Results 1 to 16 of 16

RANT: DLC and trophies

This is a discussion on RANT: DLC and trophies within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; This is a rant, so although your free to reply and express your opinion, you shouldn't be arguing with someone ...

  1. #1
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Crealkllr's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    50th state
    Posts
    923
    Reputation
    21

    RANT: DLC and trophies

    This is a rant, so although your free to reply and express your opinion, you shouldn't be arguing with someone else just because your opinion differs. Please remember that this thread is to vent my opinion on the topic and a simple discussion on what you think about the topic. I also recommend that you reply with your opinion on the matter before you read my rant, to see if you naturally agree or differ.

    TOPIC: Do you buy DLC? Is it worth the added cost? Do you hate the fact that most DLC has no added trophies and are, for the most part, worthless or random.

    Toggle Spoiler




  2. #2
    Plats-O'-War!!
    kidson2004's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    All Around The World
    Posts
    3,949
    Reputation
    171

    Well, for me personally it depends on the game I'm playing. Or, if the DLC's truly worth buying. Most of the time, developers leave out "certain" parts of a game that makes you think about buying DLC just to see a actual ending to the game (Asura's Wrath is a perfect example. I like the game so much, I bought the DLC to play the final chapter to that game. Best believe I wasn't disappointed at all!!), or a continuation to a game well after it's conclusion. Oh and btw, IMHO, I would stop giving your friend money to buy DLC unless he compensates you for it. Just my thought on it.




  3. #3
    Legalize it...
    JDizzle0420's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    1,989
    Reputation
    125

    The only DLC I buy are ones that add to the story, so I consider them worth it...

  4. #4
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Crealkllr's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    50th state
    Posts
    923
    Reputation
    21

    Quote Originally Posted by kidson2004 View Post
    Well, for me personally it depends on the game I'm playing. Or, if the DLC's truly worth buying. Most of the time, developers leave out "certain" parts of a game that makes you think about buying DLC just to see a actual ending to the game (Asura's Wrath is a perfect example. I like the game so much, I bought the DLC to play the final chapter to that game. Best believe I wasn't disappointed at all!!), or a continuation to a game well after it's conclusion. Oh and btw, IMHO, I would stop giving your friend money to buy DLC unless he compensates you for it. Just my thought on it.
    LOL i forgot about the Asura's Wrath example. Yea i think thats a paragraph i forgot to add. I hate when the DLC is on the disk but you have to pay or you need to download something just to platinum a game (or to complete the story line). The main thing is that those instances there is actually a purpose to the DLC. Stuff like music and costumes have no use to me. I forget what other types of DLC there are...

    Anyway, great response and yea... thanks for your Honest opinion. I have a flaw of giving away money...



  5. #5
    You Know You Love Me
    Faust's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,140
    Reputation
    290

    Heaps of games have associated aesthetic DLC, which I find kind of shameful.
    Small packs that contain nothing but costumes or 'golden weapons' should be included as unlockable content in the original games, like Borderlands 2 where you can find skins as loot, or earn them as rewards for completing missions. Another example is God of War, where you could unlock new skins that modified how you played the game, and were earned by finishing the game on certain difficulty. Instead, the trend nowadays is to charge gamers, even as little as $0.99, for small "costume packs".

    Larger packs, however, are fine, and I have no problem paying for them. Multiplayer map packs or extra single-player missions take time, money, and effort to develop, and developers certainly have the right to profit from them. Furthermore, the larger packs often add a lot to the game, and are therefore a worthwhile purchase.
    The exception, of course, is Assassin's Creed II. Leaving out 2 missions and lazily saying "sometime later...", and forcing you to fork over $14.99 for two missions that should have been part of the original release is an act of douchebaggery.

  6. #6
    Hero of Kvatch
    MTL_TKO's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    East Midlands, UK
    Posts
    317
    Reputation
    16

    I need free money

    As for DLC, I hate how expensive it is. I only buy it if it's a game I enjoy and the DLC will add to my gaming experience, not necessarily to make the game easier or to add more trophies. If the DLC is free, I will download it regardless of whether it's any good. Anything free is always good!


    "War, war never changes."


  7. #7
    Lvl 8 - Gold
    Crealkllr's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    50th state
    Posts
    923
    Reputation
    21

    Quote Originally Posted by Faust View Post
    Heaps of games have associated aesthetic DLC, which I find kind of shameful.
    Small packs that contain nothing but costumes or 'golden weapons' should be included as unlockable content in the original games, like Borderlands 2 where you can find skins as loot, or earn them as rewards for completing missions. Another example is God of War, where you could unlock new skins that modified how you played the game, and were earned by finishing the game on certain difficulty. Instead, the trend nowadays is to charge gamers, even as little as $0.99, for small "costume packs".

    Larger packs, however, are fine, and I have no problem paying for them. Multiplayer map packs or extra single-player missions take time, money, and effort to develop, and developers certainly have the right to profit from them. Furthermore, the larger packs often add a lot to the game, and are therefore a worthwhile purchase.
    The exception, of course, is Assassin's Creed II. Leaving out 2 missions and lazily saying "sometime later...", and forcing you to fork over $14.99 for two missions that should have been part of the original release is an act of douchebaggery.
    Dude i agree (or at least enjoyed reading your response.) I guess your right about the larger packs, as i didnt think about all that work to make. I dont personally play multiplayer anymore (lost that addiction to that feeling) but your right in that the company has the right to ask for that DLC. If they added trophies (like black ops with zombie mode), then i would see it worth it in my situation.

    As for Assassins creed, they always do that, and i just hope no one buys it. Their story is so twisted anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by MTL_TKO View Post
    I need free money

    As for DLC, I hate how expensive it is. I only buy it if it's a game I enjoy and the DLC will add to my gaming experience, not necessarily to make the game easier or to add more trophies. If the DLC is free, I will download it regardless of whether it's any good. Anything free is always good!
    I agree it is expensive.



  8. #8
    Lvl 5 - Silver
    Brenden's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    359
    Reputation
    0

    I only buy map packs for a multiplayer I really enjoy or story related DLC with trophies.
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

  9. #9
    Aes Dana
    Timeless-Enigma's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    2,862
    Reputation
    339

    I do purchase DLC and i seem to be purchasing more and more of it lately. I recently purchased the bordelands 2 season pass for 19.99 and before that i purchased all the Uncharted 3 DLC. Just looking at my trophy list i can see that the last seven games i played involved me purchasing DLC! I could probably purchase two new titles on release date for the amount of cash i have spent on DLC for those seven games

    I have no problem with DLC if it is reasonably priced and is actually worth the money. The first DLC for borderlands 2 i downloaded is a 1.2GB download and that makes me feel like i am actually getting something for my season pass purchase.

  10. #10
    Summer holidays :)
    Scrunch's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    875
    Reputation
    187

    I only buy dlc if it adds extra missions and trophies to a game. I have no interest in buying dlc that is just extra costumes or guns, it doesn't add to my gameplaying experience so I don't see the point.
    Like Timeless above, I bought the Borderlands 2 dlc and it's added more missions to the game plus extra areas to explore and imo was well worth the money.

    Awesome sig & avy by the Awesome Timeless-Enigma

  11. #11
    Lvl 1 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    35
    Reputation
    1

    I buy DLC for most of my games but only if it is worth it and by that I mean adds to main story, not costumes or multiplayer maps. I don't really like playing multiplayer on most games because it gets old really quick, like with COD games and AC, I don't like just running around trying to kill other people. But if the DLC is like those released for Borderlands, Fallout 3, and Dragon Age Origins, I think it is well worth it.

  12. #12
    Hunter-Scholar-Gentleman
    TerminalPhoenix's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    539
    Reputation
    34

    Like games, DLCs can be good or bad. Sometimes it's about the trophies but sometimes it's to make your game more enjoyable. Games that are notorious for customization (ModNation Racers, LBP, Saint's Row 3 etc.) will have cosmetic packs and I guess that's just a subjective buy. Technically, they're not worth it, but if it makes you enjoy your game more, it's an individual choice and I'm not against them. They're not my thing.

    I tend to get DLCs that extend my play of a game I really like. Unfortunately, a lot of DLCs are poorly made and only a few teams have truly gotten around to giving you a lot of content or enough content to justify the price. Borderlands is a game I just recently platinumed and I have no intention of moving on to a new game. I have all 4 DLCs and except for Moxi's pack which is essentially an array of dome challenges, all of the rest are great side stories and have a good amount of content. Castlevania Lords of Shadow had 2 additional chapters after the main story ended, and I thoroughly enjoyed them. The last chapter had one of the toughest, yet fair boss fights. DA: Origins and DA2 had good DLCs as well. Those were good buys in my opinion.

    But there are a lot of guilty pleasure DLCs that I have as well. Star Wars the Force Unleashed 1 and 2 had DLCs that were overpriced. They were fun to play, and had their charm, but they were short and overpriced. They did make me get 100% overall, but I wouldn't recommend them to anyone. And unfortunately, most DLCs are like that. Short and overpriced. At the end of the day, it's so subjective sometimes that it's hard to say.

    Let me put it this way, if you paid 50 bucks for a game and you spend another 50 bucks in DLCs, you better justify that purchase by loving the game a lot or getting great value, otherwise it's a poor use of your money and you should be slapped with a ping pong paddle.

    The Road So Far And The Road Ahead
    `2nd place Trophy Checklist (2013)
    `Checklist Spotlight #2 Winner (2014)

    Currently Playing
    `NFS Rivals [64%]
    `Diablo 3: Ultimate Ed. [64%]

    Signature & Avatar
    `courtesy of DaRe_xLw


  13. #13
    PRO Member
    User011010's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    6th Circle
    Posts
    1,241
    Reputation
    79

    I do purchase DLCs, but (like so many comments above have said) as long as it adds to the main game/campaign. I'm not a fan of custome or character DLCs nor do I believe the DLC should be a missing level or area of the main campaign. It should be a tangent, different branch of the game play.

    For instance I purchased all the Fallout 3 DLCs, 5 in total, they were all equally worth the cost and were a great experience.

    What bothers me, is when a game (ie. Fallout 3) gets re-released as a GOTY edition which includes all DLCs and sells for the same price tag the original game was

    The developers should have some way of knowing you already have the game so may offer the DLCs at a lower rate.

    Great thread btw Creal

    Avatar by Pancake Model



    Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18




    Platinum Bar by dsluckay

  14. #14
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    Waystedyou's Avatar


    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,258
    Reputation
    27

    only really buy DLC like undead nightmare, and stuff for games that adds alot of time into the game more than just character skins or whatever.



  15. #15
    Saints Row IV
    brAvEhEaRtDC's Avatar


    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Okinawa,Japan
    Posts
    1,616
    Reputation
    33

    No no and no
    Waste of money seriously
    And they make you're collection ugly
    Epic avatar by PixieOfDarkness!
    Epic signature by spanishstoat


    Click on my Signature to check my website




  16. #16
    Deathless Destroyer
    Encorporeus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Oi Mate
    Posts
    980
    Reputation
    39

    In my opinion, games should be sold as a complete copy, and all extra add-ons free. I don't personally care if I spend $100 on a game, as long as I get my money's worth. The most I've spent on a game is $50, and I have 17 games.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, [I]120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB Ordered/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

    Youtube Channel

    Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel



Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:02 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2014 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO