Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

What do you miss the most in gaming today ?

This is a discussion on What do you miss the most in gaming today ? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer I saved up & bought a gladiator game for $50 & it was so crap that ...

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    I saved up & bought a gladiator game for $50 & it was so crap that a piece shit would say thats crap. (can't even remember it's name, on SNES) but I bought the Aerosmith SNES shooter for $10 & it was just EPIC.
    <- Paid $80 for a copy of Superman 64.

I still have nightmares to this day.

I also did the same with Shaq Fu

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Angel of Death

I miss when people didn't think they were cool because they are good at Call of Duty. >_> Idiots...
    Last edited by cengizbobengiz; 10-29-2012 at 04:28 AM.

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by Fox View Post
    I can tell you something I DON'T miss - the insane commercials of the time. Like this. ( Seriously, who was that geared towards? Sociopaths? ) I also don't miss the insane price tags.
    Someone was looking at my posts in the other thread (or that is just a weird coincidence )

Also if you want bad check this out

I mean Nintendo must have really hated both Zelda and rap

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Huge Gaming Backlog

Not a thing.
    I have been gaming since the Commodore 64 days and it has only got better every year. I can't even imagine what we're in for in the next 5-10 years.
    Even these days they are re-releasing old school games on the new platforms remastered in HD.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

PRO Member

I miss originality

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by cengizbobengiz View Post
    i miss when people didn't think they were cool because they are good at Call of Duty. >_> Idiots...
    Well I think i'm because I have had MW3 since day 1 but have never taken the disk from it's case & even still have the elite founders card that came with it.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Korean Girl Group Groupie

I miss Arcades. One of my closest friends to this day, met at an arcade almost 15 years ago. Back then when you wanted to trash talk somebody who wasn't your brother/friend/kid you put up with from down the street, you asked your parents for some quarters and took it to the arcade.

I miss gaming magazines, when there were tons of them - and you didn't have the internet to baby sit you through a game. My friends and I as youngsters were stuck for nearly a month at Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link, and were trying to figure out which kid in the neighborhood's house we could go to and use one of those overpriced "hotlines" to get tips to get through. Eventually, one of us came up with the idea that the book store might have some guides, and we went and got one of those with a title like, "NES Super Cheats: Volume 2" or something, and found out what we needed to find those last couple dungeons and finish the game. Ever since then, I've had a high appreciation and love of the guide world, and still to this day buy them as companion pieces because of that summer.

I miss before the internet, when you used to go out and rent games at a local stop, judging it with the minimal information on the box, or by what was newest. It was always a crap shoot, because even up to the PS1/Saturn/N64 days, more than half the games released were total shit (much worse than it is today) and you never knew if you were going to get something that was either going to keep you up all weekend, or cause you to forget about the video games for the weekend, and go play outside (which I did a ton of as a kid, because like I said, I rented a lot of crappy games). Now it seems if a game sucks, you just go and ask for an exchange - or log on somewhere and bitch about it as if you need somewhere to rant about how bad something is.

I miss when my files were erased, it was because my little brother saved over the file. Now it seems that a corrupt hard drive is the main culprit of my game save woes, and yelling at a machine doesn't have the same sense of anger release, that my little brother's denying face did.

I miss couch-side co-op being the norm, instead of exception. It's cool that I can play with some kid in Peru at a title we both like, it just doesn't have that same appeal as playing Goldeneye, or Hexen after school, and accusing people of "looking at your screen" when they went on unusual kill streaks. I still look for local co-op games, and bring my system over to friend's houses when we can sneak in gaming sessions in between that work, bills, and kids stuff. Sure, we could probably just play online, but that doesn't have the impact of those days; and sadly there are certain titles that don't even offer local co-op (I am convinced that these developers, must have been the crappy guy at couch co-op, and suffer major withdraws from that troubling period).

Most of all, I miss the innocence and simplicity of everything, before people would bitch about a game taking forever to come out, that the game costs too much, or that everything was better than it was back then, before preconceived notions, and expectations clouded the experience of gaming, and turned everybody into a critic with a sense of entitlement who feels that everything needs to be compared to something else. When gaming was gaming, and gamers were just gamers.

Need help? Just ask (blank friend requests will always be ignored)

Lvl 5 - Silver

I miss local multiplayer. It's almost extinct nowadays.
    "Those who do not show respect will receive none in kind."

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by canadian94eh View Post
    i miss the days where games would have 4 or 5 gold trophies now they just have 1, why?!?
    I personally like games that don't give loads , a gold is a step down from platinum so being able to get like 5 in one game is stupid and decreases there value , 1-2 is good because they are a reward for hard things in games
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    Well I think i'm because I have had MW3 since day 1 but have never taken the disk from it's case & even still have the elite founders card that came with it.
    Okay, that is pretty badass...

Also, I miss classic Final Fantasy turn based games.

Retired

I miss the feeling of "Wow!" when I finished a game back then, now it's "Oh great, I finished a game."

How I used to get a random game and ended up loving it.

That games didn't need guns to be popular.

Quote Originally Posted by tenacious View Post
    I miss local multiplayer. It's almost extinct nowadays.
    And that.

Lvl 6 - Silver

I miss when games had more than an 8 hour campaign and no online to worry about. Games like FF7 and 8 had more depth and things to do than anything games of today have to offer by about 10fold.
    I also miss when games were completed when they were released, instead of being able to patch the mistakes at a later date. Games had to fucking work back in the day, and wouldn't have as many glitches and errors and bugs as say, Tomb Raider Underworld/Legend/Anniversary.
    AND I also miss when there was more than FPS's to the world.
    PSN ID: nookie_egg [GMT]
    Feel free to add me if you want, just send me a message that you're from here and what you are interested in boosting if necessary BUT PLEASE, NO BLANK FRIEND REQUESTS.
    Boosting online trophies of:
    NFS THE RUN [co-op], BIOSHOCK 2 [level 40]
    Thanks to EVERYONE who helps boosting sessions!
    [

Lvl 6 - Silver

I miss the days when there wasn't any Dlc or multiplayer. We just had the full game and that was it. I also miss classic Final Fantasy where you could explore the world map in airships. Ps2 games were the best.
    Thanks to xEl Cidx for my awesome Avy and Sig.

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Couch co-op

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by Pancake Model View Post
    Couch co-op
    OMG!!!! The late night yelling and cussing because somebody forgot about that one enemy with the big ol gun. I miss those days.

Lvl 9 - Gold

I don't really "Miss" anythng as I still play the classics.
    But there are a few things that I wish modern games had, yes. In any case (and for the sake of the thread) let's just refer to them as "miss."

I miss those times when you bought a game AND IT WAS COMPLETE. If you and your friend bought the same game but at different times you still had the same content. Now it's a mess, preorder bonuses, DLC, GOTY Editions, Limited Editions, etc. I hate that. I don't have enough money to buy games at launch so I usually miss out on those DLC (I can't be bothered to buy it anyway, it's just costumes or whatever), and in my country there's no Gamestop and the like so preorder bonuses are nonexistant. It sucks but at the same time it makes it more similar to the older times.

I miss those times when there were no funny businesses like on-disc DLC. It's pretty much the same as my previous point, you got a game, it had everything it could have. You didn't have to pay extra, and if an expansion pack came out (even a year or two after release) everybody got really excited, now it's kind of the standard to have a DLC a month after release.
    And to continue among those lines, unlockable characters. In fighting games you usually had unlockable characters for which you either had to put a code (thank goodness for gaming magazines and those friends who knew everything) or do weird stuff like beat arcade with this character without dying or continuing, etc. SOme games still have it but with characters we know we can play as or that they exist, and that is not cool, it's annoying. I don't want to pay for Freddy Krueger in MK9, I want to put a code to unlock him, or Shao Kahn, or Kintaro.

And most importantly, splitscreen/local co-op. A lot of games still have this, but not enough. Especially shooters. 4-player offline multiplayer...those were the days, Timesplitters, Goldeneye, Turok...now if a game does have co-op it's usually online and it's just some missions (like RAGE).
    If Call of Duty does one thing right it's the splitscreen multiplayer, and the only reason I play CoD besides the campaign (a friends always buys them and I borrow them).

I have other stuff like the amount and quality of JRPGs we get now -or rather, don't get-, how annoying having a hard drive can be instead of memory cards (at least for me) sometimes, and that sometimes trophies can ruin the experience a bit (this is really subjective and doesn't always apply).
    In all honesty I just wish consoles stayed as just consoles, without internet browsers, without apps, without -heck, I'm gonna say it- online multiplayer, and no DLC or stuff like that. A game is buggy? Well, work on it a bit longer before releasing it and don't bother with patches later. No DLC please. And just leave Pc for all that, it's way easier there anyway.
    I may sound a little extreme, but I'd like to see at least 1 console without all that, just plug and play, no installing, no updating, no online shenanigans. As I said I still have my old systems and I use them often, but still, comparing a PS2 to a PS3 personally I'd stick with the former.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by johnny_leyenda View Post
    I don't really "Miss" anythng as I still play the classics.
    But there are a few things that I wish modern games had, yes. In any case (and for the sake of the thread) let's just refer to them as "miss."
    Not following what your saying about " Miss " please explain ?
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 9 - Gold

Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Not following what your saying about " Miss " please explain ?
    Ah, yes, what I meant is that I don't really miss anything in gaming today, since I still play older games that have stuff games nowadays don't.
    But I still wish some recent games had stuff older games had, and while it's not "missing" something in gaming (as the name of the thread says), I guess it still counts as it. Was it confusing? I don't really know how else to say it.

NO blank Friend Requests will be accepted

Lvl 9 - Gold

Local multi player, difficulty in single player (for most of the games there are a few that still keep that up) Couch coop like a few people said is almost dissapeared as well.

Oh and, when games weren't viewed as a commodity by the publishers and more as an expression of art instead of a means to an end.
    Last edited by Waystedyou; 10-29-2012 at 07:30 PM.

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

Going on an earlier posts theme, i miss playing Pro Evo Soccer Tourneys with friends round and a crate of beer, all those plebs moved onto XBox and FIFA when it became culturally relevant to do so and started online play only.
    We used to have a league between 10 -16 of us every year from 1999 - 2008 with cups and everything, it was a brilliantly contested series of games over a year with smack talk, daring wagers, form guides and odds. We all anticipated each seasons start, talked tactics and predictions etc. I ended up winning 6 league titles and 5 cups during that time but watching people who were hopeless to begin with, gradually improve each year and become genuine contenders by the end was the best part, even though i started missing out on trophies!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast