Voters
36. You may not vote on this poll
  • Demon's Souls

20 55.56%
  • Dark Souls

16 44.44%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Which is harder: Demon's or Dark Souls

This is a discussion on Which is harder: Demon's or Dark Souls within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; So this came up with a couple guys I know on PSN. We want to know, from the community, which ...

MK Plat = Overrated

Which is harder: Demon's or Dark Souls

So this came up with a couple guys I know on PSN. We want to know, from the community, which of the two game are more difficult. Now, I guess you can judge them by overall difficulty: easiest to die in, most frustrating, hardest to progress in the story, hardest to plat. Let's not factor in glitches or anything like that which may make progressing more frustrating and whatnot.

Leave a brief description if you feel like it. Would be nice if both games were on your trophy list too. Makes the poll more credible.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Demon's. I didn't get anywhere in it. 0% trophies in it.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I think they are very similar in difficulty but maybe dark souls is a little bit harder due to how the magic system works and the odd area like the tomb of giants... Hated that.

'You're a soldier! Finish your mission! Show your loyalty! Face me.'

PRO Member

I voted for Dark Souls. I think Demon's Souls was more difficult at the beginning, but got gradually easier as you went along. I think Dark Souls stayed pretty consistent in difficulty.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by RexHound View Post
    I think they are very similar in difficulty but maybe dark souls is a little bit harder due to how the magic system works and the odd area like the tomb of giants... Hated that.
    I never went through an area so slow in my life. I was taking baby steps the entire time my first time through.

Lvl 3 - Bronze

I have platinum for both games but if i am going to choose one which is harder i would say Demons Souls.
    Demons Souls introduces first time players to it's shear difficulty and many of those first time players will cry in the end.

Closing this account

Demons Souls was harder IMO due to my inability to not comprehend the game in my first 2 playthroughs. I had to ask and search for a lot of questions. Dark Souls was plain and simple in a way. Demons Souls bosses are harder when you do them by yourself.

Negator

This is a loaded question, with so many aspects of each game to take into consideration.

Dark Souls had areas deliberately designed to frustrate you and kill you repeatedly. Demon's Souls was more straight forward as far as level design goes, and the 'instant death' situations were usually your own fault. For this, I'd say Dark Souls takes the cake.

The weapons in Demon's Souls weren't as varied as they were in Dark Souls, but thankfully, the weapons in Demon's Souls were actually more useful as stand-alone equipment. Practically every weapon (for me at least) I used in Dark Souls felt under-powered, even when my stats were geared towards that particular 'brand' of weapon...I never felt like a punk in Demon's Souls...ever. Again, Dark Souls ends up being more difficult.

Upgrading weapons is clearly a major component of the game. Purestones and chunks were always a pain to grind in Demon's Souls, especially the elusive Pure Bladestone. Slabs and other forging materials were readily available in Dark Souls, giving you early options for weapon upgrade paths. While Dark Souls had a larger array of weapons to collect (for trophies), I still give this category to Demon's Souls.

With such a uniquely rich multiplayer experience, It's hard not to mention the invasions on these games while playing online. These black phantoms wanting nothing more than to ruin your life, forcing themselves onto you in competitive combat will quickly bring a new level of difficulty. Demon's Souls PvP (player vs player) seemed much more balanced and skill-based, whereas Dark Souls combat seemed to revolve too much around cheap combat tricks to conquer opponents. Duplicating weapons for PvP characters became the norm across both games, but being able to give your entire inventory to a brand new character made Dark Souls invasions much more dangerous and grief-filled. Hands down, Dark Souls is definitely more difficult online.

Since you can't be invaded in Dark Souls while in 'hollow' form, you're likely to spend much of your time as a zombie-esc shell of a human. The only real downside to being hollow is you couldn't stoke bonfires to replenish more Estus. Soul Form in Demon's Souls removed a third of your health. This may not seem like a big loss, but in the early stages of the game, this can complicate practically every confrontation with an enemy. So, you run around in Body Form, eh? Risking the same invasions you would on Dark Souls, but if you die while in Body Form, you make that 'world' of the game more difficult. So, dying repeatedly in Body Form will continue to make the game even harder, at the price of better enemy drops. Weighing the downsides to each game, it's clear (to me at least) that Demon's Souls had a higher difficulty.

Overall, I feel the games are extremely similar in difficulty, but Dark Souls gets my official vote.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Harvester of Souls

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post
    This is a loaded question, with so many aspects of each game to take into consideration.

Dark Souls had areas deliberately designed to frustrate you and kill you repeatedly. Demon's Souls was more straight forward as far as level design goes, and the 'instant death' situations were usually your own fault. For this, I'd say Dark Souls takes the cake.

The weapons in Demon's Souls weren't as varied as they were in Dark Souls, but thankfully, the weapons in Demon's Souls were actually more useful as stand-alone equipment. Practically every weapon (for me at least) I used in Dark Souls felt under-powered, even when my stats were geared towards that particular 'brand' of weapon...I never felt like a punk in Demon's Souls...ever. Again, Dark Souls ends up being more difficult.

Upgrading weapons is clearly a major component of the game. Purestones and chunks were always a pain to grind in Demon's Souls, especially the elusive Pure Bladestone. Slabs and other forging materials were readily available in Dark Souls, giving you early options for weapon upgrade paths. While Dark Souls had a larger array of weapons to collect (for trophies), I still give this category to Demon's Souls.

With such a uniquely rich multiplayer experience, It's hard not to mention the invasions on these games while playing online. These black phantoms wanting nothing more than to ruin your life, forcing themselves onto you in competitive combat will quickly bring a new level of difficulty. Demon's Souls PvP (player vs player) seemed much more balanced and skill-based, whereas Dark Souls combat seemed to revolve too much around cheap combat tricks to conquer opponents. Duplicating weapons for PvP characters became the norm across both games, but being able to give your entire inventory to a brand new character made Dark Souls invasions much more dangerous and grief-filled. Hands down, Dark Souls is definitely more difficult online.

Since you can't be invaded in Dark Souls while in 'hollow' form, you're likely to spend much of your time as a zombie-esc shell of a human. The only real downside to being hollow is you couldn't stoke bonfires to replenish more Estus. Soul Form in Demon's Souls removed a third of your health. This may not seem like a big loss, but in the early stages of the game, this can complicate practically every confrontation with an enemy. So, you run around in Body Form, eh? Risking the same invasions you would on Dark Souls, but if you die while in Body Form, you make that 'world' of the game more difficult. So, dying repeatedly in Body Form will continue to make the game even harder, at the price of better enemy drops. Weighing the downsides to each game, it's clear (to me at least) that Demon's Souls had a higher difficulty.

Overall, I feel the games are extremely similar in difficulty, but Dark Souls gets my official vote.
    ^^^^ Agree with everything Helyx said. > Dark Souls definitely takes the difficulty here.

HOSTED BY GREAT DAZE TAZER!!!!! COME JOIN THE MAYHEM!!!

Guide Bar Created by Ds_luckay

KCCO!

Quote Originally Posted by Helyx View Post

Couldn't have put it better myself.

Legendary...Nuff Said

Dark Souls was harder overall, but I preferred Demon's Souls in terms of difficulty because it was a more fair system. The game itself was difficult, but any mistakes you made were always caused by yourself. With Dark Souls I often felt cheated into death by a multitude of different things (Curse status when you don't expect it, etc). Dark Souls is harder, but it isn't as 'true' (if that makes sense) in hardcore difficulty.

deviantART | Gifts | SOTM XXXVI
    Circumstances may change, but circumcisions are forever.

PRO Member

Dark Souls.

Much of the difficulty in Demon's was due to it being a newer type of game. Learning how the game works and what to expect from it. Many of my deaths were from entering a new area, not knowing the enemies, and dying due to traps. Once you've learned how to approach the game, it was much easier while still being difficult.

Dark Souls took the same approach and pushed it a little further. Even playing and beating the previous game numerous times, you will still have trouble with the game. The reasoning I believe is that they tried to remove the "familiarize the approach" aspect which made the first easier. It was just flat out difficult. Enemies are quicker and more violent, bosses were scaled up and more devastating, and the stages were much more drastic and designed to push the player by making them monitor everything happening. The survival aspect was definitely emphasized more-so this time around as-well.
    YouTube: Sk3pT1kaL

MK Plat = Overrated

Wow....so far, the poll is dead even. 9 - 9.

I just started Demon's Souls tonight. Holy shit, it's hard. Of course, I am just getting used to it. Also, I did just get done playing Dead Space (part one) which was a piss easy game.

Lvl 4 - Silver

Dark Souls for sure. Demon's Souls becomes a pice of cake once you get the Demonbrand or Northern Regalia, even on playthough + with that weapon and with the extra bonus for pure white tendency you kill almost everything in one hit.

Dark Souls Boss Battles are also way harder than Demon's Souls. Ornstein and Smough is a good example.

Huge Gaming Backlog

Demons Souls: This one was harder for me because I didn't know what I was getting into. I did 7 playthroughs before I got the the plat. Collecting all the weapons and stones were much harder to come by for me.

Dark Souls: When I started this game I was fully aware of the mechanics and the risks in the game. The use of Bonfires (checkpoints) made it it a lot easier. The bosses in Dark Souls weren't any harder but they weren't any easier. I also found the weapons and the stones were much easier to find.

Both games are awesome and would be in my top 5.

Wicked Slipknot Sig and Avy by Shadow Guru: Kid420247

Lvl 3 - Bronze

Imo I think Demon's was harder, probably because by the time I got Dark I had already spent over 500 hours on Demon's so I more or less knew what to expect
    Surgeon Of Death

Dull Ember

This is a difficult question to answer. Both games are hard to master but if you have played Demon's first you have an advantage over newcomers when playing Dark as they are very similar in combat/character development/weapon enhancement. My EU Demon's Souls platinum took me 190 hours,US Platinum took me 35 so it clearly gets easier with experience. My Dark Souls Platinum took 110 hours but I found it more difficult due to the covenant requirements. I vote for Demon's as the harder game due to world/character tendency which is a nightmare to get your head around. But to say that one game is easier isn't fair as they are both tough games it just depends on which you play first. Get stuck in and don't take no sh*t off nobody.

Rangers F.C

Would agree with the others that Demons Souls introduced you to the nightmare but I am sitting hear thinking about it and they both offer the same difficulty at the start and the games gets easier as you level up , have only got the platinum for Dark Souls but have finished both games on multiple playthroughs and I have to say its a draw because they both offer different but rewarding challenges , for me a draw .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 4 - Silver

Demon souls was harder to me
    1) When you died you lost half your health until you killed a boss
    2) Weapon upgrades were in general harder to do (Especially bladestone)
    3) The Maneaters boss exist in this game (Gargoyles in dark souls had less health and were in a larger area)
    4) Getting attacked by black phantoms you didn't expect to see because you were in pure black world tendency and didn't realise it
    5) Dark souls get's a warping system that let's you appear fairly close to bosses

MK Plat = Overrated

Quote Originally Posted by Elpoko View Post
    This is a difficult question to answer. Both games are hard to master but if you have played Demon's first you have an advantage over newcomers when playing Dark as they are very similar in combat/character development/weapon enhancement. My EU Demon's Souls platinum took me 190 hours,US Platinum took me 35 so it clearly gets easier with experience. My Dark Souls Platinum took 110 hours but I found it more difficult due to the covenant requirements. I vote for Demon's as the harder game due to world/character tendency which is a nightmare to get your head around. But to say that one game is easier isn't fair as they are both tough games it just depends on which you play first. Get stuck in and don't take no sh*t off nobody.
    Yea, I don't think I would call any game easier than the other. I just wanted to know which was harder. It's like, one is hard and the other harder. Not one is hard and the other easier.

I'm definitely getting my ass handed to me in Demon's at the moment. I haven't played a good RPG in ages, let alone an action/RPG. However, it is fun.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast