Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

What do you miss the most in gaming today ?

This is a discussion on What do you miss the most in gaming today ? within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; It can be anything , a particular controller , console design , old school gameplay , your style of play ...

Rangers F.C

What do you miss the most in gaming today ?

It can be anything , a particular controller , console design , old school gameplay , your style of play , a character who is gone , pretty much anything

For me the thing I miss the most would be gaming before trophies or at least before I collected them and my Sega Mega Drive playing Alex the Kid , had played computers before this but remember this console and game the most lol its even got easy volume control , look how far we have come

Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Deathless Destroyer

I miss the days where trophies didn't determine how successful of a gamer a player is.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I miss when games were good.
    Truly, we live in the age of shitty games.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by owltalon012 View Post
    I miss when games were good.
    Why do you play if you don't enjoy games any more ?

Puns always intended.

One dimension short of being in a 3D game.

I miss the days before casual gamers became the deciding factor in everything publishers do, to be fair, they still put out shitty things back then too but they were not shitty because of tacked on MP, wavy controller options and a lack of singleplayer goodness because the Iphone crowd think it's the in thing.
    I used to dream of having multiplayer options in so many games years ago, now i wonder if i was being stupid.

Rangers F.C

Quote Originally Posted by Larrydavidsavatar View Post
    I miss the days before casual gamers became the deciding factor in everything publishers do, to be fair, they still put out shitty things back then too but they were not shitty because of tacked on MP, wavy controller options and a lack of singleplayer goodness because the Iphone crowd think it's the in thing.
    I used to dream of having multiplayer options in so many games years ago, now i wonder if i was being stupid.
    Yeah , it seems every big game has the exact same things now like loads of big action scenes where you watch not play the game ( maybe press the odd button ) and the games are to easy with no skill involved the MP on games is always shit IMO and has many trophies to force people to buy on-line passes , its obvious they do this to appeal to everyone but its not the case they make some gamers turn away . If they make a game thats got something a bit different and take a chance like Heavy Rain and many others the people who purchase it on release may be smaller than say COD but over time if a game is great and word gets around it will sell well in the end . Just wish they would take more chances but its too much cost involved now so they want a sure thing .

PRO Member

I personally think games are better now than they ever have been. If there is one thing I miss it would have to be the Japanese gaming market. WE just don't get any AAA RPGs from Japan anymore and it is really sad. Even their popular franchises like Final Fantasy have become a shadow of their former self.

Sig by Bladia

Lvl 9 - Gold

i miss just the simplicity of a game, in terms of games get published cuz theyre good, not cuz theyre gonna be popular. frikkin Call of Doody "Lets Put the Same Thing Into Almost 10 Games, Slap A New Name On Each One, & Swim In the Profits!"

PRO Member

If there is one thing I miss it's all the smack talk, I mean I wish there was more smack talking happenning. Awww, I could remember the day like it was yesterday...I would happily wake up and stroll down the stairs, ready to sit down, grab a bite and play a nice online round of MW2. I would take the disc out, gently place it in the console, sign-in and get my character ready. Giddily I couldn't want for the spawn, as I think about where I may hide or which weapon to choose.

As my character spawns, I walk a few steps and BLAM!!! Head shot, instant kill, over the mic I hear some snot nosed kid, tell me that was his younger, dumber, uglier sister that just got her first head shot, "Nice job Ace, you're doing great" was what I heard the young girl say...

Yes, we need more of that

That and Battletoads!!!

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Prayer Warrior

i miss the generation of gaming where we played because it was fun...... not to climb a stupid leaderbord and try to get the most plats. trophies has ruined gaming as a whole. it's sad that people now base their buying decisions off what has the easiest plat and not what is the funnest to play. gamers now a days....especially the younger generation......are spoiled little brats that don't know how to appercaite a real game and what it means to truly be a gamer.

ps3trophies.com member since April 2009

illegal in 9 countries

Depth of gameplay. I have Commodore 64 games that are far more complex than any game you'll find today.

As an example, I'm currently playing and thoroughly enjoying XCOM: Enemy Unknown. But the strategy later is significantly dumbed-down compared to the 1994 original. I also have an NFL game on tape on C64 with a more in-depth player chart, draft system and career mode than any Madden game.

Older games had some more challenging aspects to make up for their visual shortfalls. That said, you can speedrun through the original X-Com in 13 minutes whereas you need to commit at least 150 hours for the XCOM PS3 plat. So it's all swings and roundabouts and I more than get my money's worth from this generation of games.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    i miss the generation of gaming where we played because it was fun...... not to climb a stupid leaderbord and try to get the most plats. trophies has ruined gaming as a whole. it's sad that people now base their buying decisions off what has the easiest plat and not what is the funnest to play. gamers now a days....especially the younger generation......are spoiled little brats that don't know how to appercaite a real game and what it means to truly be a gamer.
    That is such a small percentage of gamers though. I am the only one out of my friends that cares about trophies. But I will never buy a game just because it has an easy plat. And I am a younger gamer, but consider myself a "true" gamer. Whatever the hell that means. Just because we are young does not mean that we can't appreciate a game. I cried at the end of MGS4 and Infamous 2. I put hundreds of hours into Kingdom Hearts and will again when the HD Collection comes out not just because of the trophies, but because I absolutely love that game with all my heart

Sig by Bladia

Lord of all Goat-Men

I miss when the only Multiplayer that came with a game was 4-player split-screen like Timesplitters and Crash Bash, and when games were actually improved with the addition of co-op, like Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (and unlike Resident Evil 5 and 6).

Lvl 4 - Silver

i miss the days where games would have 4 or 5 gold trophies now they just have 1, why?!?

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Sparx View Post
    I agree with Johnny. It is getting to the point where this brats, oops I mean so called vags, I mean gamers care to much about the real meaning of just playing because you want to. I personally miss having to walk our ass over to our friend's home to play a MP game.

Forget I Was Ever Here

I agree with what some folks have already said in here by having a more complex game and to take away the Mp mode that shouldn't be added into a game because of the casual gamers. I like that there isn't so many side scrolling games though.

What I really miss though is when there was no guides granted I do use them every now and then but if you get stuck it's the point the developers were trying to make by solving it yourself and not looking on youtube video or somewhere else. You just don't see puzzle games like that anymore like the original Re series and Silent Hills.

It is time for me to go underground

Ice Cream Firefighter

For me it's the element of Surprise that I miss. IMO we are spoilt with todays technology/information so we know exactly what to expect from a game, months before it's even available. (thats value for money though)

When I first started gaming YouTube wasn't even a thought. No gaming magazines & games never had tv advertising either, so buying games was like Russian Roulette. Most of the time you won as most games were gems back then but occasionally you bit the bullet & bought a shit one..... too bad, so sad. But when you did have that gem of a game, every stage was exciting & new & just WOW, if you couldn't finish a stage that was it, the end.

(I played the Sega's built in Alex the Kidd loved it but never made it to the end of the game)

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by great_daze_tazer View Post
    For me it's the element of Surprise that I miss. IMO we are spoilt with todays technology/information so we know exactly what to expect from a game, months before it's even available. (thats value for money though)

When I first started gaming YouTube wasn't even a thought. No gaming magazines & games never had tv advertising either, so buying games was like Russian Roulette. Most of the time you won as most games were gems back then but occasionally you bit the bullet & bought a shit one..... too bad, so sad. But when you did have that gem of a game, every stage was exciting & new & just WOW, if you couldn't finish a stage that was it, the end.
    I sort of agree. In some cases I got a game like Shatterhand and in others i got a game like Robocop 3

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Fox
    Si vis bellum, para pacem

I can tell you something I DON'T miss - the insane commercials of the time. Like this. ( Seriously, who was that geared towards? Sociopaths? ) I also don't miss the insane price tags.

What I do miss, is the sense of discovery games used to have because you didn't really have the internet to go to for every little roadblock that came your way. No Trophy Guides, no GameFAQS, nothing - just an issue of Nintendo Power, EGM or GameInformer every month that may or may not have had a walkthrough or some cheat codes for the game you were playing.

You either had to figure it out on your own, use a magazine strategy, or go out and drop $20 - $30 on a strategy guide. There were a few who were lucky enough to have an internet connection at home, but it wasn't exactly popular yet, and sites like GameFAQS and GameSages [Now IGN] were fledgling at best.

It was a lot more fun, and the challenge felt a lot more satisfying because you did it yourself, no help.

The other thing I miss - not knowing every waking moment what was coming out for the next five years. Falls into the same thing as above - the media outlets were just limited, and it made waiting for news on a game that much more fun ( Or frustrating, depending on your view ). I always laugh at people who now complain when a trailer isn't shown within five minutes of a games announcement on Youtube, or when a game hasn't had any news for a week - it wasn't always so easy, or plentiful.

ReviewHaven PC Fund: $4.90 // $525.27 [ DONATE ]

PATREON \\ CURIOOS \\ BEHANCE \\ VENOMGRAPHICS \\ REVIEWHAVEN

Ice Cream Firefighter

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    I sort of agree. In some cases I got a game like Shatterhand and in others i got a game like Robocop 3
    I saved up & bought a gladiator game for $50 & it was so crap that a piece shit would say thats crap. (can't even remember it's name, on SNES) but I bought the Aerosmith SNES shooter for $10 & it was just EPIC.

PS3/PS4/PSVita
    great_daze_tazer
    Xbone
    GreatDazeTazer

Now Playing
    FFXIV A Realm Reborn
    Infamous Second Son
    Lego Titles

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast