Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 62

What do you miss the most in gaming today ?

This is a discussion on What do you miss the most in gaming today ? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Games being hard and scary. I remember when Silent Hill first came out, that game was so difficult and it ...

  1. #41
    Lvl 2 - Bronze
    citchmook's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    96
    Reputation
    0

    Games being hard and scary. I remember when Silent Hill first came out, that game was so difficult and it scared me countless times. I know i'm older now but it just feels different lol.

  2. #42
    Cipher sent us to hell
    x13ucketHeaDx's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Kentucky, USA
    Posts
    169
    Reputation
    5

    Hmm...let's see:

    I miss when games were developed as a product and not a service. I hate that buying a game is likened to buying a starter pack for a trading card game. Sure you can play, but unless you are willing to shell out extra for booster packs then you won't get the full experience. I want a game to be developed with a start and a finish in mind instead of being developed with a start and an open end to shoe-horn in DLC. This is not to say that all DLC is bad because it most certainly is not. I just hate the idea of games developed with the DLC in mind the whole time and the base game suffers because of it. I love additional story elements and some games do them well (GTA IV, Borderlands, RE5 just for Lost in Nightmares, and more) but there are plenty of instances where we buy the base game and have to buy the missing pieces of it seperately just to make it whole.

    I hate that there is not a huge push for big publishers and developers to create new IPs. I love my current franchises but I am always wanting a new experience. Now developers are making games with multi-million dollar budgets and staff that exceeds 300+ (see Resident Evil 6) but they can churn out the most copy-and-paste experiences. Part of this problem are the developers and publishers needing to make an extra dollar (or whatever) off of the customers buying established franchises that are guaranteed to sell. They are unwilling to take risks but I understand that. The other half of this problem is with us, the consumers. I've read several posts in this thread about people who miss being surprised by a game and they feel like they never really find a new game. We need to be willing to take risks as a consumer if we expect developers/publishers to do the same. One great example of a gem that was released but nobody took a risk on was Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. It was an absolutely amazing game with a likable story and fun gameplay. It could have gone on to be a franchise and make more money for Namco Bandai. Instead, it sold moderately at best and it was glazed over by most gamers. It's still one of the games I recommend to people looking for a fresh experience. We buy too much into the "big name" games and ignore the ones that are put out but we don't recognize.

    Youtube and gaming news sites are great for consumers so that we may make informed decisions but they are inadvertintly detrimental to our ability to be surprised. I have taken to the habit of only watching ONE trailer for a game and seeing if i'm interested in it. You'll see as the game draws closer and closer to release there are several trailers releases, full length articles for every scrap of news, and people posting videos of copies that have broken street date. It's almost impossible to avoid taking a risk in today's gaming culture because of all the resources available to us. Games don't get a chance to surprise us anymore. I wish developers/publishers would hold back on a lot of information regarding their games. Let us be surprised. Don't announce every single feature of a game just to push initial sales.

    I miss when developers were working with the idea of selling their games on innovation, not a pre-established name. I love my AAA titles but I couldn't stand to buy only them. Gaming would be boring to me if I didn't.
    PS3/Vita/PS4: x13ucketHeaDx | X360: x13ucketHeaDx | Steam: x13ucketHeaDx

    "Kaz... I'm already a demon."

  3. #43
    -i- love myself.
    Qurb's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Dark Fantasy
    Posts
    3,724
    Reputation
    158

    This guy..


  4. #44
    Rangers F.C
    UNCLEPAULIE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,856
    Reputation
    109

    I miss when about five of my mates and me would sit and play the original Resident Evil , we would play on a life each basis so we would all be sucked into it , at that time there was nothing like this ever in gaming and to this day when the first zombie you encounter eats the guy then the blood spills on the rug and the zombie turns round is still my favourite moment in gaming . If you had seen it all before this would be nothing but at the time it was epic and opened up a whole new world of gaming .



    Must admit don't remember ever seeing a head and still go back and play the original 3 now and again
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

    I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

    To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge


  5. #45
    Galaxy beauty pirate
    Artemis's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,464
    Reputation
    216

    I miss oldskool Jrpg's like Secret of Mana, Zelda a link to the past, Breath of fire etc. etc.
    They had a special feeling and those games look simple, but weren't simple if that makes sense.
    Sig by Ramon

  6. #46
    Rangers F.C
    UNCLEPAULIE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,856
    Reputation
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I miss oldskool Jrpg's like Secret of Mana, Zelda a link to the past, Breath of fire etc. etc.
    They had a special feeling and those games look simple, but weren't simple if that makes sense.
    Have never played a JRPG in my life but hear a lot of people liking them , what would be a good one to play ? it would have to be a recent one and if I found a love for it would back track into the genre
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

    I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

    To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge


  7. #47
    PRO Member
    User011010's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    6th Circle
    Posts
    1,241
    Reputation
    79

    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Have never played a JRPG in my life but hear a lot of people liking them , what would be a good one to play ? it would have to be a recent one and if I found a love for it would back track into the genre
    Neither have I, wouldn't Final Fantasy be one? Thats fairly recent.

    Avatar by Pancake Model



    Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18




    Platinum Bar by dsluckay

  8. #48
    Galaxy beauty pirate
    Artemis's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Here
    Posts
    1,464
    Reputation
    216

    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Have never played a JRPG in my life but hear a lot of people liking them , what would be a good one to play ? it would have to be a recent one and if I found a love for it would back track into the genre
    I find this question pretty hard to answer since the Jrpg's you have now are pretty different from the older ones. Final Fantasy 13 is very different from the older ones I've played (7, 8, 9). Some people like the changes and other people hate it. Lot of different opinions on that one. I for example really disliked 13 but I loved 13-2, because it had some changes compared to the first part.

    Jrpg's who remind me a bit more about the older ones are Star Ocean and Tales of Graces f. The battle system isn't turn-based though, but active (however it's called). Jrpg's are different from Rpg's. The style of the game can be turn-off for some people. If you're aiming for platinum, then get ready for a 500+ (so I heard) hours platinum if you pick Star Ocean.
    Sig by Ramon

  9. #49
    PRO-M Thanks 2 NeroRadec!
    Chaotically-Epic's Avatar


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Mainly gaming on PC now.
    Posts
    2,905
    Reputation
    72

    I miss the times when gaming was just simply put, for fun. Now it's about graphics, replayability this & value that. $60 bucks oh noes etc. I find myself playing a lot of older titles lately like KOTOR rather then picking up something new. In fact, I just bought XCOM & I'm deeply enjoying yet, aside from that I haven't bought a new game since BF3. Titles are too mainstream & milked for money, I feel the gamer is just being crushed into submission w. DLC & online passes, the list goes on. For example, there was an article I read about the ability to allow modding from the fans for XCOM but the company behind the game said..

    XCOM: Enemy Unknown mods - Firaxis still coy about support

    “It’s something that we’d like to resolve going forward, but we still have quite a few things on our plate that have been planned for a while,”
    In other words, how about after our DLC..then you guys can make stuff for free.

    Signature by DaRe_xLw





  10. #50
    Rangers F.C
    UNCLEPAULIE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,856
    Reputation
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by Chaotically-Epic View Post
    I miss the times when gaming was just simply put, for fun. Now it's about graphics, replayability this & value that. $60 bucks oh noes etc. I find myself playing a lot of older titles lately like KOTOR rather then picking up something new. In fact, I just bought XCOM & I'm deeply enjoying yet, aside from that I haven't bought a new game since BF3. Titles are too mainstream & milked for money, I feel the gamer is just being crushed into submission w. DLC & online passes, the list goes on. For example, there was an article I read about the ability to allow modding from the fans for XCOM but the company behind the game said..

    XCOM: Enemy Unknown mods - Firaxis still coy about support



    In other words, how about after our DLC..then you guys can make stuff for free.
    Agreed , the last game I bought was Doom BFG as well . I am trying a new style of gaming for myself I am no longer focusing on trophies at all and no longer buying games . I have opened an account with Lovefilm and have got the unlimited package where I can have 2 titles at home at a time and swap once done as many times as I like and so far its excellent for only 12 a month .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

    I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

    To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge


  11. #51
    Dull Ember
    Elpoko's Avatar


    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Donkeytown
    Posts
    323
    Reputation
    117

    Nothing. To me games are better now than they have ever been. I've been gaming for 25 years and I get more enjoyment now than ever before.

  12. #52
    Rangers F.C
    UNCLEPAULIE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,856
    Reputation
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
    I find this question pretty hard to answer since the Jrpg's you have now are pretty different from the older ones. Final Fantasy 13 is very different from the older ones I've played (7, 8, 9). Some people like the changes and other people hate it. Lot of different opinions on that one. I for example really disliked 13 but I loved 13-2, because it had some changes compared to the first part.

    Jrpg's who remind me a bit more about the older ones are Star Ocean and Tales of Graces f. The battle system isn't turn-based though, but active (however it's called). Jrpg's are different from Rpg's. The style of the game can be turn-off for some people. If you're aiming for platinum, then get ready for a 500+ (so I heard) hours platinum if you pick Star Ocean.
    Not interested in the platinum I am finished with trophies , I am interested in the genre I love RPG games and I notice you said JRPG's are very different but am still interested cause I might love them , worst case is I don't like them no big deal but if I do like them it opens up another gaming genre to me
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

    I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

    To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge


  13. #53
    Lvl 6 - Silver
    Cheeseclown's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Colorado
    Posts
    446
    Reputation
    9

    I miss how not that many games have couch co-op anymore and I also miss the games that took weeks to beat not hours

  14. #54
    Lvl 9 - Gold
    parkerdip's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    England
    Posts
    1,212
    Reputation
    30

    There are things I miss about last gen gaming such as split screen play which doesn't seem to be in any games now and certain games like Spyro and Crash bandicoot from my childhood as examples.

    But there are many things about this gen which make it my favourite as I seem to have the most fun now than before. I have the best collection of games than I have ever had and I am really enjoying this gen and don't want it to end. I see this as my prime years for gaming

    2007 - present!

  15. #55
    Rangers F.C
    UNCLEPAULIE's Avatar


    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    2,856
    Reputation
    109

    Quote Originally Posted by parkerdip View Post
    There are things I miss about last gen gaming such as split screen play which doesn't seem to be in any games now and certain games like Spyro and Crash bandicoot from my childhood as examples.

    But there are many things about this gen which make it my favourite as I seem to have the most fun now than before. I have the best collection of games than I have ever had and I am really enjoying this gen and don't want it to end. I see this as my prime years for gaming

    2007 - present!
    Lol my new 3DTV has a feature for split screen where you both ware a set of glasses A-B and it gives you the full screen for both people and have been wanting to try it out but don't know any games with split screen .



    Just found one from video lol
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

    I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

    To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge


  16. #56
    Lvl 7 - Gold
    Mihalick's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    780
    Reputation
    42

    I miss when games were made for you and at most 3 of your friends in person, not tailored to play with a bunch of 14 year old douche canoes online and getting a subpar single player campaign.

    MY PLATINUM CARD ONLY ANIMATES IF YOU'RE USING FIREFOX, AS IT'S AN ANIMATED PNG FILE


  17. #57
    Lvl 3 - Bronze


    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    144
    Reputation
    2

    Ummmm, problem with the young generation. I appreciate every game I get, I see something I want, and once I work for the money needed to get the game I get it for pure enjoyment, not just trophies.

  18. #58
    NCBE
    Despair's Avatar


    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    239
    Reputation
    13

    Originality.
    Most games were good as their original style, but some series end up changing, because they want to attract new school games.

    Example: Splinter Cell

  19. #59
    PRO Member


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    323
    Reputation
    19

    Quote Originally Posted by UNCLEPAULIE View Post
    Not interested in the platinum I am finished with trophies , I am interested in the genre I love RPG games and I notice you said JRPG's are very different but am still interested cause I might love them , worst case is I don't like them no big deal but if I do like them it opens up another gaming genre to me
    Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 are all available on PSN (just $10 here in USA), as well as many other classic JRPGs. I haven't played 8 yet but they are all highly praised. White Knight Chronicles is an example of a JRPG on the current gen, although it has more MMO elements. 3D Dot Game Heroes is another one that's very reminiscent of Zelda.
    Currently working on: FFX HD

    Platinums (28): 3D Dot Game Heroes, Borderlands, de Blob 2, FIFA 14, FF XIII, FF XIII-2, inFAMOUS, Jak 1, Jak 2, Jak 3, LittleBigPlanet, LittleBigPlanet 2, Medieval Moves, ModNation Racers, PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale, Racquet Sports, Ratchet & Clank Future: A Crack in Time, Rayman Legends, Rayman Origins, Sly 1, Sly 2, Sly 3, Sorcery, Sports Champions, Sports Champions 2, Tiger Woods PGA Tour Golf 12: The Masters, Trine 2, WipEout HD

    Trophy Checklist

    Trophy Guides:
    Racquet Sports

  20. #60
    Resident PHD
    dr_mayus's Avatar


    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Winnipeg
    Posts
    3,803
    Reputation
    459

    Quote Originally Posted by mjglover View Post
    Final Fantasy 7, 8, and 9 are all available on PSN (just $10 here in USA), as well as many other classic JRPGs. I haven't played 8 yet but they are all highly praised. White Knight Chronicles is an example of a JRPG on the current gen, although it has more MMO elements. 3D Dot Game Heroes is another one that's very reminiscent of Zelda.
    Final Fantasy 6 and 5 are also available and those are two of the best Final Fantasies around

    AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 4.1.10
Copyright © 2018 vBulletin Solutions, Inc. All rights reserved.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO