Broken disc

This is a discussion on Broken disc within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Ever had a disc break from being taken out/put in it's box? It happened with my Mass Effect 3 disc. ...

Lvl 8 - Gold

Broken disc

Ever had a disc break from being taken out/put in it's box? It happened with my Mass Effect 3 disc. I have the Collector's Edition and it's somewhat difficult to take put/put in the game from the steelbook it comes with. I'm REALLY careful with my games but it still happened. I finally got in the mood to do my insanity playthrough and I just noticed these tiny cracks coming out of the central hole. I think my playthrough will be put on hold as I don't want to damage my PS3 by putting a "broken" disc in.

Death is Awaiting....

I feel your pain...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Sig by Achantion

PRO Member

If the cracks are only on the edges of the inner circle part of the disc, wouldn't the game still work. I'm not totally certain about this, but isn't the game information stored on the main part of the disc, like a movie DVD, whereas even though the inner circle gets a bit of wear and tear, the main disc is generally left unaffected. Meaning the game should work, no?

Have you tried putting the disc in, or are you not even going to bother? If you have the purchase receipt why not try and get it replaced.

Unfortunately this have never happenned to me (knock on wood)

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by User011010 View Post
    If the cracks are only on the edges of the inner circle part of the disc, wouldn't the game still work. I'm not totally certain about this, but isn't the game information stored on the main part of the disc, like a movie DVD, whereas even though the inner circle gets a bit of wear and tear, the main disc is generally left unaffected. Meaning the game should work, no?

Have you tried putting the disc in, or are you not even going to bother? If you have the purchase receipt why not try and get it replaced.

Unfortunately this have never happenned to me (knock on wood)
    I only noticed the cracks a few hours ago after I finished playing a few missions and decided to take a break. The game worked fine but I canít say if they were there when I played as I only noticed them when I put the game in the box. Theyíre just tiny cracks that donít reach the data storage area so Iím sure it would work, but the problem is that the cracks can get bigger and the disc can shatter in the console. I'll have to check it thoroughly to see the real extent of the damage.

But the steelbook's inner ring is hard as nails so I'm not surprised it happened. Never had any issues with the Killzone 3 steelbook.

Rangers F.C

Never had one actually break on me but have had many a disk nearly fold in half trying to get it out ........ scary at the time , its most of the time a brand new game as well and I don't think you could go back to the shop with a disk broken in half and say its faulty
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Angel of Death

The other day actually. I bought the MGS Collection for the PS3 from Best Buy, and low and behold, the disc and the disc holder were broken. Luckily I was in the car. >_>

Lvl 8 - Gold

I bought the game a few months ago so returning it is out of the question, especially since it was my fault.