Sony PS3 Wireless Headset.

This is a discussion on Sony PS3 Wireless Headset. within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I have a question about these headsets, I already have one and I love it so far but my father ...

PRO Member

Sony PS3 Wireless Headset.

I have a question about these headsets, I already have one and I love it so far but my father wants one (to use on his computer).

I was just about to order him one and we were both like WAIT.... hold on a second.. what happens if two of these headsets are both within range of each others USB dongle?

Does each headset know what dongle its connected to or will they interfere? :\

TL;DR: What happens if there are two of these headsets in the house, will they interfere?

Lvl 1 - Bronze

the using different frequency for interference but i am not 100% sure ..

Lvl 1 - Bronze

what do you mean by USB dongle? the loading station? that is nothing more but a piece of plastic, the signal is received directly by your ps3. so if he wants to use it on his pc, he better have some kind of bluetooth on his pc

i think it will work, you will need to pair them with the devices they connect to (like the controllers, you need to plug it in and press the button before you can use it with another ps3)

Deathless Destroyer

The headsets sync with the machine which is using it, so there shouldn't be any form of interference.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

SENNHEISER RS HDR 180 - FTW

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Lvl 2 - Bronze

No worries, it will work fine.

My roommate and I both have them and we have no problems while he's on his PC and I'm on mine or my PS3 (both in the same room, a few feet from each other).

Sidenote: They will NOT, however, work as well if you try to plug them into the same machine. In one instance only one worked, but in another instance, only one source of audio went to one headset while another source of audio went to the other. It was pretty weird.
    Got a YouTube channel? Join our group: http://www.ps3trophies.com/forums/group.php?groupid=109

Making random gameplay videos at the moment.

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheRevRickyD

Message me if you make videos on YouTube or can record a commentary track and want to collaborate on some gameplay/multiplayer together. I'd like to get a group of people together from PS3T's to start making videos.

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by jens108 View Post
    what do you mean by USB dongle? the loading station? that is nothing more but a piece of plastic, the signal is received directly by your ps3. so if he wants to use it on his pc, he better have some kind of bluetooth on his pc

i think it will work, you will need to pair them with the devices they connect to (like the controllers, you need to plug it in and press the button before you can use it with another ps3)

I think you're confused. lol
    The USB dongle picks up the headset... not bluetooth.

If it was bluetooth, it would act as a bluetooth device on the playstation, but it doesn't... it acts as an accessory.

I know this for a fact because my computer doesn't have bluetooth, and it works perfectly with the USB dongle.

I have a diploma in computer and network engineering, I know how it works, apart from when it comes to frequencies, that's when I get a bit eh..

PRO Member

Well no, it technically is a bluetooth device, but its the USB dongle that uses bluetooth the pick up the headset, NOT the ps3/computer.

Good luck hooking up the headset to the PS3 without the USB dongle plugged in haha

Deathless Destroyer

Quote Originally Posted by denyull View Post
    Well no, it technically is a bluetooth device, but its the USB dongle that uses bluetooth the pick up the headset, NOT the ps3/computer.

Good luck hooking up the headset to the PS3 without the USB dongle plugged in haha
    Who was this aimed at?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, | 120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 14 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Who was this aimed at?

Sorry it was an addition to what I said before it, sorry for the confusion! I should have just edited my other post haha.
    It was aimed @ jens108

Lvl 1 - Bronze

alright sorry mate, i think what happened here is we got different headsets?

i just double-checked. i connected mine with the ps3 without plugging in anything USB and it worked fine. it does have both the playstation and the bluetooth logo on it. i do not need to use any usb thing (only for the initial handshake, like with controllers). this is the one im using: Playstation 3 - Bluetooth Headset: Amazon.de: Games

sorry for the confusion

PRO Member

Quote Originally Posted by jens108 View Post
    alright sorry mate, i think what happened here is we got different headsets?

i just double-checked. i connected mine with the ps3 without plugging in anything USB and it worked fine. it does have both the playstation and the bluetooth logo on it. i do not need to use any usb thing (only for the initial handshake, like with controllers). this is the one im using: Playstation 3 - Bluetooth Headset: Amazon.de: Games

sorry for the confusion

Im sorry too. That makes more sense.
    This is the one I have
    PlayStation Wireless Headphones | PS3 Wireless Stereo Headset | PS398085 | Sony USA

Deathless Destroyer

Just a general question about headsets - should I get the Turtle Beach P11 Series or the Official Sony Headset? If there are any other headsets worth it under $100 feel free to let me know. I'm intending to use it just for online chatting and for creating youtube videos.