Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base

This is a discussion on PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; Developers are currently taking receipt of a new PlayStation 4 dev kit, VG247 has been told today, with a final ...

illegal in 9 countries

PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base

Developers are currently taking receipt of a new PlayStation 4 dev kit, VG247 has been told today, with a final version slated to appear in January. Yes, it’ll have Blu-ray. No, it isn’t being made in Japan.

Multiple sources have confirmed to VG247 today that a new version of the Orbis kit is now shipping to developers, and that it’s housed in a normal PC case.

There are to be four versions of the dev kit, we were told. A previous version was essentially just a graphics card. The version shipping now is a “modified PC,” and the third version, appearing in January, will be close to final spec. A final version will be delivered to developers “next summer”.

Some US developers attended a “disclosure meeting” at Sony’s offices this week, with a further meeting to take place in the coming weeks. The purpose of the meeting is for Sony to tell studios what the machine is designed to do, to detail hardware and to show a set of presentations.

Our source told us that Sony is only calling the machine Orbis, and is not using the words “PlayStation 4″ in these meetings at all.

Orbis, we were told today, is based on the AMD’s A10 APU series. An APU (Accelerated Processing Unit) is a combined CPU and GPU.

PS4′s APU was described today as a “derivative” of existing A10 hardware. The hardware is “based on A10 system and base platform”.

The “ultimate goal” for the hardware, we were told, is for it to be able to run 1080p60 games in 3D with “no problem,” to create a machine that’s powerful enough for “today and tomorrow’s market”.

The dev kits have “either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.”

The hardware is not being made in Japan, it was said.

When asked if PS4 will have an optical drive, specifically Blu-ray, our source responded: “Of course it has.” We’ve been told the hard drive will be 256Gb “as standard,” but it’s not clear if it’ll be a normal HDD or a solid state drive.

We were told that Sony’s aim with Orbis is to avoid problems involved in launching PS3 by creating something “very affordable” but that “isn’t a slouch”.

The machine has WiFi and Ethernet connectivity and HDMI out. Our source said the was “no difference” between PlayStation 3 and Orbis input/output.

The UI, however, has been revamped. It was said today that players will now be able to press the PS button mid-game and travel “anywhere” on the system. An example given was buying DLC from the PS Store mid-game then seamlessly returning to play.

“They’re trying to make it as fluid as possible,” our source said.

We were also told that the machine will be designed to accept system and product updates in the background, and that it’ll “always be in standby mode”. When you set the console up, we were told, you’ll be asked if you want to allow background downloads. You can, of course, disallow them.

No details have been given on the pad as yet. Confirmation is expected this month.

Orbis is expected to be announced at an event “just before E3″ next year.

Source - PS4: new kits shipping now, AMD A10 used as base | VG247
    2014 launch?

★ Extra Astronomical ★

Lots of good things

Lvl 8 - Gold

Though I'm happy with my PS3 I wouldn't mind a 2014 PS4 launch. That feels just about right

INTJ

“either 8Gb or 16Gb of RAM. Deduce from that what you will.”

damn thats alot of ram for a console

my computer right now has 16 gbs.

too bad the A10 kinda sucks

http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?...D+A10-5700+APU

R.I.P Ps3 02/01/14 :(

I ain't going to lie, some, if not all of the technical stuff just flew straight over my head, haven't got a clue lol. But this is news none the less and it sounds good

Sig and avy by the awesomely talented stupot00 and GDT bar by the excellent djunglist

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by john3007 View Post
    I ain't going to lie, some, if not all of the technical stuff just flew straight over my head, haven't got a clue lol. But this is news none the less and it sounds good
    Well the usual gaming pc usually has 8GB of ram along with a i5/i7 Processor.

the CPU will be it's weak point but it's basically the equivalent of a 2009-2010 gaming computer.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Ps360 View Post
    damn thats alot of ram for a consol

my computer right now has 16 gbs

too bad the A10 kinda sucks

PassMark - AMD A10-5700 APU - Price performance comparison
    Dev kits have more RAM than retail consoles. I'm guessing 8GB max.

Last rumours we heard they were using A8's, so it's progress at least. And keep in mind the APU will be dedicated to one primary task (gaming) and the PS OS has less overhead than Windows, so they tend to perform better on consoles. Also, it may not be final spec, that's just the base for the dev kit. From a cost / affordability perspective, they'll need to use somewhat outdated components to keep the launch price down.

Considering Sony has stated the PS3 will be supported until at least 2015, late 2014 makes sense as the PS4 launch window to cash in on the holiday season. That's almost 2 full years with the final dev kit, which should be plenty of time for projects already underway.

PRO Member

Damn. Well...imma start saving now.

I do like the seamlessness of being able to go anywhere on the system without quitting...I'm just hoping that I'll be able to play my PS3 games on it :/

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Considering Sony has stated the PS3 will be supported until at least 2015, late 2014 makes sense as the PS4 launch window to cash in on the holiday season. That's almost 2 full years with the final dev kit, which should be plenty of time for projects already underway.
    I agree: everything points out to a late 2014 launch. Although it wouldn't meet their expectactions of the PS3 lasting a decade on it's own, it will still be produced and have games released for it and what-not.

Guess we'll have to keep waiting and see when Sony spills the beans, which might not be until early 2014.

Toggle Spoiler

Social Group of the Year (2011, 2012): Platboy Online.
    Sig by Ramon, so praise the crap out of him.
    My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Breakfast and Chill

The specs sound fairly good, but what would the price be for this?
    Assuming this will release in two years, the price for the internal components should be lower by 2014.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    Assuming this will release in two years, the price for the internal components should be lower by 2014.
    Im guessing $350 to 400-ish? It'll be price-competitive with the next Xbox to avoid the fubar of the current gen.

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by vettes_4-ever View Post
    598 us dollars

sony learned its lesson from the ps3 launch

Lvl 6 - Silver

yep 2014 also came into my mind first

INTJ

they will probably tease it at the 2013 e3 confrence like they did for the ps3 a year before launch.

hopefully banana controller makes a return so the ps3 can finally have a comfy controller.

PRO Member

they will probably tease it at the 2013 e3 confrence like they did for the ps3 a year before launch.

hopefully banana controller makes a return so the ps3 can finally have a comfy controller.
    There's nothing wrong with the current one though...at least for me.

|
    Sig - Initial D - Mazda RX-7 (FC3S)|
    |by Smashguy |

|Avy - Animals As Leaders|

Kiwi Defender

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    Im guessing $350 to 400-ish? It'll be price-competitive with the next Xbox to avoid the fubar of the current gen.
    I was guessing more like $450-$500 at least.

Toggle Spoiler

My posts can be humorous or serious, but it's up to you to decide which posts are which.

Angel of Death

If it does end up being 16 GB of RAM... Holy shit. A10 is okay, they probably could do better, but I don't want another $600 console. I'm content with $400, so A10 is cool with me!

INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by daftprophet View Post
    There's nothing wrong with the current one though...at least for me.
    the problem for me is that it's basically the same design since the PS1. The Ps1 analog sticks were simply tacked on to compete with the nintendo 64 and they haven't made a single improvement since adding vibration and wireless.

not to mention the controller feels too light for me and i don't like how my hands have to be in a certian position to use it well.

the banana Controller was a really well done redesign, but the sony community bitched so much they decided to screw innovative design and appeal to the fans.

Kiwi Defender

the problem for me is that it's basically the same design since the PS1. The Ps1 analog sticks were simply tacked on to compete with the nintendo 64 and they haven't made a single improvement since adding vibration and wireless.

not to mention the controller feels too light for me and i don't like how my hands have to be in a certian position to use it well.

the banana Controller was a really well done redesign, but the sony community bitched so much they decided to screw innovative design and appeal to the fans.
    My only complain would be the R2 and L2 buttons being so sensitive. I can leave my controller on a table and the buttons will be pressed instantly. Kind of screws me over when I'm playing and I decide to rest my hands and the controller on my lap.

And regarding the batarang controller.

Toggle Spoiler

-i- love myself.

16GB RAM! Now that's awesome! This all sounds too good, hopefully they don't sell over $500, that'll be kinda disappointing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast