PS3 Won't update and is stopping me from playing it.

This is a discussion on PS3 Won't update and is stopping me from playing it. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I cannot play my PS3 anymore because of this update :L Basicly, When I update it it downloads the update ...

Lvl 6 - Silver

PS3 Won't update and is stopping me from playing it.

I cannot play my PS3 anymore because of this update :L

Basicly, When I update it it downloads the update fine but when it installs it, it gets stuck at 99% then pops up an error and restarts.

Then it says "The installation process was cancelled, we are now trying to install it and your PS3 will automatically restart once this is complete"

Then it just repeats.

Is this happening to anyone and does anyone know how I could fix this?

Toggle Spoiler

★ Extra Astronomical ★

I believe someone on the site had the same problem. They had to download the update from their computer and put it onto a usb flash drive. Stick that in your ps3 and choose to download from a external storage device.

Update features (ver 4.30)*-*PlayStation 3, PS3 system software

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    I believe someone on the site had the same problem. They had to download the update from their computer and put it onto a usb flash drive. Stick that in your ps3 and choose to download from a external storage device.

Update features (ver 4.30)*-*PlayStation 3, PS3 system software
    But I cannot access the XMB menu because of the update thing, there is no way to cancel it :L

Toggle Spoiler

Angel of Death

You might have to just shut off the PS3 to take it out. I know it says it's bad to do that, but if it's not going to do anything but that, you will need to unplug it.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

This is something a Sony Online Support Coordinator posted about infinite update loops
    If the update is getting stuck in a loop, it may indicate that the update information, when downloaded, was incomplete. In the case it the update pauses at a particular point, we would not advise pulling the AC cord out of the console as this can damage it.

If the PlayStation 3 gets stuck and does not power down, hold the power button until the console beeps and the light flashes. The console will then force itself to shut down into standby mode.

In this case it might be worth removing the HDD (this does invalidate the warranty if its within 12 months) and then re-sit it back in the console.

Alterbnatively, when powering up the console you can try doing so into Safe/Recovery Mode outlined here. Here you will provided with six options, the sixth will be the option to install the update again.

If you can download the update onto USB (outlined here) through a wired connection to a laptop/pc and then put this USB in the console.

Give this a try and let me know.

4.25 error- now stuck in an infinite loop. - PlayStation Forum

Lvl 6 - Silver

Whenever I power off the PS3, and turn it on again, It just tries to update again :L I pre-ordered ACIII and I am scared if I get it in 2 days and I cannot play it :L That's 80 gone until I fix it :L

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 9 - Gold

Can't you disconnect your router or Ethernet cable to prevent it from updating?

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 6 - Silver

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    Tried blocking my PS3's access to the internet, but it still attempts to update. I will try again though.

Toggle Spoiler

Lvl 8 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    This should do the trick. Just unplug the ethernet cable from the back of your PS3.

PRO Member

I'm surprised to hear that the update automatically tries to update, especially after you've cancelled the initial download.

Generally you have to choose to update the system...sorry to hear that.

Like Pancake said, try Sony online, sorry I couldn't have been more helpful.

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Lvl 6 - Silver

Turns out, If I unplug the router it will still do it, because the update has already been downloaded, it is the installation that is looping so it does not need to download the update now :L

Toggle Spoiler