Questions about finding and replacing harddrives

This is a discussion on Questions about finding and replacing harddrives within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have been seaching everywhere for a new harddrive, because I am down to 40 GB and I can't find ...

Lvl 5 - Silver

Questions about finding and replacing harddrives

I have been seaching everywhere for a new harddrive, because I am down to 40 GB and I can't find one anywhere. Does anyone know where I can find one? When you are replacing it, do you have to transfer the data to the new one? Can I just take it out and put the new one in without transfering the data? If I don't have to transfer the data and I take it out will anything get deleted? Will my psn account still be on there, or will I have to create a new one? Will the trophies still be on there that I already have?

Sig by Bladia

PRO Member

Thats a whole lot of questions at once...

1. Where can I find a new harddrive?
    I'd say search the web, check out local electronic stores in your area to see, maybe even refurbished ones
    2. When you are replacing it (harddrive), do you have to transfer the date to the new one?
    Yes, make sure, before you exhange the harddrive, that you back up all your saved game data on to a disc or thumb drive It would be a shame to lose all your hard earned data accidentally
    3. Can I just take it (harddrive) out and put the new one in without transfering the data?
    No, see comment to question 2
    4. If I don't have to transfer that data and I take it out will anything get deleted?
    Again, see comment to question 2. You should always backup your saved game data, it should be regular practice
    5. Will my PSN account still be on there?
    (Correct me if I'm wrong) But your PSN account is saved online, along with your trophies stats, they don't disappear. As long as you don't forget your login ID
    6. or will I have to creat a new one?
    See comment to question 5
    7. Will the trophies still be on there that I already have?
    See comment to question 5

Best thing to do, is some homework online, especially when it comes to replacing internal components, if you don't feel comfortable, shop around and see what the prices are like in your area to do the work. Some may disagree, but I have always found Sony's tech support helpful. You can always speak with them.

Let me know how it all turns out and best of luck

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Lvl 5 - Silver

Thanks a whole lot, this is really helpful. I will tell you what happens.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 1 - Bronze

I swapped my stock 60Gb with a 500Gb...just a word of advice...make sure you get a 5400rpm drive...i tried a 7200rpm drive thinking it would be better and it wouldn't register with the system half of the time...after some research I found this was a common problem with the faster drives so I sold it on Ebay and bought a 5400rpm drive made by the same manufacturer as the one that came in the ps3 which was a Seagate Momentus.

One of the problems I ran into was that you cannot transfer files over 5Gb from one drive to the other and you must format the drive in FAT32 format...basically even if you do a backup and restore you will still have to redownload many of the games you have bought on the network...if you are a ps+ subscriber I would suggest placing all of your saves into online storage and also backing them up on a thumb drive just to be safe. I ended up just starting from scratch and reinstalling all my games and redownloading everything I bought from the network. Also sync your trophies before you swap drives so that you don't lose any that you may have got before the swap.

Just use the same name you had on the other one and when signing up to the network it will give you the option to use an existing account and of course choose this option and use your same username and password and it will be just as it was before.

Anyway it was the best thing I ever did...if you need any more help don't hesitate to ask.

Lvl 1 - Bronze

Seagate Momentus ST9500325AS - my recommendation - just search for it on Amazon or Ebay or wherever you like to shop.

PRO Member

Has anyone tried swapping thier hard drive with an SSD?

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by josh_camp View Post
    Has anyone tried swapping thier hard drive with an SSD?
    A few people ive heard of doing it you just need to find one that fits the dimensions of the HDD that comes with the PS3

Administrator

This should work well for you
    Amazon.com: Western Digital 160 GB WD Blue SATA II 5400 RPM 8 MB Cache Bulk/OEM Notebook Hard Drive: Electronics

I heard 7200RPM drives should work well also, just make sure it is 2.5" drive that fits notebooks and not a 3.5" drive that is for desktop pc's

SSD can work also, but doesn't offer much advantage.

illegal in 9 countries

A few facts -

1. The replacement HDD needs to be 2.5" and a max of 9.5mm high to fit in the internal PS3 bay.
    2. The above pretty much limits you to 1TB and smaller capacity. Try NewEgg, BestBuy or Amazon.
    3. 5400RPM vs 7200RPM doesn't matter. 5400RPM will consume less power and throw less heat.
    4. There's no performance benefit of using a SSD in a PS3.
    5. The drive doesn't need to be formatted to Fat32 before installation. The PS3 will format the HDD as part of the setup process.
    6. Have a copy of the latest firmware handy on a USB stick, just in case the installation process goes pear-shaped. Part of the firmware will install to the HDD and there are occasional issues with installing firmware via the PSN to a new HDD.
    7. You can reinsert your old HDD into the same PS3 at any time if you forgot to transfer critical content or neglected to sync your trophies.

When upgrading a HDD, the only things you really need to keep are your Game Saves. Subscribe to PS+ so you can backup both copy-prohibited and normal game saves. Unless you have two PS3's there's no other way to backup and restore all of them. PS+ is much easier and more convenient - upload from your old HDD, connect to an existing PSN id from the new HDD, download to your PS3...done.

Reinstall or download your Game Data, Themes, Avatars etc from disc and / or PSN. It's not worth backing up and restoring a PS3 to an external HDD, particularly when you have a tonne of content. Oftentimes the data will corrupt on restoration and you've just wasted your time and potentially trashed your saves.

Lvl 9 - Gold

Thank you ant1th3s1s for the tips above, I was also thinking of replacing my HDD and now it's a lot clearer to me.
    I guess I'll have to wait though, since I don't have Plus and did a lot of Gamesharing (and now I don't talk to some of my friends anymore), so I'd be losing a lot of my games if I did change the hard drive.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 5 - Silver

When you are logging into psn for the first time on the new harddrive and you pick, use an existing account on the new harddrive, will that count as one of your two ps3s you can have the same account on?

Sig by Bladia

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by skatingsam96 View Post
    When you are logging into psn for the first time on the new harddrive and you pick, use an existing account on the new harddrive, will that count as one of your two ps3s you can have the same account on?
    No it won't. The HDD is going into the same console, so it's recorded as the same PS3.

Sony tracks the console ID which is independent of the HDD.

Lvl 5 - Silver

can you take your ps3 to gamestop and have them switch the harddrive and transfer the data?

Sig by Bladia

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by skatingsam96 View Post
    can you take your ps3 to gamestop and have them switch the harddrive and transfer the data?
    No. That opens up a litigious can of worms. It's not a service any gaming store will offer.

To run a Data Transfer you need two PS3s - one with the original HDD, and another as a backup.
    Run Data Transfer (which often corrupts and fails) on PS3 1 to move the data to PS3 2.
    Upgrade the HDD in PS3 1.
    Transfer data back from PS3 2.

Every time I've tried this with more than 100GB, it has failed. You only need a single corrupted avatar or theme and the whole process goes arse up.

Furthermore, trying to put a HDD from another PS3 will also fail. Each individual console has a unique signature code that it writes to the HDDs. The signatures from two PS3s are always different, hence you can't just drop a HDD from another PS3 into your console. You'll be prompted to format the HDD instead.

The simplest and best process is -
    1. Backup your Game Saves to USB, or PS+ if copy-protected.
    2. Replace your HDD.
    3. Setup your PSN id.
    4. Reinstall your Game Data.
    5. Copy back your Saves.
    6. Game on.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

seagate hdd's that are sata2 have boot problems with ps3 that can resolved with a simple jumper to force sata1
    the ps3 will just freeze upon boot (1/5 of the time?), i do not recommend seagate, get western digital, no jumper, no freezing

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Go with Western Digital 1TB and have plenty of space.