Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

it only took me forever but...

This is a discussion on it only took me forever but... within the General PS3 Discussion forum, part of the Everything PlayStation; I finally tracked down an old 1st gen PS3 that plays PS2 games! in an old pawn shop in Korea ...

PRO Member

it only took me forever but...

I finally tracked down an old 1st gen PS3 that plays PS2 games! in an old pawn shop in Korea none the less lol

I know its pretty much the only way to play PS2 games on the PS3 but I was wondering how many people out there got one like this? and is it any different after I do a HDD upgrade on it besides being a little fat?

Lvl 7 - Gold

Do you want mine? 60gb ylod, heatgun fix didn't work, needs new screws for heat sink. (one of them stripped when i was putting it back together, phillips heads are horrible screws for this application)

But I am really confused why you just did not pick up a PS2.
    DIEDIEDIEDIEDIEDIE!

~There is no such thing as an unemployed gamer. You can either pay to play or you don't play at all~

PRO Member

I got my fatboy, the original one, that plays PS2 titles.

The only thing I don't like is that the wireless controller is not compatible with a PS2 title. Whenever you play a PS2 game, the controller has to be connnected to the system.

With so many HD remakes of great PS2 titles out there (ie. GoW, MGS, Sly) you really don't need a PS2 game compatible PS3...welcome the 21st century my friend, enjoy your stay

Perfect Platinum Streak Bar by RaveNScythE18

Platinum Bar by dsluckay

Kid, not loser

I never understood the big deal of playing PS2 games on the PS3. I guess it is more convenient than using a PS2, but still. I would rather play the HD or buy them over again in the store rather than risk scratching those discs any more, which was horrible.

Thanks to Bladia for the amazing Sig and Avy.

Lvl 5 - Silver

Bought the old 60gb myself, never played a single PS2 game on it. Got the YLOD last year sadly.
    INTERESTED IN YOUTUBE PARTNERSHIP? APPLY NOW!
    https://partner.makerstudios.com/?re...0UU00000048Wmj
    Check out my Videos!

Closing this account

Quote Originally Posted by Kid_Loser View Post
    I never understood the big deal of playing PS2 games on the PS3. I guess it is more convenient than using a PS2, but still. I would rather play the HD or buy them over again in the store rather than risk scratching those discs any more, which was horrible.
    You know Kid, I had wonder the same thing as well. I am trying to get rid of my PS2 games so I can exactly by them if or when Sony release them on the PS3.

PRO Member

I still have my other PS3 back in the states and I still want to play PS2 games that I know wont make it to the store

I guess I could have always bought a PS2 but being out here in Korea my options are limited

PRO Member

If I had the money I'd get one too, but for me it's more of a collector's value rather than using it to play

Lvl 7 - Gold

For one. You don't have to repay 10 bucks to replay games you already own. For two. I'm assuming most sold their PS2's. I know I did hence why I loved my launch 60 gig fatty. Sadly it died a few months back and I've had to upgrade.
    Doom runs a country, bitch! A nation of slaves! Dig you a grave! I'll make Umbrella look like Welfare, minimum wage! Doom is getting enraged! I come harder! Killed my ex-girlfriend and turned her into a suit of armor! Beat you to death with your legs, leave you in stitches, Marvel 2 is the shit, RE 5 is for bitches!

Sig made by Auburn
    First Latverian to Platinum Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater.

PRO Member

guess I will be one of those dragged in kicking and screaming to the 21st century lol. Eventually I'll upgrade but not while I can help it..

Deathless Destroyer

I have a 60GB model which died on me a few months ago after almost 6 years, if you want to have it. I'm going to attempt to fix it so I can retrieve my (over 40GB worth) of demos but you can have them if you want. PM me and we can settle a reasonable price. Note that reasonable is under the circumstances that my old PS3 was my best electronic friend and that I bought it for over $1000

Running with a 120GB slim model possibly until the PS4 comes out.
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, [I]120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 3 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Youtube Channel

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

illegal in 9 countries

I've got a launch Fatty and have used the PS2 B/C all of once.

PS2-era games are fugly by today's standards. Buy the HD collections instead for improved visuals and trophy support.

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

PRO Member

I understand that..hell I'm looking at getting a N64 they got in a pawnshop too I don't care about the graphics, its more the nostalgia factor

Suspended

Congratulations, I can't imagine how hard it may be to find one of those. I still have my 80GB fatass PlayStation 3, and I occasionally play FFX/XII on it, among other games (without including PS1 games).

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    PS2-era games are fugly by today's standards. Buy the HD collections instead for improved visuals and trophy support.
    Don't be gay, ant1. They may not look as great as new games, but there are still more and better games on the PS2 than in the PS3, and some of them aren't and most likely won't be re-skinned in HD (which isn't even HD lol). Also, who cares about them not having trophies? Specially you of all people, who has so many freaking games with trophies and won't even play 'em, let alone earn 'em .

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by ElvisShow View Post
    I understand that..hell I'm looking at getting a N64 they got in a pawnshop too I don't care about the graphics, its more the nostalgia factor
    I'm not the nostalgic type...onwards and upwards.

To answer the HDD question, all it'll do is increase storage capacity. Up to 1TB drives will fit if they're 2.5" and 9.5mm high.

Quote Originally Posted by Nagflar View Post
    Don't be gay, ant1. They may not look as great as new games, but there are still more and better games on the PS2 than in the PS3, and some of them aren't and most likely won't be re-skinned in HD (which isn't even HD lol). Also, who cares about them not having trophies? Specially you of all people, who has so many freaking games with trophies and won't even play 'em, let alone earn 'em .
    What can I say - I'm a happy guy

I'll get to most of my games eventually and they'll still be a new experience at that time, so that eliminates the nostalgia factor. The difference between the PS4 and the PS3 will be tiny in comparison to quantum leap from the PS2, so there's a lot of life in the PS3 yet.

I skipped the PS2, most of the games were pure shite compared to PC and most of the best PS2 games are now available on PS3 in HD. Since when is trophy support a bad thing?

PSN | Steam | XBL | Wii U | 3DS | iOS | OUYA : ant1th3s1s | Checklist of the Year (2012,2013)

Suspended

Quote Originally Posted by ant1th3s1s View Post
    What can I say - I'm a happy guy

I'll get to most of my games eventually and they'll still be a new experience at that time, so that eliminates the nostalgia factor.

I skipped the PS2, most of the games were pure shite compared to PC and most of the best PS2 games are now available on PS3 in HD. Since when is trophy support a bad thing?
    Yeah, I can tell you just went gay all of a sudden .

Well, that really depends on the games and what-not. That's a gigantic backlog you've got there, and it just keeps increasing instead of decreasing. Who knows if you'll have enough time to play all that .

I wouldn't say most, even if counting the "normal" editions you may find in the PlayStation Store. There are just too many of them.

There's nothing wrong with 'em, but that doesn't mean any game with them is instantly better than those without it (or a better reason to not replay old games). I'd rather replay Kingdom Hearts or Vice City on my PS3 than play x game on my PS3 just because it has trophy support.

illegal in 9 countries

Well, that really depends on the games and what-not. That's a gigantic backlog you've got there, and it just keeps increasing instead of decreasing. Who knows if you'll have enough time to play all that .

I wouldn't say most, even if counting the "normal" editions you may find in the PlayStation Store. There are just too many of them.
    A fair whack of my collection are kids and casual titles for my junior gamers. I'll probably never touch them, they weren't bought for me.

There's nothing wrong with 'em, but that doesn't mean any game with them is instantly better than those without it (or a better reason to not replay old games). I'd rather replay Kingdom Hearts or Vice City on my PS3 than play x game on my PS3 just because it has trophy support.
    Why play the shitty old PS2 versions when there are new and improved HD versions? Trophies and improved presentation give me a reason to play them, otherwise I'd skip them completely...PS2 games look truly awful on PS3. If I want to play ugly, low-res games, I'll fire up my Wii.

I don't play games just for trophies, I play what I want across all genres, depending where the mood takes me. Yes, that includes Monopoly Streets - it's fun to play with my family, the Plat is just a bonus

Deathless Destroyer

Games aren't about the graphics, they are about the gameplay. Sure the graphics are important but gameplay comes first. You surely wouldn't want some realistic graphic game with a terrible storyline which isn't close to interesting and makes no sense at all, would you? Why do people play, say, Mario or Pokemon, even though the graphics are pretty poor?
    PSN/Steam ID is Icaraeus / 2 PS3s - 60GB 1st Gen YLOD'd 7 years, [I]120GB Slim, 22 Games + Ton of Extras / PS4 500GB + 3 Games/ $1200 SuperPC since Feb14

Youtube Channel

Don't send blank requests or I will wreck you lel

Ghost Assassin

It's good that you managed to find one that works. I got an 80gb PS3 that came with the MGS4 bundle back in 2008, upgraded to a 500gb HDD. I got it because I was told about how they were phasing out backwards compatibility, so I decided it was the best time to finally get a PS3. I still have my PS2 and my games, but I don't really play them. I still might want to play them someday.

illegal in 9 countries

Quote Originally Posted by Encorporeus View Post
    Games aren't about the graphics, they are about the gameplay. Sure the graphics are important but gameplay comes first. You surely wouldn't want some realistic graphic game with a terrible storyline which isn't close to interesting and makes no sense at all, would you? Why do people play, say, Mario or Pokemon, even though the graphics are pretty poor?
    Of course graphics are important, but they're only one component.

Aren't you the guy who said you didn't play Mass Effect because the graphics were poor? The gameplay and the graphics are both exceptional, as is the story, character development and setting. A game like Mass Effect simply wasn't possible until this generation.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast