believe anyone is better when it comes to trophies, I just like to collect them and respect everyone unless they have nothing but Disney plats then I will leave it be
    Signature Provided By Djunglist

No Game No Life

I don't think so. Just take for example those names at the top, most of those has hacked plats. I have respect though for people who has earned many difficult and rare plats and they earned it the legit way.

I know someone who doesn't give a shit about platinums and trophies but he is very good when it comes to multiplayer games and goes to competitions and the like and of course win it. I could say that is an elite gamer for me.

Currently Playing:
    I dunno what to play anymore.. Too many JRPG

Checklist || GFX Showcase

Lvl 9 - Gold

I wouldn't say that a gamer with a lot of Plats/Trophies is a better gamer than someone with no Plats, for example.
    I would have to judge each particular case, and even so it's hard to find a suitable criteria for it.
    To me good gamers are people that love the games they play regardless of platform, generation and genre.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Deathless Destroyer

I do not believe that the trophy 'level' of a PS3 user determines how successful they are at games. One could be an 'elite' gamer (whatever that is defined as) and only have played 10-12 games, where on the other side some average gamer played 100 games and has a better 'trophy level', but has a lower skill than the latter person.

Usually, online multiplayer is a great way to determine how good one is at games, though not necessarily. One example of this is Call of Duty (quickest game I can think of which meets my criteria of this message) - you may be great at the game, but since the respawns in the multiplayer are not very well designed, you can't expect to attain a good score most of the time.

Trophy level is calculated by how many trophies you have attained, not how skilled you are at a particular game. You won't really know if somebody is 'Elite' unless you watch them and compare them to somebody who is playing the same game at the same time.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast