Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Sony Staff can go to Hell!

This is a discussion on Sony Staff can go to Hell! within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So I rang Ebgames after testing a dvd in the system guess I got a faulty new ps3 after all ...

PRO Member

So I rang Ebgames after testing a dvd in the system guess I got a faulty new ps3 after all I only had this one for 3 months they told me to bring it in and they'll exchange it for another one so I dont have to deal with the ps3 staff again over the phone. Until tomorrow morning I have a dvd player not a games system guess the blu ray drive did die the owner of ebgames blames the resident evil 6 game though ..wow guess new games kill ours consoles whether they old or new.

Change is mediocre

If it's brand new just take it back with the warranty. Sorry to hear though.

PRO Member

Can the update really cause this to happen...I mean its a little hard to believe.

I haven't had the option of the update yet, but it must be a coincidence that you just happenned to update than tried a new disc and the machine went down.

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

PRO Member

or rotten luck ..the owner of eb in my town could be right maybe it was the Resident Evil 6 game but for a new system it just doesnt sound right..after all transformers killed my old 60gb and caused the YLOD eariler this yr and now this oh well at least the owner of ebgames is gonna look after me.

PRO Member

I bought a new console after a system update killed my original fat PS3s ability to connect to PSN, or so I believed. What I had forgotton was that I had actually changed my router settings so I could connect to WiFi with my iPad and hadn't changed the connection settings on the PS3 to match.

At times I can be a right idiot.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by drjackel666 View Post
    oh well at least the owner of ebgames is gonna look after me.
    Its a good thing the owner is being cool about it, sometimes they can be complete jerks.

Sorry to hear about your system, but atleast you were able to figure it out...so maybe the Sony staff shouldn't go to Hell?

I figure that place is already jam packed with M$ staff

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Rangers F.C

or rotten luck ..the owner of eb in my town could be right maybe it was the Resident Evil 6 game but for a new system it just doesnt sound right..after all transformers killed my old 60gb and caused the YLOD eariler this yr and now this oh well at least the owner of ebgames is gonna look after me.
    Silent Hill Homecoming killed my Fatboy , still never went back to play that game but heard it was not up to much
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Breakfast and Chill

Have you tried starting a game that is downloaded to your HDD (assuming you have at least 1 dl'd game)?

The Old Guy

Are we still having these conversations?

Games don't kill systems. Updates don't kill systems. The vast majority of the time the system can be "fixed" by one of several simple means, and if it's really a hardware issue, it would have happened regardless of whether you did an update.

That being said, to the poster a few above me, TURNING OFF YOUR SYSTEM DURING AN UPDATE will brick your system. That's why it says right on the screen not to do it. Even then, though, I would think you could have fixed it by downloading the update onto a USB stick and updating that way, possibly through the safe mode menu.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by ONUOsFan View Post
    Are we still having these conversations?

Games don't kill systems. Updates don't kill systems.
    This right here.

The SOFTWARE you're using at the time of HARDWARE failure is irrelevant. I was playing Trine at the time of my YLoD, but it just happened to be what I was doing when the PS3 was going to die anyway. Go back and play the game, it has nothing to do with the PS3 crashing.

The only two times OFW updates have been related to hardware issues is from unsupported, non-standard (ie not Sony supplied) HDDs in the bay when running the firmware update. Both times the issue was quickly identified and a hotfix was distributed within 24-48 hours for the few who were affected by the problem.

Please, try not to claim the sky is falling and pointing the finger of blame at Sony and game developers when the truth of the matter is shit just happens and the stuff we buy breaks all the time.

Lvl 7 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    This right here.

The SOFTWARE you're using at the time of HARDWARE failure is irrelevant. I was playing Trine at the time of my YLoD, but it just happened to be what I was doing when the PS3 was going to die anyway. Go back and play the game, it has nothing to do with the PS3 crashing.

The only two times OFW updates have been related to hardware issues is from unsupported, non-standard (ie not Sony supplied) HDDs in the bay when running the firmware update. Both times the issue was quickly identified and a hotfix was distributed within 24-48 hours for the few who were affected by the problem.

Please, try not to claim the sky is falling and pointing the finger of blame at Sony and game developers when the truth of the matter is shit just happens and the stuff we buy breaks all the time.
    Does the SOFTWARE not tell the HARDWARE how to function? And then in that regard, potentially makes things like your lens and driver burnout?

PRO Member

well I got my new ps3 the owner at eb games apologised and is sending it back to sony to deal with ..also I got borderlands 2 for free seeing it's with the new systems so thats a plus..though still gotta play the first game first..anyway syncing trophys then gotta install my saves and yakuza dead souls again. I sure hope it all goes well now.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Splee009 View Post
    Does the SOFTWARE not tell the HARDWARE how to function? And then in that regard, potentially makes things like your lens and driver burnout?
    The OS tells the hardware how to function, not the game. There's no way to link a specific game to either the YLoD or BR Drive failure...stating otherwise is pure speculative bullshit.

An OS upgrade is not going to break the default Sony hardware. Everyone's PS3 hardware is exactly the same (for the most part), so there's no little to variability in the hardware configurations, with the exception of third-party HDDs, which to date, are the only known cause of firmware > hardware related issues. If an OFW upgrade broke it's connection to a hardware component, like failing to marry the BR Drive to the console, then the problem would be widespread and easily resolved.

Playing graphics intensive games for long periods at a time may risk a BR Drive, but it pretty much needs to be faulty in the first place. Usage and flawed components, not OS-level instructions or game load is going to burn a lens out.

well I got my new ps3 the owner at eb games apologised and is sending it back to sony to deal with ..also I got borderlands 2 for free seeing it's with the new systems so thats a plus..though still gotta play the first game first..anyway syncing trophys then gotta install my saves and yakuza dead souls again. I sure hope it all goes well now.
    Sounds like a great outcome. Congrats on the free game, I hope that makes up for your frustration.

Deathless Destroyer

Updates are not the cause of major problems, as it is mainly a problem with your internal components. That's what I had thought at first when my 60GB PS3 2 months ago YLOD'd 30 mins after updating, after 6 years. It turned out the solder inside the PS3 was worn off over the 6 years, going to replace it at the end of the year.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

PRO Member

This was a 3 month old console not 6 yrs ..but anyway I have a new system I'm happy but as for sony staff ok only that staff member can go to hell.

The Old Guy

Quote Originally Posted by Splee009 View Post
    Let me put one small point of clarification around this. While it's true that a game or update will not cause a hardware failure, they can accelerate one. A game like Uncharted 3 which, by the developer's own admission, "abuses" the Blu-Ray streaming system on the PS3 could make a BR drive failure occur earlier, but make no mistake that if it fails while you're playing that game IT WOULD HAVE FAILED ANYWAY. I started having issues with my last PS3 while playing that game and it ended up dying while I was playing ME3, but I don't blame either of those games - I just had a bad drive.

All we can do is take the best care possible of our systems and hope for the best, but as someone else said, sometimes stuff just happens and things break.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12