THQ's Stock Price Plunges Nearly 50% After Disappointing Earnings Call

This is a discussion on THQ's Stock Price Plunges Nearly 50% After Disappointing Earnings Call within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; THQ took to the phones yesterday and offered a brief, unusual earnings call that was mostly full of game delays ...

Retired

THQ's Stock Price Plunges Nearly 50% After Disappointing Earnings Call

THQ took to the phones yesterday and offered a brief, unusual earnings call that was mostly full of game delays and other bad news.
    Today the market reacted and so far, it is very, very unhappy.
    THQ stock has lost nearly half of its value as of this writing. We asked Michael Pachter why, and he had this to say:
    "We calculate that they will run out of cash in less than a year, so that means they need to raise cash in order to stay in business. If [South Park: The Stick of Truth] comes out before then, they will be OK through December or January 2014, but if it is not coming out before June or July, they have a problem."

Many expect that THQ will attempt to remove itself from the stock market altogether by going private. According to Pachter:
    "If they successfully raise capital, the most likely source is a private equity firm. That means that the firm will look to take control, and will have little interest in paying anything to shareholders or creditors. The creditors can prevent a sale and force bankruptcy, so they need to be dealt with. Shareholders are the ones who lose."
    Hence, many shareholders are getting while the getting is good. The real irony here? Pachter actually expected the stock to drop more than it has.
    THQ's Stock Price Plunges Nearly 50% After Disappointing Earnings Call | Side Mission | GameTrailers

I really hope THQ doesn't run out of business, I wish the very best for THQ.

Angel of Death

THQ has been hurting for awhile now. Maybe if Crytek is actually working on Homefront 2, they can make a much better game than the first.

Lvl 10 - Platinum

Ever since they changed their logo and announced better gaming experiences. THQ has went down hill. I don't think it was based on poor games just poor marketing. The Udraw tablet for PS3 and 360 got no TV time that I noticed in Canada and at a 90 dollar price tag that was a big mistake and it didn't help it that Skylanders took off like it did. The other was only having 3 games for it and announcing that they will not launch anymore games for it. It also doesn't help that they also lost the UFC license to EA. They released 16-20 games in 2011 and only 3 sold over a million+ copies (Saints Row the Third, WWE 12 and Homefront) and in todays market and the number of people they employ that just will not cut it. I feel bad for THQ cause they are one of my favs but I think it's over for them seeing next years line up but if Saints Row 4 is better then the third then maybe they can make it deeper into 2014.

Forget I Was Ever Here

Any which way this goes I am saddened…I actually like THQ and their games and I really wish them luck to getting back on their feet as I preorder their games

It is time for me to go underground

-i- love myself.

THQ is a great company that provides great entertaining games for us gamers. I hope they dont go out of business, that'll be sad. Good luck to them!

Rangers F.C

They made the most amazing war game for PC called Company of Hero's hope they don't go tits up would like to play the second instalment in it .
    Would like to thank Google and snipping tool for my amazing sig + avatar

I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE LEARNED ANYTHING FROM ANY MAN WHO AGREED WITH ME

To be conscious that you are ignorant of the facts is a great step to knowledge

Lvl 4 - Silver

Company of Heroes,Saints row,Darksiders. These are all great games itīs just that they have to stop paying for games that wonīt get them money. I am pretty sure that South park won't go really well in sales

PRO Member

THQ should make a PS3 version of Destroy All Humans, that'll put 'em into the black

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by User011010 View Post
    THQ should make a PS3 version of Destroy All Humans, that'll put 'em into the black

Welcome to 2008. It didn't help.

PRO Member

LMAO...oh man, what year is it again

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Resident PHD

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post

Welcome to 2008. It didn't help.
    What was cool though was when I worked at Blockbuster they gave us tons of copies of Plan 9 From Outer Space to give away with preorders of that game. No one preordered it so all the staff took the movies home.

I now own one of the worst movies ever made thanks to THQ

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

An old-fashioned cowboy

It's a shame that THQ finds themselves in this position especially since they make good games. However in this day and age it appears that isn't enough.

I would totally wouldn't mind a HD release of it and DAH2.

illegal in 9 countries

LMAO...oh man, what year is it again
    In case you missed the reference, a Destroy All Humans title was released on PS3 in 2008 and it blew chunks.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by dr_mayus View Post
    What was cool though was when I worked at Blockbuster they gave us tons of copies of Plan 9 From Outer Space to give away with preorders of that game. No one preordered it so all the staff took the movies home.

I now own one of the worst movies ever made thanks to THQ
    LOL, hahahaha

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

An old-fashioned cowboy

Wait was that PS3 version of Destroy All Humans Path of the Furon even released in North America?

Negator

Oh well...hope you can release South Park with little to no negative effect on its quality before you disappear.

Avatar & Sig by djunglist care of Digital Terror // Elite TG bar fabricated by Luckay

Resident PHD

LOL, hahahaha
    Yeah, for a fan of terrible Z-grade films it was kind of cool to own

AWESOME SIG AND AVY BY ALISON CHECK OUT HER WORK HERE

Angel of Death

Quote Originally Posted by SirDrRoger View Post
    Wait was that PS3 version of Destroy All Humans Path of the Furon even released in North America?
    Nope, only in Europe. No trophies either, so I never really felt like importing it. I hear it's filled with glitches.

PRO Member

Saints Row The Third was amazing and silly, just what we needed. I wonder if they're still working on the follow-up. Darksiders is a great series, and it would be unfortunate to never be able to play as the other two horsemen (presuming they'd continue the same formula).

They would be missed if they tanked.
    <signature>
    [Insert garbage no one gives two fucks about]
    </signature>